Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Renault Megane + i3 = :-(, Hyundai Coupe + i3 = :-)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Renault Megane + i3 = :-(, Hyundai Coupe + i3 = :-)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Renault Megane + i3 = :-(, Hyundai Coupe + i3 = :-) Reply with quote

Got an i3 for Xmas for use in two cars. We use our Renault Megane as a day to day car and for work. The Hyundai Coupe is a weekend car.

I've having problems with the i3 in the Megane - lost reception, long acquire times, poor tracking etc. Long story short it looks like the old "Blue Screen of Death" for GPS - i.e. Renault Thermal Window / Blue Tint.

Today is the first time I've managed to get to use the Coupe and i was blown away by the performance of the i3. Pin point accuracy, no lost reception even in "Urban Tunnels", whilst waiting under a bridge and going down loads of back streets. Even my position on a Garage Forecourt was accurate.

I know i have to get an aerial for the Megane and I'll get one at the weekend (after one last check it is the windscreen) to run to the back window.

Couple of questions.

1) Does the back window on these Renault also have the "Blue Screen Of Death"? Doesn't look like it but want to be sure.

2) Is there a guide to running the cables under the carpet or in the roof lining?

3) Is it possible to get it from the dashboard to the engine bay instead? Would this be better than the rear window? Any positions under the bonnet to avoid?

My one aim is to be discreet - hate cables everywhere. So i really want to get it into the boot and then stick it under the parcel shelf rather than on show on the window.

I've been looking at Audio sites but can't find a guide specific to Renaults which given the problem with GPS would be handy! Anyone done this yet and can give me some pointers? Would a Haynes manual contain any useful info for such a project?

I'm quite practical but don't want to start undo-ing stuff to find i can't get it together again or spend 3 hours on a 10 minute job...
spuddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also using an i3 in a Renault Megane and the only place i can get a good reception is by positioning it next to the rear view mirror and then i can get 4 bars. The only problem is that it gets in the way of the sun visor.
dmc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Megane /scenic works ok on the drivers side window , or on the sun roof of course.

Just got a maplin antenna for 19.99, so that I can place that on the side window, and the gsp in front.

Don't get lost enough to have the gsp as a perm feature, so will just stick the antenna on when needed.

If the signal doesn't get through a window, then it aint going to get through your bonnet ;)
dmc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok patch antenna from maplin installed. just placed in on the dash next to the i3 and it works fine. gone from no bars to 3-4 bars

I think its the same antenna that you can get from ebay for around £12, but for the price diff, and knowing I could take it back, I went to maplins
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am also using an i3 in a Renault Megane and the only place i can get a good reception is by positioning it next to the rear view mirror and then i can get 4 bars. The only problem is that it gets in the way of the sun visor.

same here - but on a trip to Wimbledon it lost satellite reception the moment i entered an area i didn't recognise and then all the way home didn't get a satellite lock once.

Quote:
Our Megane /scenic works OK on the drivers side window , or on the sun roof of course.

Sadly no side window other than the main windows and no sunroof. Air con the only "extra" on this car.

Quote:
OK patch antenna from Maplin installed. just placed in on the dash next to the i3 and it works fine. gone from no bars to 3-4 bars

I think its the same antenna that you can get from eBay for around £12, but for the price diff, and knowing I could take it back, I went to Maplin

Definitely getting the antenna then. Same one from Maplin @ £20 - don't trust eBay...

Quote:
If the signal doesn't get through a window, then it aint going to get through your bonnet

Didn't think so but then today i had to stop for petrol - was trying to make the i3 loose satellite reception. Whilst trying to get an apparently faulty pump to work i hid the i3 in the centre storage space behind the handbrake. After 3 failed attempts to get the pump started i drove off to another petrol station. 1 mile down the road i heard "bing bing" as the i3 warned me of an up-coming GATSO. I had to do another 2 miles before i could safely stop and retrieve it. All that time i never heard the heart wrenching "Lost Satellite Reception" voice. Just the "bing bing" of Mobile Camera sites and GATSO. So it thought there might be a chance it would work under the bonnet.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and i found our Haynes manual. From what i read it loks like you need to remove half the car to get the roof lining out. Getting the carpet up looks a nightmare too.
dmc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where you based ? Maplin stock levels are so,so.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/NearestStore.aspx?OrderCode=A47FH&location=sw19&doy=4m1

Wimbledon 2 0.3 miles
Kingston 2 4.4 miles
Hammersmith 2 4.9 miles
Croydon 2 5.4 miles
Queensway 1 6.4 miles
Marble Arch 0 6.7 miles
Forest Hill 3 6.9 miles
Great Portland Street 0 7.0 miles
Tottenham Court Road 3 7.3 miles
Hounslow 1 7.4 miles
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmc - cheers. I've already seen that. Croydon is only 3 stops on the train from here and it's about 30 seconds walk from West Croydon station. I'll ring the store in the morning first. If they don't have one or i get there and the stock levels are wrong then if i order by 5pm online i usually get it the next morning - the day after at worst.

I'll let you know how i get on.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got an Aeriel - fitted in and placed the aerial on the dashboard. No joy.

Ran he cable out to the parcel shelf. 10 seconds later 4 bars! Drove round loads of dead spots. 3 times round and no lost satellite. Bit of lag - probably due to it being at the back of the car (or in the Boot) but much better than it was.

Quickly managed to run the cable around the trim over the doors and into the boot. Quick but discreet. Later I'll take a bit more time, some sticky cable fixers and maybe Velcro it under the parcel shelf.

As the aerial has a magnetic base does anyone know where you can get metal disks with sticky backs? Idea is to stick one on the rear or (preferably) front window and use the aerial there.
Spaceliner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="PaulB2005"]
Quote:

Definitely getting the antenna then. Same one from Maplin @ £20 - don't trust eBay...

Dont be afraid of eBay, i have had 2 antennae from a seller called gps-ppc, These were for Inforad harwire installs that I did in a Peugeot 306 and a Peugeot 206.

You can see pics of the 306 Inforad install here:
http://inforad.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/

The 206 had a massive void under the panel around the clock to hide the unit. In both cases all you see are the LEDs and switches which replicate those on the unit.

The GPS antennae are a bargain at £9.68 + £2 p&p, I was imressed with the quality, they both arrived within a couple of days and I didn't have to be in to sign for them. There is even a choice of cable length too. The same seller has ones for the i3 too, but I have found that it is not required in the 306.

Does anyone know if it is possible to set an i3 to warn you if you are traveling faster than the limit like the Inforad can? I have found a setting that will warn me if i am going faster that a set speed, but it looks like it wil be that same speed for all cameras so has not made the Inforad obsolete -yet.

Cheers
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to quickly answer your question - not really sure if i understand you correctly but the Speed Camera database for the i3 warns you if you approach a camera above the Speed Limit but no camera = no warnings.

Dopes the Inforad warn you when speeding regardless of the presence of cameras?

As for eBay whilst i shop on-line all the time - another order arrived this morning - i can't bring myself to buy on eBay. Much better to hop on the train, walk into Maplin and hop on the train home.

I'll have a look at your install in a bit.
Spaceliner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Now I have a better understanding about what I can expect from the speed camera database, it has great potential.

From my limited experience of the i3, it seems that you are notified of entering a speed camera zone, but the zones are quite large and you could be on a different road.

I have not received an overspeed warning yet but I have not broken the limit (past a camera) since I have had my i3. My current understanding is that although the i3 makes you aware of being in a speed camera "zone" you do not know where the camera is so you may activate the overspeed warning at the same time as having your picture taken!

The ideal solution would be to have the speed camera position marked on the map as you approach it, I can't see how to do this yet.

The Inforad only warns you of an overspeed in the vacinity of speed camera, not elsewhere.

But the Inforad is much more accurate in pin-pointing the speed camera location and you can define the distance (approach and departure) in a speed camera "zone". Since I last updated it, mine only alerts me of speed cameras for the direction I'm travelling in.

It beeps once to notify you of the presence of a speed camera and continues to beep if you are going too fast. A red LED also flashes for the duration of the "zone" and will be solid (not flashing) if you are going too fast. You can also mute it and add your own "blackspots" at the push of a button.

The main advantage here is that as soon as you are alerted you know how far in front of you the speed camera will be and can react accordingly and do not have to be looking behind every bush and roadsign for a Gatso.

The inforad also has a "speed limiter" function where you can set it to beep if you exceed a certain speed - great for temporary speed limits etc.

Sorry for drifting off subject a little here!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My current understanding is that although the i3 makes you aware of being in a speed camera "zone" you do not know where the camera is so you may activate the overspeed warning at the same time as having your picture taken!

If you mean you approach a 40 mph camera at 38 mph but just before you enter the Capture Area of the camera you accelerate to 45 mph (just assume the camera is triggered at 41 mph) you won't get a warning until it's too late? I've thought that too.

Quote:
The ideal solution would be to have the speed camera position marked on the map as you approach it, I can't see how to do this yet.

I believe you can set the trigger speeds to zero rather than the Speed Limit.
Spaceliner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not keen on it beepin' at me if i'm not doing anything wrong though!
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spaceliner wrote:

There's some discussion about this here - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=32256

If you leave the trigger speed data in the CSV files, the i3 will only beep and display a camera icon if you are exceeding the trigger speed Sad

Personally, I strip the speed data from the files (method detailed in above link) - that way I *always* get a beep as I approach a camera, and the camera is *always* displayed. However, I don't get the repeated beeping if I'm exceeding the limit (as it longer knows what the limit is) but don't consider this to be a problem.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: