Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is there such a Mobile available??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there such a Mobile available??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Is there such a Mobile available?? Reply with quote

Hi

I have just registered and new to TomTom - therefore apologise if this seems a silly question.

Basically I am a taxi driver, and am looking for a combined built in GPS bluetooth Mobile Phone. Therefore just have one device which is of a mobile phone size (not something that will not fit into my pocket, i.e big smart phone). That is obviously a phone, and has a built in GPS and has an operating system on there that I can install TomTom (maybe via a SD Card).

This was I can listen to the mobile or TomTom while driving via a bluetooth headset. I currently have TomTom installed on a PDA with a wired SIRF III. However there are too many leads and to be honest more head ache than it is worth (i.e. having to charge individual items).

Is such a product available??? or are the Nokia engineers still designing this?? My mobile contract is up soon, therefore please help.
ericb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a Motorola A1000 with a bluetooth Holux 236 GPS receiver with Tom Tom on the 3 network.

I have recently changed to a T-Mobile MDA Vario with the same Holux receiver.

I loved everything about the A1000 including 3's tariffs. (500 mins and 100 texts for £30 a month)

The MDA is way better and T-Mobiles current tariffs are unbeatable.

I have £180 worth of credit (equals 900 mins x network or 1800 texts and any combination in between) on the Flext 35 web 'n' walk tariff PLUS unlimited internet browsing for £31.88 a month. Make sure you buy direct from T-Mobile or one of their shops as this includes 25% of line rental for life. (normally £42 a month)

Really pleased with the MDA Vario, well worth a look.
Jat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Can you please explain how the external bluetooth GPS receiver works, i.e is there a car charger? what is the battery life?

I ideally was looking for a phone with a built in GPS, this for a couple of main reasons. Being a taxi driver I may need to have it running for several hours daily, therefore then I would only need to keep the phone charged. Plus just having the one device it is far less hassle.
ericb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gps receiver is available from here .... http://www.clove.co.uk/products/products.asp?intElement=24280 and is bluetooth.

Therefore, that is how it connects to the phone, no wires, nothing, just bluetooth pairing. The receiver is about the size of a matchbox and can be in your pocket or in the glove compartment.

It is supplied with a mains charger and in car charger. It specifies a 10 hour work time between charges.

The phone will require an in car charger because the screen is on all the time.

The A1000 is available from 3 as is its in car charger.

The MDA Vario is available from T-Mobile and uses a mini usb connector as its syncing with the pc and for charging.

A mains lead is supplied with the MDA and a sync cable for the pc. This also charges whilst syncing.

As it happens, the Holux 236 uses a mini usb connector to charge so the in car charger for that will fit the MDA.

If you want to power both at the same time, you will need another mini usb car lead and a multi-way cigarette adaptor from Halfords, about £8.

Review of the MDA here ... http://www.coolsmartphone.com/article479.html

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: