Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Famous voices and their pictures
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Famous voices and their pictures
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
happyhero
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Famous voices and their pictures Reply with quote

Hi

Can anybody help me. I have put the famous voices on my TomTom Go Classic and I found when I updated my software version all the pictures of the famous people ( so I know who it is I am selecting) turned to black silohettes. Some are not so easy to tell apart until you have used them a bit so it is annoying.

They seemed to be bmp files so why do they not work?

I tried deleting all the people and then reinstalling them but it did not help.

Any ideas?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

change the color depth of the BMPs to 256 colors, that should show them again.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
happyhero
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help but sorry how do you do that
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a graphics editor application such as Paint Shop or Photoshop.
happyhero
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I figured out how to do it, I have MGI image software and it has a facility to change the colours to 256, but I tried that, and even with keeping the file name the same and replacing the original file, but still it did not change.

I also then tried a lower setting making it 16 colours which is not a fantastic picture but good enough to see who it is, but that does not help.

Any idea what is the cause of the problem or anything else I should do?

It is really frustrating the way it is because you cannot tell who it is very easily on a few of them and it is even giving female silohettes to male voices.

Any help appreciated.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check also the image size. The ones I've just varified are 160x160 Pixels.
happyhero
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys thanks for all the help. Got there in the end. I experimented but found I had to do three things for them to display.

1. copy all files into a new folder called voices as advised on the actual TomTom site and you have to make sure you have a software version of 5 or higher for it all to work properly. They were doing odd things some of them with my old 4 version.

2. change all pictures to 256 colours as they come not all the same.

3. the last thing which I find odd is you had to save them with bmp extentions because if I saved them as bmp's but didn't bother to type the extention in they still stayed as silohettes, don't know why.

Also it offered me the chance to store them as 8 bits per pixel or 24, but this made no difference to picture quality, it only trippled the file size. Anyone know what goes on with these bits per pixel and can explain to me?

Hope this helps others. Cheers guys.
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

happyhero wrote:
Also it offered me the chance to store them as 8 bits per pixel or 24, but this made no difference to picture quality, it only trippled the file size. Anyone know what goes on with these bits per pixel and can explain to me?

8 bits per pixel gives you 256 colours (2^8 = 256). In other words 8 binary bits offer a range of decimal values between 0 and 255. So, each pixel on the screen can be one of 256 different colours.

I'm pretty sure that .bmp files are limited to 256 colours, so there is no point going beyond this.
happyhero
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok cheers PatC so I just waste drive space then for no benefit from what you say, but where do the extra kb go then. You'd think they would do something if you get bigger files?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

happyhero wrote:

3. the last thing which I find odd is you had to save them with bmp extentions because if I saved them as bmp's but didn't bother to type the extention in they still stayed as silohettes, don't know why.

Just think in terms of the internal workings. Part of the program will say "Fetch me a picture called "someceleb.bmp". If it can only find "someceeb", it has no idea whether it is the right file to use, there could be loads of files with the same name, just different extensions.

Windows is exactly the same, but many people don't realise it, because Microsoft decided to "hide" the extensions from people. ( In My Computer and Windows Explorer, you can stop it doing that by going to Tools / Folder Options / View Tab and unticking the "Hide Extensions for known file types" box).
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatC wrote:
I'm pretty sure that .bmp files are limited to 256 colours, so there is no point going beyond this.

you're pretty wrong here. BMPs support all kinds of color depths, from 1 BPP (black and white) to 32 BPP and beyond.

You probably think of GIF files - those are limited to 256 colors.

Normal Pocket PCs use 16 BPP (k565) but TomTom has chosen to use just 8 BPP in their UI. (earlier versions even used 4 BPP)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

happyhero wrote:
Ok cheers PatC so I just waste drive space then for no benefit from what you say, but where do the extra kb go then. You'd think they would do something if you get bigger files?

Actually I just checked and apparently you can now get 24 bit BMP files. I have no idea what would get put into the extra two bytes per pixel, as data cannot be created out of nothing. It seems rather academic though if the TomTom can only read and display 256 colour images.
happyhero
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
happyhero wrote:

Just think in terms of the internal workings. Part of the program will say "Fetch me a picture called "someceleb.bmp". If it can only find "someceeb", it has no idea whether it is the right file to use, there could be loads of files with the same name, just different extensions.

Windows is exactly the same, but many people don't realise it, because Microsoft decided to "hide" the extensions from people. ( In My Computer and Windows Explorer, you can stop it doing that by going to Tools / Folder Options / View Tab and unticking the "Hide Extensions for known file types" box).

Thanks Andy_P2002, I understand what you are saying, but the original files are bmp and if you save them as bmp, ie there is a drop down box that offers different formats, why does it matter whether you type the extention or not?

I always used to use the extention but because I never see it these days I tend to miss it off. A good example of this is when I save a word document, I never bother with the extention and it always know what to do with the file but TOMTOM couldn't do the same it seemed, have I got that right?
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
You probably think of GIF files - those are limited to 256 colors.

Yes, I probably was. Should have checked before posting rather than afterwards.

Quote:

Normal Pocket PCs use 16 BPP (k565) but TomTom has chosen to use just 8 BPP in their UI. (earlier versions even used 4 BPP)

Although the *10 does use 16 BPP.
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

happyhero wrote:
I always used to use the extention but because I never see it these days I tend to miss it off. A good example of this is when I save a word document, I never bother with the extention and it always know what to do with the file but TOMTOM couldn't do the same it seemed, have I got that right?

I suspect that when you save a Word document the .doc extension is added, but will usually remain hidden. I believe that Windows is dependent on this aspect of the DOS file naming structure to know what to do with a file. The Mac doesn't need file extensions, but that works differently.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: