Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Quick question GPRS and tomtom 910
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Quick question GPRS and tomtom 910

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mplaczek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Quick question GPRS and tomtom 910 Reply with quote

Hi Peeps, Probably a really stupid question... I have never used the GPRS on my phone, so I'm probably doing something really basic wrong. Embarassed

My phone (Samsung D-500) connects wirelessly to my tomtom910 for hands free use in the car perfectly. But I can't seem to establish a wireless GPRS connection for the other PLUS services like traffic etc. Is there anything I need to do on the phone?

Is there something really basic that I am missing out on?

Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated! :D

I plan on posting a review on the new 910 as soon as I have time to type on up for you lot!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all not all service providers have the GPRS enabled against the your mobile number, so give the support number a ring, it should be on last bill.

Not all service providers allow GPRS on pay as you go tarrifs either.

A final point watch the cost, I got clobbered last week with a bill of £xx £18 of which was for GPRS and I hadn't used it much (less than 10MB of data) so it is expensive if you use it alot. For the taffic I will wait until the TMC unit comes out and will be using that - Mike
dannyoneill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have pre-arranged GPRS with your provider expect to pay about £1 per meg (MB). If not it can be as high as £8 per MB. Thats expensive.

However a quick chat with your provider can net you unlimited GPRS for just a few quid a month.

You will need to ensure its full internet access. If your on PAYG then its likely WAP internet, its like a special mini net and totally useless.
mplaczek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on a contract so that is a good start I guess... Confused
I'm tempted to go TMC when the hardware comes out for the tomtom, but the last system I had (AVIC X1) had TMC and I was not convinced it worked very well. I presume the tomtom one will only work as well as that one or can there be differences between different hardwares??

Additionally I've heard that tomtom traffic gets it's information from the same source as TMC Confused is that true?? Then you are getting what is essentially the same info but paying a monthly subscription too?!!?

Hmmm... all a little confusing
Racing_Snake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use TomTom traffic, and while it seems ok for motorways and major A roads, there is no coverage for anything else. So on a few occasions it has rerouted me off the motorway to avoid traffic, only to dump me in the middle of another, worse jam that it didn't know about. It's a shame TomTom can't come to some arrangement with TrafficMaster to widen the coverage.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: