Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Faulty Fortuna???? Please Help.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Faulty Fortuna???? Please Help.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NC35
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Faulty Fortuna???? Please Help. Reply with quote

Hi All

Just wondering if my Fortuna is faulty as I am having no luck at all with it.

From out of the box the initial fix took three days.

Now when paired with my H5450 PPC2003 & TTN2.24 GPS2.09 the "initial" fix is instant. After 20 mins or so the fix is lost never to return.

I was wondering if this is a problem with the iPAQ or the Fortuna and is there any way to test either.

Does the fortuna readily get a fix "standalone" or is the iPAQ needed together with GPS software? Any idea why the fix should be lost even when stationery?

Thanking you all in anticipation

Lee
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally the GPS receiver is completely independent of the connected device. It will also get a fix with no device connected.

Most of the programs are merely listening to what the GPS receiver has to say. Only very few try to program the receiver or reset it. But again this should not normally have any negative effect.

Are the batteries fully charged? Anything else you noticed? Something maybe mentioned in our review? http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/gpsmart.php

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Matrox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Join the Club NC35.
I have been watching the Fortuna problems over the last few months and thought i would add mine to the list. I have a GPSmart bt which worked great for a few months. Now despite new Alkaline batteries i find that despite there being indications of from 3 to 8 satellites giving readings of 35 to 45 (it says in the manual 0 to 100% but full scale on mine is 49) it will not get a fix. And that is any location, any weather situation, any time of day.
I use(d) it with my bluetooth Clie NX73V and Fugawi. After reading the majority of forums i now know that the cable that came with it is NOT the cable for updating the Firmware (mine is presently V2.25) but probably just for powering the unit. I have just purchased the correct USBa-Serial-USBb cable (www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk £18.46 including post ) which has a USB to serial converter circuit embeded halfway down the cable. I briefly tried this over the weekend and, using Fortunas USB Driver for Windows XP, The new FortunaSyn[http://www.fortuna.com.tw/Support_GPSmart.htm/download/FortunaSync.zip] and, once i had selected the COMM Port and BAUD rate it connected. Next I want to try the new Beta firmware upgrade using the same program and hope that it will kick it back to life. Failing that, as it is still within warranty, send it back as have so many others! ....Or have i missed something obvious? Fortuna need to address their customers problems with their equipment, in a more professional manner. The fortuna website could be improved for a start.
Sorry about the soapbox but this unit has spoiled my Geocaching for the last 4 months!!!! Evil or Very Mad

[/url][url][/url]
DeeJay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly new to the GPS/Fortuna world myself, but a couple
of thoughts -

NC35/Lee:

Lutz is far better informed than I, but I endorse what he says -
the receiver is simply reporting what it 'sees', it doesn't know
or care whether there is an 'interpeter' connected or listening
at the end of the cable. 3 days to get a fix then losing it after
20 minutes sounds odd! Is this in the open air with a clear view
of much of the horizon? And in case it makes a difference,
you don't seem to have said which Fortuna model you have.

There is an article elsewhere on this site about testing a GPS
receiver.

Matrox:

"I have a GPSmart bt which worked great for a few months. Now despite new Alkaline batteries i find that despite there being indications of from 3 to 8 satellites giving readings of 35 to 45 (it says in the manual 0 to 100% but full scale on mine is 49) it will not get a fix."

Is it that the RECEIVER won't 'fix', or that the PDA claims there isn't
a fix? On the GPSmartBT, with 4+ sats in view, do you get a 2D or
3D indicator on the LCD of the GPS itself?

My reason for asking is that in my experience the very fragile Beta
release of FortunaSync SWITCHES OFF the NMEA output from the
GPSmart and puts it into SIRF mode. Thereafter, of course, any
connected device that wants NMEA as its input will claim (correctly)
that it can't see any data coming from the GPS.

In the absence of documentation to support FortunaSync my
advice, if you still want to dig deeper holes, would be to use
the DOCUMENTED method of upgrading the firmware - there is
a file abou this archived in the Downloads section of this site,
and at other GPS sites there is documentation on how to reflash
WITHOUT opening the case.

DJ
Matrox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dee Jay
In stand alone mode when i switch on it says 'please wait' until it states 'OK', switch to 'Menu', 'Satellites' there is no indicator in the top left saying 2D or 3D, despite there being minimum of 3 satellites usually 5 to 8 in this area. Switch back to Menu and the ? is flashing. Certainly the PDA or laptop does not work if not 'Fixed'. In 'Position' the position is jumping around.
I have'nt got around to fashing the Unit yet. I was going to spend some time reading up on it first. Preferably without opening it up, although i know its a version without a 'link' connector inside, and to be on the safe side reflash it with its present version.

JG
DeeJay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JG -

"In stand alone mode when i switch on it says 'please wait' until it states 'OK', switch to 'Menu', 'Satellites' there is no indicator in the top left saying 2D or 3D, despite there being minimum of 3 satellites usually 5 to 8 in this area. Switch back to Menu and the ? is flashing. Certainly the PDA or laptop does not work if not 'Fixed'. In 'Position' the position is jumping around. "

In my humble opinion, that sounds 'broken'. (Others more
confident and experienced are welcome to argue... )

Before sending it back, my last shot would be to take the
batteries out and leave it for 'long enough' for the beast to
drop back to factory-fresh settings. (Does anyone know how
long 'long enough' is? ) But if the corruption is in the same
'flash' memory used to hold the base firmware then this
won't help I guess...

(Did it show this 'broken' behaviour before using the
full connecting cable and FortunaSync?)

Have you tried the diagnostics written up on this site under
GPS Reviews/PDA GPS Software/Technical/Tweak and Test ?

Good luck -

DJ
Matrox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DeeJay,
Yes I have tried taking the batteries out for around 5 days which in theory should be long enough and tried the 'default' reset with the same result. I have checked out the Technical page which has useful info but none to help. The software relates to Pocket PC i have found the Vito Navigator is available in Palm. I have downloaded it and hopefully it will work in demo as otherwise its $16. Not a lot but after other purchases (i.e. cable) these things add up. I will check it out tonight.
I have only just received the cable so have not 'broken' it that way. Actually if i get the unit working the cable would be useful now for uploading data as it it such a pain in standalone.

JG
Matrox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: GPSmartBT Firmware V2.26 Reply with quote

Still persevering with trying to hook up the GPSmart BT via the USB to serial lead. The Comms port likes to reset itself to other Port numbers on restarting the PC.
Regarding the firmware upgrade i now see it is past its Beta version as from last Tue 30th March 2004. http://www.fortuna.com.tw/download/GPSamrtV2_26.zip
Hopefully its not an April Fools trick Rolling Eyes
Hope to try flashing it this weekend after reading up on SiRFs Manual for the SiRFDemos program.

JG
roger_fylde
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is too sppokey - exactly the same problems I have! EXACTLY - gets fix failry quickly from a cold start - then - refuses to 'lock on' even with 8 sat's at over 40!! It is by far the crappest piece of GPS kit I have used (and I've used 5 so far)!
Did upgrading the firware work? I have 2.25 - and short of chucking it against the wall....

please respond - if it works - I'll invest in a cable and upgrade - no problem - if not - I'm going to Taiwan and knocking on some doors!!
Matrox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated to V2.26 with many, many problems along the way largely due to COMM port settings. When I tried flashing it failed with the unit having a blank screen. The way I managed to bring it back to life was to go inside and fit the link (or should I say solder one on as it is a newer unit) and still using the USB to serial cable and SiRFflash, and flashed it using V2.26, switched off removed link, batteries in, switched on and hey presto V2.26. It has a slightly different display in 'setup' showing each setting as you scroll over each line which saves a few button presses. Also setting 'go to' co-ordinates is thankfully a lot quicker now, badly needed.
Thought everything had sorted itself out regarding fixes as it started working fine again, however tried it on a trip York to Whitby (UK). Lost fix despite 7/8 sats, 10 miles out of York, then batteries went flat. New batteries in Whitby, no fix until i arrived in York 1.5 hours and 50 miles later. It was slightly overcast but sunny all way back and again 7 satellites showing, mostly 80-90% strength. Inside my house when i got back I had 3 sats showing and a 2D fix!!
Something else i have noticed is that the GPSmart often resets itself i.e. suddenly restarts despite having a fix or not. Getting to the point where this unit is going to be discarded. Anyone else with similar problems?
JG Evil or Very Mad
roger_fylde
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in touch with joanne at fortuna with my issues and she has asked about the shape of the circles on the display - are they circular or a bit wobbly - mine are usually woblly!

Will let you all kow what happens.
For Info - mine was bought in October. Wasn't used since Jan, put new batteries in - got a lock after 2 sets and an open sky with loads of saty's.
Now - when (if!) I get a lock - moving it or looking at it looses the lock!!

Roger
leito
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Flashing a dead unit Reply with quote

Matrox, can you pease tell more details. I did open my unit (produced 0327, I guess) and found nothing that can be used for flashing. One side is the daugther board with the SIRF chip. Other side is display, light board and the mainboard is shielded.
Must say that the design regarding reload of firmware is a bad design. A good design should hava a "read only" bootloader and a reloadable FW part.
Also the application to do the download could have a safer design, with stronger warnings and checks.
leito Twisted Evil
Matrox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Leito, You need to open the unit and solder 2 pins near the USB connector and then short them. Then use SIRFflash. http://pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=6.
Follow this link for more accurate instructions. http://galinette.homelinux.com/~bhubert/fortuna/index.html It worked for me although i still have problems with it not getting a fix despite seeing 3 to 8 sats! Evil or Very Mad
JG
roger_fylde
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GPSmart is now on a well deserved holiday - back to Taiwan.
Hope it sends a post card!

Fortuna have asked me to send it back so they can assess it - before I assessed it into a wall!
I'll keep the forum updated!
leito
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: SIRFlash works!! Thanks Matrox!! Reply with quote

Hi,

Followed the instruction given by Matrox AND IT WORKS!
Have now 2.26 and will rush out in the dark night to test

thanks again,Happy Happy

Leif

to find my place:
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=sm5vxo

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: