Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Jittery CoPilot in walking mode
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Jittery CoPilot in walking mode

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnbarnes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Jittery CoPilot in walking mode Reply with quote

I have CoPilot 6.0.1.68 used with an iPAQ 5550 and a GlobalSat BT338, used mainly for vehicle navigation. Recently I used this combination in Walking mode and found it almost unusable because the display jumped around so much.

Changing the Map Rotation setting to "North Up" helped only slightly. The display jumped around far too much for me to tap on roads and POIs to get information.

Running Pocket Streets on the same hardware is perfectly usable, the GPS position jumps about a little, but the map is quite steady and easy to read and interact with.

There seems to be something CoPilot is doing wrong - could it be that CoPilot holds the current position steadier at the expense of a more jumpy display? At any rate Pocket Streets is clearly making a much better job of handling the GPS position data than CoPilot does.

Does anyone know if there is anything I can do to improve the usability of walking mode? I have reported the problem to ALK.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you probbably need to turn static navgation off on the gps receiver

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Jittery CoPilot in walking mode Reply with quote

johnbarnes wrote:
Recently I used this combination in Walking mode and found it almost unusable because the display jumped around so much.

I remember something like this from the days when I used to suffer with CoPilot 5. If you were moving at less than 5 mph then the display didn't update. Once you had moved 100 meters or so, the display updated. It was a real PITA. This was definately CoPilot and not Static Navigation on the GPS receiver because other GPS programs behaved correctly.

I think the workaround was to change the navigation mode, though I can't remember which one of the 4 I had to use.
johnbarnes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you probbably need to turn static navgation off on the gps receiver

I believe static navigation is off by default and should be off for usage at walking speed. To have it on would make position reporting too infrequent, as Skippy describes. Seems like CoPilot is not smoothing the errors in GPS position reporting as well as Pocket Streets does?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: