Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS status indicator bars
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS status indicator bars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: GPS status indicator bars Reply with quote

When using TT with a Navman 3400, I never seem to get any red bars on the left hand side of the screen, even when the signal is ok. Does anyone else have this problem?
Trevor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... I have had the same problem for about the last week. Have tried reinstalling TT2.24, GPS2.08 and the Navman drivers all to no avail. Any suggestions gratefully received.
Trevor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wasted a couple of hours removing TT2.24 GPS2.08 and the GB maps for good measure. Reinstalled all from original disk and guess what. Still no red status bars on the GPS. Wonderful any ideas people........ Crying or Very sad
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you previously had SmartST Pro installed ? If so, did you install Service Pack 1 ?
Trevor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have still got SmartST Pro installed with both Service Packs 1 and 2. I know it was ok with Service Pack 1 because I had SmartST before TomTom but Service Pack 2 is fairly recent so it does make me wonder!!!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor, definately in SP1 and I can't remember if it did it in SP2, but Navman basically turned off the GPGSA and GPGSV tags in the NMEA data stream to help speed up their sleeves for acquisition. This has the adverse effect with other applications that you won't see any sat bars, e.g. TomTom Navigator 2.

What you need to do is to modify these by going into WinFast Navigator and turning on the GPGSA and GPGSV.

Follow this document on how to download WinFast Navigator and how to connect to the GPS Receiver...
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/winfastnavigatorppc.php

Basically once you've installed WinFast Navigator and connected to the GPS Receiver, go into TOOLS | COMMAND | NMEA

Make sure the baud rate shows the baud rate you connected to the GPS Receiver on. Also make sure that GGA=1, GGL=0, GSA=5, GSV=5, RMC=1, VTG=1, MSS=0, User=0, User=0, User=0.

Once disconnected, you should then be able to run up TTN2 and get sat bars.
Trevor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, Brilliant. Followed your instructions to the letter and now have the sat bars and infomation back.
Many Thanks Trevor Thumbs Up
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb Thumbs Up I've made this a sticky message in the forum for others who experience this problem.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Minor Issue Reply with quote

I have found the the 2.08 TomTom GPS application seizes the bluetooth port even when it is not in use and this prevents WinFast navigator or any other program from opening the COM8 port. I tried temporarily setting the TomTom GPS app to use another port, but this did not work and the only way I could get Winfast to work was by uninstalling the TomTom GPS app.

Incidently I did not have a GPS problem but it seemed yesterday I could not get a good fix as all the satellites I was picking up appeared to be in the same sector of sky.
pdes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

I need a little help here.

I'm using my Navman sleeve on my iPAQ 5550 for TTN2. TTN2 seems to work fine but, per the sticky, I have no bars on the GPS status screen. I followed the instructions with regard to winfastnavigator but, despite trying all the settings (there aren't many to choose from!) I saw no data flowing. Also, the parameters were all set correctly.

Navman/Smartstpro also still works OK

Any ideas what else coule be wrong?

Cheers,

David
pdes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a bit more info. Hopefully this will provoke a comment:

When the application starts and I go to "port settings" I get the message "couldn't find value". If I OK this a couple of times, I get to the port settings screen and can make the necessary changes. I am pretty sure I have the settings correct as Navman says which port and speed. Also, the round indicator at the bottom of the screen flashes which, I presume means that a connection with the sleeve has been established. One question: will there be data received and shown when there are no satellities in view? e.g when in doors r will the screen remain blank.

Would really appreciate some comments.

Regards,

David
stevie1965
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appear to have the same problem as pdes - I have followed the instructions with regard to winfastnavigator and have the correct settings but still no satellite bars and also my map display constantly states "GPS unreliable".

Does anyone have any more ideas? Is it possible to identify the SmartST files that may have caused the problem in order to remove them?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no 'files' to edit or delete as these settings are stored in the GPS receivers firmware. Winfast is a method of modifying these firmware settings.

When you attempt to connect with Winfast, have you ensured that SmartST is not running in the background? What COM Port are you connecting via?
pdes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my setup I am using COM 4 which is what is indicated in the SmartSt GPS Status page. SmartSt is not running. I have re-booted many times to ensure that Winfast is the only app running.

Regards

David
stevie1965
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren

SmartST is no longer on my ipaq, just the 3.1.6 driver.

The reason I asked about deletable files is that in another thread on this subject it was suggested that the issues may have only arisen since installing the SmartST service pack 2. As a reasonably new user I have noticed that the uninstaller does not appear to clean all related files from an IPAQ and wondered if it may be a remaining file that is responsible for causing the problem.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: