Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Updating the CP6 database ~ instructions update needed now?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Updating the CP6 database ~ instructions update needed now?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Searcher22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Updating the CP6 database ~ instructions update needed now? Reply with quote

Hi All

You may have seen from a couple of posts of mine that I was not totally clear about the 'correct' method of updating the database in CP6.

Well, to a degree having read the links suggested I am still none the wiser.

Most (all?) of the links refer to the single file version of the database and I used the speed related one for my first installation. As such IMHO the guidance can be open to mis interpretation/confusion.

Two key areas concern me. Linked instructions talk about changing the file titles to reflect the camera types but all the databases I have downloaded seem to me to be named OK. The other is reference to deleting various files on the "SD card save" folder ~ I am sure before I installed the database that some of these files were already there, presumably holding info of the pre installed POIs. So if they are deleted....?

Therefore I for one, would welcome a "sticky" that is (kept) up to date with the advised/correct method of updating the database as appropriate depending on the choice of database used and if a change to another version e.g. single file is wanted, what method is required.

The instructions linked to on the Alk site are (by the tech support guys own words) for first time installation. And that info is for guidance only - they provide no support for such 3rd party custom POI installation & usage.

So, having paid for a years updates I would hope that the method can be spelt out a definitively as possible for each database version being made available? I wonder if the users of other software/systems can update more straightforwardly?

TIA for any feedback and in the hope that my request is not unreasonable the link to a new sticky that covers this.

:D
Searcher22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the release due very soon of the new months database I hope those with the best knowhow can chip in soonish because as a newbie about this matter some guru clarification would be very welcome.

Cheers :D
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very simple. Just paste the OV2 single file (and if it's the first time, the bmp file) into the Save folder on your storage card. The first time you open CoPilot it will take an age to boot up (5 minutes when I installed the latest database yesterday), but subsequent starts will be normal until the next time you update. If you explore, you won't find the OV2 file in the Save folder after you have started CoPilot, because it converts the data into another form
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Searcher22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
It's very simple. Just paste the OV2 single file (and if it's the first time, the bmp file) into the Save folder on your storage card. The first time you open CoPilot it will take an age to boot up (5 minutes when I installed the latest database yesterday), but subsequent starts will be normal until the next time you update. If you explore, you won't find the OV2 file in the Save folder after you have started CoPilot, because it converts the data into another form
Robin

Hi Robin

I am glad you say it is simply a copy and paste exercise, which indeed is what I had originally hoped it was but the reason for my posting was because on the thread that "deals" with this there was a mixture of 'delete aoityp.XXX files and some said not!!!

I said above that I used the Speed Based database - this has 23 .OV2 & 23 .bmp files

So, is the method the same i.e. copy and paste across the 23 .OV2 files and restarting CP it will initalise and overwrite the aoityp files incorporating the new data?? Also, what about changing to one of the other databases like the Single File.......same method?

Thanks again in advance of the extra guidance you can give based on my concerns detailed above.

Smile
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Various people have their own 'favourite' way of updating speed cameras, some use OV2 files, some still use the method they are familiar with, the single csv file method from earlier versions of CoPilot.

I can see advantages with both 'systems', however I have seen situations where the ov2 method can cause the PDA to lock-up - it just would be mine, unfortunately! I do not know whether it is due to me, my hardware, my OS, or a problem with CoPilot itself, and to be honest, with a significant patch in the pipeline I am not inclined to spend too much time trying to get the ov2 files to work at the moment.

So if you have problems with the OV2 files try the method for CP5. Just remember you need to download the safety camera file(s) for CP5 too - they do work with CP6.

Whichever method you use, you will find it very much quicker if you cut and paste to an SD card in a reader, rather than when it is still in your PDA.
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't delete the AOPOI*.* files, you will probably get duplicate cameras, which will show as a multi-POI icons, instead of camera icons. The AOPOI*.* files only contain custom icons, so you won't lose any of the other icon types.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
NigelO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried the CP6 OV2 and BMP files a couple of times without much success.

in the end, I downloaded the CP5 file (in csv format)

I then edited it so that instead of reading "GATSO1234 AT 40", it now reads "Gatso Camera in speed limit 40" - sounds loads better from the CP6 TTS, and saves looking around to find out what the speed limit is too.

Import the CP5 POI file into the CP6 desktop app, using the import facility, then download the map area to your PDA SD card.

Its a little bit laborious, but I've found it to be more reliable than the published CP6 method.
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found the CP6 methods to be 100% reliable on my PDA, and much, much quicker than the CP5 methods.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
BMW 330ci Sport
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iankb wrote:
If you don't delete the AOPOI*.* files ...

Actually, I delete the AO*.* files, which includes two more files. All of them are re-created when I import the OV2 and BMP files.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
BMW 330ci Sport
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iankb wrote:
...Actually, I delete the AO*.* files, which includes two more files. All of them are re-created when I import the OV2 and BMP files.

I now delete the AOPOI files on the desktop when using the CP5 method since it is much quicker than waiting for them to load in the custom places manager. But if you are stuck with using this method (as I unfortunately am) DO NOT delete the extra two files. These are essential, since they contain some of the POI categories which when the files are re-created using the CP5 method, are missing some important data.

I have not investigated to see if there are issues when using the OV2 and BMP files, but it is something which should be noted.
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:
DO NOT delete the extra two files. These are essential, since they contain some of the POI categories which when the files are re-created using the CP5 method, are missing some important data.

If you use the OV2 amd BMP method, this shouldn't be an issue. ALK advised me to delete all of the AO*.* files when I wished to reload the cameras. As I understand it, the only information included within these files relates to Custom POI's, and are re-created on the OV2 import. You will have to reload any other Custom POI's that you have added, but it shouldn't affect the standard POI's.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
BMW 330ci Sport
SICKNOTE2006
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: MDA compact II problem Reply with quote

Hi guys and gals

have followed all info on this thread but each time i run copilot its saying not enough memory. Have i done something wrong

TIA

ste
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: MDA compact II problem Reply with quote

SICKNOTE2006 wrote:
Hi guys and gals

have followed all info on this thread but each time i run copilot its saying not enough memory. Have i done something wrong

TIA

ste

Possibly not, that is exactly the problem I had when I used OV2 files. They seem to work for some, but not others.

It might help if you change your signature in line with the sites recommendations to show the hardware and version of the software you use. Along with adding your geographical location to your details. It can help the right people give advice. (For example I wouldn't dream of advising anyone how to use the US maps).

Unfortunately, like me, you may be stuck with the CP5 method, which with all the information I have gleaned (mainly from this site) I now have down to a fine art and it only takes me a few minutes.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: