Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Globalsat Bt308 and Destinator2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Globalsat Bt308 and Destinator2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dasboot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:27 am    Post subject: Globalsat Bt308 and Destinator2 Reply with quote

Wondered if anyone has any information that could help me, I've had a browse through the forum and found some relevant info about my question but there aren't any real specifics, well there may be but as I am a newbie to all this I am perhaps a little dumb.
I have a 3970 and a BT308, and have been happily using this setup with TT2 for a while. Recently my friend bought Destinator 2 and having seen it, I thought the map detail was better (well it had my street on it !!)
I borrowed his Ipaq (same as mine) and gave him mine in return so that I could trial Destinator, after a bit of a job getting it to recognise my BT308 I set off to test it. I was impressed by the local road data, it far exceeded that of TT2, but alas one thing blew it out of the water for me. It seemed to lag miles behind where my actual position was whilst driving, so when I had a couple of consecutive route turns it completely lost where I was and missed directions.
Now reading the other forums it seems that Destinator has problems using the NMEA protocol, which my BT308 is using, so really any chance of me purchasing it are out of the question unless I can find an answer to this lag.
Is there something I can do to change settings to help this, either with the GPS or with Destinator?
Any help would be appreciated......Oh btw, great forums, I have learnt a lot over the last few weeks of reading in here, Thanks.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way is to download WinFast Navigator on our downloads page, connect to the GlobalSat under the default settings you use (poss NMEA 4800 COM 8), and then switch to the same baud rate but SiRF rather than NMEA, you can do this in the COMMAND window. If you have an original GlobalSat and switch to SiRF using a different baud rate to what the receiver is currently using, you could lose the GPS and have to power it off for 5 days to run down the battery to put it back into factory settings as there is a known bug in the early firmware release of the GlobalSat's.

Switching to SiRF for Destinator would be much better, and you won't see the lag. But, and here's a big but! Most apps prefer NMEA, so you'll get similar types of problems with TomTom if you use SiRF.
dasboot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, I've downloaded the util and will try it this week. Fingers crossed :D
dasboot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set my BT308 to SIRF 9600 with Navigator, I lost my green Sat led but the device still worked. I then set it up in Destinator and all was detected fine, used it to route me to the petrol station and I still found the update of my position to be very laggy. Changed it back to NMEA and gave it a go again and in all honesty theres little discernible difference in performance. Looks like I won't be bothering with Destinator after all, which is a shame because its maps do seem extremely good.

Of course I've learnt a bit whilst trying it out so alls not lost Smile
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destinator always has had issues with announcing turns too late, if you're coming off a motorway junction, it tells you to exit onto the slip road after you've actually done it, where TomTom and others will notify you a good 300 yards or more prior to approaching it. You will find more lag on NMEA, but depending on which patch revision you're at, I think PowerLOC did make a tweak under D2, but I'm not sure if it was the major release or a sub release.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: