Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PalmOne GPS Navigator Receiver
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PalmOne GPS Navigator Receiver

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tpmann
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: PalmOne GPS Navigator Receiver Reply with quote

Installed everything correctly including TomTom 5, but my GPS Reciever cannot find a signal.

In TomTom, the GPS status screen says "Waiting for a valid GPS signal..."

Reciever is the PalmOne Bluetooth GPS Reciever.

Any help would be appreciated.
andyv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the same palmone bt gps a few weeks ago, and my partner got one last week. They both took a while to pick up a good gps signal out of the box - maybe 1/2-1 hour - and the newer one seemed to take the longest. I was looking into the new one over the weekend, which seemed to be losing the gps signal regularly when driving. Looking at the gps status screen, for some reason it was showing 5-6 sats (with good signal), but in grey rather the blue - i guess for some reason it thought these signals were no good. Anyway, i left it in the back garden for a while (about 1/2 hour i think) and it seemed to sort itself out, and left it one when we took the dog for a walk so it was always getting a good signal (about 1 hour). Seems better now - it would pick up and get a fix in about 10 seconds when we tried it over the next few hours. Not sure hows its working now - i'll ask tonight and post...

I think i read in a post here somewhere that it took 2 weeks for somebody's gps to sort itself out and become reliable.

Also think i read somewhere that it might say 'waiting for gps signal...' when it means 'waiting for bluetooth connection...'

Are you sure the bluetooth connection is ok? Have you left it a while (1 hour, maybe more) with a big sky to see?

Andy
tpmann
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Cheers for the tips. Followed everything - left it in my car for a while, now it gets a fix much faster. Picking up 4-5 satellites now.

Think I was using far too close to a building before, and also I didn't leave it stationary when it was in my car before.

Testing it out on the road tonight, hopefully it will keep a fix up on the journey.

Thanks again!
Glasstream15
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All GPS recievers take some time, as much as an hour, to initialize on first use. They MUST be left stationary with a good sky view during this time. And, if you take it 20 or 30 miles away turned off and then turn it on it may take awhile to reset. Always start from the last location the receiver knew. That saves it from having to relocate itself.

And this goes for everything from pocket units to $1000+ professional nav systems.
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glasstream15 wrote:
if you take it 20 or 30 miles away turned off and then turn it on it may take awhile to reset. Always start from the last location the receiver knew. That saves it from having to relocate itself.

And this goes for everything from pocket units to $1000+ professional nav systems.

My Holux GR-213 wired receiver doesn't seem to suffer from this problem. I was going down the motorway at 70 ish, unplugged the power to the receiver, left it for 20 mins, then stopped at a service station, restarted my journey and 5 mins or so later at 70 ish, reconnected the power to my Tom Tom T3 carkit, and by the time tom tom had started, it had a fix. I recon that I was 20-25 miles away from its previously known position.
HuttonIT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a PalmOne Bluetooth GPS Receiver and it takes about 20 seconds to find it's self even on the window inside my dining room....... 1/2 and hour to initialise I don't think so.
As for switching it on from the last location I carry mine in my pocket up to London and use it up there as a hand held and it works in my pocket. OK not a brilliant signal but it never the less works fine. But i don't cary it switched on all the way up to london. A GPS which can't find it's self wouldn't me much good now would it? Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: