Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom5 running on Medion MD96800 mdpna250
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom5 running on Medion MD96800 mdpna250
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
niallf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats,

Points in order:
I have a Medion folder in the MD96800's root directory. Not sure it really matters where the modded .reg folder is, Regedit probably sorts it out automatically.

There's a gx.dll file in the packdllxania.zip collection. You don't need it, so that's OK!

I think if you install from CD the unexpanded .CAB files are put in the \windows \ appmgr \ install directory

TT.CAB file Wierd, don't really understand how it runs without managing to delete the set-up file in the .CAB, though I admit I didn't try this step without modifying the CAB file.

Now that I've installed the Camera Databases and enabled the POI stuff in TT5, signals for camera warnings do seem to send the map a bit wierd. It then sorts itself out. The warnings work OK though.

Have fun in Oz.
niallf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Message for Wando, not sure if my PM reply reached you so...

In summary problem getting voice to work...

Have you expanded the .CAB file from the \ Windows \ AppMgr \ Install directory in the PDA?

When you install TT5 from the disk it puts four .CAB files into this directory. One of these is the Voice file. This needs to be 'Run' to expanded in the MD96800 using the START\RUN option and then select BROWSE to find the Navigator.cab file. You may need to change the Type window in the browser to ALL FILES (*.*) to see the file. Now select it, it will appear in the window as \ Windows \ AppMgr \ Install\Navigator.Cab and then click OK

Once this is done, the voice should be installed and the .CAB file will automatically be deleted from the directory.

If you've done all this and it's still not working, let me know and I'll find where the voice files are installed in the PDA.

Niall

Oh, one silly thought is that the TT5 volume settings are independant of the MD96800. If you adjust the 'joystick' up and down it will adjust the volume, try this in case the volume's at min.
exbootneck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: re the above post Reply with quote

Oh there was one small piece of info to add to the last post. Once it had all been loaded I couldn't get it to recognise any GPS signal. I had selected the one tha Niallf had advised us to do, however once I configured the Baud rate to 4800 it worked fine. I then gave the system a hard reset and tried it all again, no dramas.
exbootneck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: POI on medion Reply with quote

Hi all, well the medion is now up and running with maps of UK, europe and the USA. its almost perfect with one small glitch. I can't get the UK POI to work. the menu is there but when i use tomtom to select smething like a car park or hospital , i get the message " no matches found"
any one got any ideas. it'll probably be somethng simple i've overlooked.
exbootneck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: POI Reply with quote

Hi all, just a small enquiry. in the tomtom programm i can select which POI's i'd like to have activated. when I select them it puts a tick in the box. however if i try to navigate to a POI it tells me there are none to be found. so the question is where should the POI folder be? in the SD card or in the MD96800 files some where? any suggestions?

Last edited by exbootneck on Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
exbootneck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: POI Reply with quote

ok I stumbled across the solution by trial and error. After all the modifications have been made. I erased the spare 1gb SD card i was using. I then went back to TT nav 5 installation, and selected add maps. this time I installed the maps only to the card using the card reader method as opposed to the USB cable directly to the medion. after testing it out the POI still didn't work i then loaded the card with two more files, POI.DAT and POI after that all is well. thanks to al involved.
bald-bloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: medion 250 with tom tom 5 Reply with quote

Hi,

Great work Niallf. Thanks for sharing.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why I have no voice? Each time I attempt to choose a voice the screen says "You did not select a usable voice". (Even when using the test function in the tomtom/change voice options it says that the voice selected is not usable.)

I have installed the tom tom voice 05.cab file that was in the windows/app mgr/install folder. It would appear to install ok but still no voice. I have followed all the steps as closely as I could but there are a couple of points that I may have gone astray on...

1. I could not find DX.DLL file. After a while I realised that this should read GX.DLL. After deleting GX.DLL screen was working fine.

2. Are Pack.DLL and packdllxania one and the same thing? I downloaded packdllxania and installed this but could not locate any file called Pack.DLL. If Pack.DLL is required, it doesn't seem to be available for download. Can anyone point me in the right direction here, please?

Thanks
bald-bloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: fix for voices Reply with quote

Hi,

Re: "not selecting a usable voice" problem. Now solved.

As far as I am aware, each voice consists of 3 component files: .bmp, .chk and .vif.

Problem was that even though I (thought) I had installed the voice cab file properly, the extracted component files could not be found anywhere on my Medion device. When a voice is selected, Tom Tom looks for a folder called Voices and then utilises the files found therein.

To resolve this problem I created a new folder in the root directory of the Medion. Renamed this folder as "voices". Then copied the component files for each voice to this folder. Success.

:D

Hope this info is useful to anyone with similar problem.
exbootneck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: POI Reply with quote

ok one more thing I've found by accident, I have a folder called POI with over 1500 files in it. they range from 4X4 agents to zoos. each has two icons a dat file and a bmp file. if these are selected in pairs and copied to the GB+ map folder on the SD card, hey presto they are now on the map and also in the TT POI flies.

Last edited by exbootneck on Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
skibeaver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom 5 on Medion 96800 Reply with quote

Hi,
Just bought one from Aldi, can someone please tell me if i start to change all the settings can i get back to all that is preloaded if i make a hash of it
Dont want to ruin it
Many Thanks
Skibeaver
bald-bloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Factory reset Reply with quote

Skibeaver,

Yes.

Switch the unit off via the recessed on/off switch on the rear of the unit. Insert the original memory card supplied with it . Switch it back on. the system will now copy appropriate files in to the medion device. When asked "Do you wish to save previous settings?", it may be wise to answer NO.

Unit is then back to original condition.
skibeaver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for that
Will give it a try, but not too good with computers
skibeaver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Help please Reply with quote

set up tom tom on 96800
but error message says no gps device
Can anyone tell me how to change the settings as i cannot find an option to do so
Thanks
skibeaver
dabut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skibeaver
when you start tt5 tap screen and then change prefs then gps/configure.go to other nmea/4800 baud rate/serial cable sp2 and see if that works you should see the small black/yellow circle spinning if so leave until you get a satlock pref ouside
dfurdog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Medion MD96800 MDPNA250 Reply with quote

Hi I have installed TomTom5 (not as an Upgrade but from an original TT5 disk) and the only problems I have is that the map screen goes haywire when the voice directions are given, and then returns to normal, this is not too good if there are quite a few voice directions one after another. If you turn off the voice, the maps navigate as normal, also if I input my home address, as soon as I come out of TomTom and then I go back in, its forgotten the home address again.
I have tried reinstalling, hard and soft resets etc etc.
Just for info if you are installing TT5 direct from a TT5 disk and not from an upgrade from an earlier version, the install is slightly different to described in theses forums, I found that the voice files were loaded onto the medion unit (not the card) in the "TomTom" folder, if you change the name of the folder to "Voices" the voices work ok.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: