Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - External antennae
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

External antennae
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murrayhouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: External antennae Reply with quote

I bought an external antennae for my i3 today in Maplin's. At £9.99, I really don't know if this was cheap or not, but it certainly makes some difference to satellite reception. I wasn't having any problems with reception but this will allow me to locate the unit itself in a preferred location, which previously would have hindered reception. I would guess I'll also get greater accuracy. Indoors, I never picked up a signal at all, but I consistently get three or four bars now (does this equate to 3 or 4 satellies being picked up, or is it just a general strength indicator?) And yes, my wife has already had a good laugh at me using a GPS in my own home. (though I'm sure I saved at least 5 foot on the hall-to-livingroom route). If anyone is interested, the Maplin's code for this is A47FH, barcode 5026686038736. The unt itself is labelled "ANT-555". If anyone has located an external antennae in a Ford Focus could they let me know where they found the best location to be?
simon78
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking at buying one of those anntenas from maplins, but i am unsure as to where to mount it, has any one fitted one to a Peugout 206?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I consistently get three or four bars now (does this equate to 3 or 4 satellies being picked up, or is it just a general strength indicator?

Strength indicator

I have fitted one of these to a Renault Megane. I have put the box end on the rear parcel shelf and stuck it down using sticky velco tabs. I then ran the cable to the front by carefully pulling the internal door trim back and pushing it behind that. Works great.
simon78
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a antenna from Maplins and i also can get 4 bars inside the house, going to fit it in car tommorrow so will let you know what difference it makes.
iandee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: External antennae Reply with quote

Murrayhouse wrote:
I bought an external antennae for my i3 today in Maplin's. At £9.99,, the Maplin's code for this is A47FH, barcode 5026686038736. The unt itself is labelled "ANT-555". ?

Just spent about 40 mins in Maplin trying to get some adaptors to convert my Inforad antenna for the streetpilot i3. Bought something for £6.60 which prove to be not workable. Bit anniyed that although I took the i3 in, the guy never mentioned the A47H which at £9.99 would have been ideal. The photo on their site does not show the 'plug' end, so is it a straight forward plug in job?

Having looked at Maplins website, they say that the A47H is exclusively for the i3 but thern mention their KQ00 is for streetpilot III - at £69.99 there is quites bit of difference there.
I have a megane scenic. The i3 works OK when stuck on the windscreen over the dotted portion next to the rear view mirror (which they recomend for toll cards, car park crads etc) but when I put in the dashboard on the 'mount' -prefered position - i lose satellite eception occasionally; hence seeking an antenna.
boydonegood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iandee....I had exactly the same situation,,spent 20mins arguing with the guy in Maplins Lakeside,with him insisting the only aerial that they have that would fit the I3 is £69.99..
Came home checked out Murrayhouse's post (thank you very much) and returned to the shop with proper item numbers etc.... Got the £9.99 aerial.Simple plug straight into side of I3 and with about a 5m lead if i remember.. Spot on, perfect reception
Great thanks to Murrayhouse , Maplins guys cant be right all the time i suppose!
Tel
JohnGray
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the Maplin salesperson to read the A47FH Sat Nav External Patch Antenna FAQs, where it is specifically stated that it is for the Garmin StreetPilot i3! (And there are 848 in stock!)...

John
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boydonegood wrote:
with him insisting the only aerial that they have that would fit the I3 is £69.99.
To be fair to Maplins, the £69.99 one is a Garmin one, whereas the £9.99 isn't, which might be why they thought it was the only one guaranteed to work.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To be fair to Maplins, the £69.99 one is a Garmin one, whereas the £9.99 isn't, which might be why they thought it was the only one guaranteed to work.

Sorry i disagree. If the sales person knew his stock then he's know the £9.99 one works too. It's the antenna type and connector that matter not the brand name.

It would be like a PC salesperson insisting that only Microsoft software will work with Microsoft Windows and that cheaper 3rd party applications couldn't be used.

Also the fact the customer was arguing the point should have made the salesperson question there facts and check to see who was right.
iandee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boydonegood wrote:
Iandee....I had exactly the same situation,,spent 20mins arguing with the guy in Maplins Lakeside,with him insisting the only aerial that they have that would fit the I3 is £69.99..
Came home checked out Murrayhouse's post (thank you very much) and returned to the shop with proper item numbers etc.... Got the £9.99 aerial.Simple plug straight into side of I3 and with about a 5m lead if i remember.. Spot on, perfect reception
Great thanks to Murrayhouse , Maplins guys cant be right all the time i suppose!
Tel

thanks for that and to all.
I'll be in Maplins tomorrow @ Basildon and get the last one shown as in stock - hopefully
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
If the sales person knew his stock then he's know the £9.99 one works too. It's the antenna type and connector that matter not the brand name.
I actually agree with you too - the salesman was wrong, but I don't expect every salesman to be able to know every single product in a range as large as Maplins. Plus, he's always going to try and sell the most expensive - but yes, he was wrong to say the cheaper one wouldn't work.
Also, we don't know the exact question asked - if the original poster went into Maplins and asked for a Garmin external antenna for his GPS - the unit selected was the right answer, whereas if they asked for an external antenna for his Garmin GPS then it was the wrong answer.

Quote:
It would be like a PC salesperson insisting that only Microsoft software will work with Microsoft Windows and that cheaper 3rd party applications couldn't be used.
You've not been in PC World lately then have you? ;)
iandee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sold out in Maplin Basildon & Lakeside.
'will be in later in the week'
boydonegood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm sorry bruv..Am sure mine was the last at Lakeside....N that was about week n half ago...See how you get on but am sure we r close( Im Rainham) I may have a limited supply of "free" aerials.Same magnet n 5m cable.But you have to buy a £2.99 plug in adapter to change aerial socket from Rs components in Bow......Let me know if your in trouble for it.
Cheers Tel
iandee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tel
I' ll let you know.
What adapter were you mentioning?
the iii3 'hole' is very small and Maplins dont seem to have anything called MCX
regards
boydonegood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah read the MCX bit on the back of the Garmin aerial tonight in Lakeside.
The aerial i can get ya is a Bus GPS aerial,,,Looks n does the same as the aftermarket Garmin one. You need a SMA( i think..dont shoot me if wrong) adapter.Maplins dont go small enougth so they gotta come from RS at Bow.Near Blackwall tunnel....Only a cheap brass convertor from large(aerial socket) to small Garmin socket....Only sensible if your in a hurry or desperate..
If ya desperate ,desperate..like your going away,,,you can have mine n i'll wait for them to come in...Its been taken outta box n used for about 10 mins,,is not installed in car or nothing..So still brand new...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: