Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS System in Metal-Clad Motorhome.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS System in Metal-Clad Motorhome.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: GPS System in Metal-Clad Motorhome. Reply with quote

Hi,
I wish to use a GPS system in a Motorhome.
My problem is that the Motorhome construction is an Aluminium skin over a timber frame. This construction overhangs the drivers cab by about 1/2 metre.
1) Would, say, the Tomtom Bluetooth GPS work satisfactorily on or near the Motorhome dashboard (Aluminium clad overhang!!!!)?
2) If not, what GPS would you guys advise me to go for?
3) Would I possibly need a separate aerial with the GPS?
Your advice would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

I wouldnt like to hazard a guess about the capability of GPS reception under the overhang. It is possible it will work with lower signal levels, but if not there are still a couple of options open to you.

1) Get a re-radiating antenna, there are reviews on the site. This you can have it sticking through your roof vent. This will than retransmit the GPS signals within the camper.

2) If you are using Bluetooth then you copuld mount the receiver under the roof vent. You can use the PDA up to 10 meters away.

3) buy a GPS receiver that can be placed outside your camper and route the cable inside whilst driving. Not an ideal solution but should work.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the overhang probably won't be too bad, like Mike says, you may get a drop in signal, the worst problem will be seeing the sky directly above you. If you were travelling in a single direction, e.g. North then this might concern me a bit. You could still easily go with any Bluetooth GPS Receiver like TomTom or Emtac that have an external antenna socket of MMCX type, then purchase a patch lead afterwards that would plug directly into the Bluetooth Recevier, you usually have 2-3 meters of straight cable which could then take the patch antenna outside and mounted to the bonnet where there isn't an overhang or to the roof (the external patch antenna would be magnetic to fix it to the bodywork. This would certainly work well, and still give the option to use Bluetooth without the patch antenna if you wanted to go walking.
bobbie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to both Mike and Dave for your prompt responses.
From your comments, I believe a Bluetooth GPS will be the best course of action,
Thanks again,
Bob Thumbs Up
Nomad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: GPS reception in a Motorhome Reply with quote

Going with a Bluetooth GPS is the safest and neatest option. There is a loss of signal due to the overhang and you will not have to bother routing wires to an external antenna. I put mine in the rear skylight resting on the the fly screen with the PDA mounted on the top of the dashboard using a 14inch Arkon suction mount. Works very well and I can usually see 9 statellite whereas with the GPS on the dashboard this is cut to 4.

Nomad
bobbie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Nomad,
Sounds good to me,
Best regards,
Bob

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: