Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Upgrade or Not
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrade or Not

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Upgrade or Not Reply with quote

Seems to me that there is as many bugs in CP6 as there is in CP5.

Coupled with the fact I can't determine how much more up to date the CP6 maps are, is it worth upgrading?

Maybe we should wait for CP7.

GB

Just found a rival site offering a free camera database...................... Laughing
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade or Not Reply with quote

GrimBeard wrote:
Just found a rival site offering a free camera database.

Interesting to know how they obtained the seed data, assuming that it is anything like up-to-date. Because if they 'borrowed' the data from here, that means that they are also using the data that I provided to this forum, but have not given any third-party free use of. If so, it doesn't sound like these people have any more integrity than they are probably accusing the owners of this forum as having. Wink

Mind you, if they really are a rival site to this one, I presume that they have a very large user base that has been able to instantly drive past all of the cameras and provide the data from scratch. Rolling Eyes

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point was, should I upgrade? I notice you have, was it worth the £100 or £50 or whatever it costs, bearing in mind I need the Europe expansion as well.

On your other point which I was trying not to make................Most of us have the relevant files on our PC's that we used in the update of our GPS, for instance I keep all the xls files and ditch the rest. All they have to do is copy & paste the xl cells and there you go, new database. I can't see how anyone can claim ownership of, or restrict the use of, a bunch of co-ordinates.

But let's not start that one, upgrade or not, thats the question.

GB
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoPilot 6 still has fundemental issues (as in program design/routing), but so far as major bugs are concerned, it seems to be far better than I expected. You only have to see the issues with the initial release of the latest version of TomTom, and compare that with the issues with the initial release of CP to see what I mean. ALK have certainly done a better job there.

On the whole, I would say that it is an improvement upon CP5, with few areas which are a retrograde step - again unlike between CP4 and 5 and TomTom 3 & 5 (what happened to 4?) My initial investigations only seem to reveal the removal of the Navigation mode, and one of the two info lines in driver safety mode.

The 7 digit postcode is a bit of a dissapointment, but it would seem that ALK have confirmed that this is a problem with the data supplied to them - I just hope that we are provided an update to the incomplete data free of charge, as it falls a bit short of what was claimed.

So far as the maps themselves are concerned, there have been changes, but how they will affect any individual, very much depends upon whether the changes are in an area they will be driving, great for some, little change for others.

I can only say how I find it, and not having used any other software other than CoPilot 5, I cannot compare it to other applications. I am generally happy with my upgrade (UK only), and wouldn't wish to go back to the previous version (which I was also happy with).

Hopefully, some of the bugs will be corrected shortly, ALK are unfortunately dragging thir heels with the bug fixes.
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, folks I thought I'd resurrect this post. Now the Patch (Bug Fix!) is out is it worth £100 to upgrade?

The observant of you will remember my post "Fed up and Going" well I tried, really hard, but the fact is i didn't find anything better worth putting £300-£500 in. If I had found something I'd have bought it there and then.

There are not that many mapping companies out there and apart from the user interfaces sat nav's are all basically the same, and all have their own bugs.

Does anyone know of a sat nav system that has up to date maps, no bugs and a good user interface.

What about the BlueMedia 6300 with TMC anyone use one of these.

GB
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimbeard

Route calculation is much improved over CP 5, although it is still in need of improvement, as are other aspects, which I have mentioned on several other threads.

As you know, you do get 7-digit postcodes with this version. Despite some problems with it, it is worth having.

The introduction of the OV2 file method of import makes available a long list of public domain POI databases, written up for another well-known navigator programme, to choose from. For example, you would be able you find the nearest Sainsbury or Tesco - invaluable if you if you work away from home a lot.

The other change that some Smile consider significant is the availability on the PPC of Advanced Settings, similar to CP 5's desktop version, to change the weightings used in route calculation.

The latest patch brings improvements - and a disimprovement - to the speed camera warnings.

There are other minor changes, and there are some bugs, which are discussed on appropriate threads. However, CP 6 is essentially CP 5 with the above changes.

I'll leave to to consider whether the price of an upgrade is worth it.

Paul
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ponderous

BTW whats the dis-improvement to the POI Speed Camera Warnings?

GB
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It no longer shows the speed limit when displaying the camera warning.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it fixable by PGPSW putting the @ 'at' text back in or ALK making CP6 use the info that is still in the Camera database download.

I still use CP5 and the xls files to update, I'm sure the speeds are still quoted in the database.

GB
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that some of the technical contributors, of which I am not one, would have come up with that if it was possible. The display includes current road speed (which can already be displayed in two positions in Copilot - not to mention the vehicle speedometer). Therefore, I don't think that can be readily replaced with speed limit. Hopefully, someone will post below and prove me wrong.

While writing, I'll just mention the smiley included in my larger post above. It was actually meant to be at the bottom of the post, not in the middle there. Maybe a Freudian one, that!!
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comments to ALK:
The new Safety Alerts in v6.0.1.68 give no indication as to type of camera, or the speed limit. All we have is a warning of a camera and the rather useless information of the speed you are currently travelling at - which is also given by the car's speedo.

ALK's response with my comments in brackets []
In regards to your enquiry, the new update has been designed so that it just gives you the speed [it also includes red light] camera alert. It is not intended to be a speed camera detector [I don't think I implied anything along those lines], but purely to notify you of the cameras presence[and I really appreciate the countdown and retention of the map].

However if you disable the new speed camera feature by un ticking the box, you can still go back to the old method of enabling the speed cameras by selecting them through the POI option in the travel and transportation [However the TTS doesn't work correctly with the files - and before anyone asks, I am a member using files downloaded directly from this site].

---------------
I have, however, managed to improve the situation somewhat, by prefixing the names of the ov2 and associated bmp files (as consolodated by type) with 'safetycamera', so that at least the graphic on the map gives some kind of indication as to type of camera. I haven't been entirely sucessfull with the full set of files.

If ALK chose to display the associated bmp file in place of the current standard safety camera graphic in the yellow box - the problem could sort itself out, and automatically cater for any new camera types. Another advantage of using this method, is that it would not have to refer to any data in the file itself. Where there is more than one camera, you would also know the type of camera the countdown was referring to.

Now if they really wanted to become flash, a POI system which as well as having a bmp file associated with an OV2 file, had an OGG file too - now I can see potential with that.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is worth mentioning another advantage of the OV2 file import method for POIs .

Using utilities provided on this website (the great work of some of the moderators and members) Not Worthy , POIs created by other programmes - notably Autoroute/Pocket Streets - can readily be transferred to Copilot. This is so good that, already having those two programmes, I have not bothered trying the "old" Copilot import method carried over from CP 5 to CP 6, which gave poor results before, at least because of the then 5-digit postcodes, but perhaps also because of other factors.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry GrimBeard, I've just realised, that before I confirmed my post I must have deleted the bit that answered your question about is it worth upgrading to v6.

I would say that the cost of an upgrade (if still available) is round about what you would expect to pay for updated maps, and in my opinion, the application is improved overall, so I would say YES.

Although I would have wished for more (who doesn't?) I have no regrets. The only qualification I would possibly have, is the likely release date for the next version; if it is soon, you may be better waiting for CP7, but that could be many months away.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: