Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sony Clie with GPS??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sony Clie with GPS??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chinaman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Sony Clie with GPS?? Reply with quote

Hi all,

This is my first post here. I have got a Sony Clie T675C and I use it very often. I am interested in getting into GPS in car nav, i.e. route planner which tells me turn left and right. if possible I want it to tell me where the next Speed trap is as well, not asking for too much there.

Is that possible?

China
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it stands at the moment, no. You can get street navigation programs, Mapopolis will soon be bringing out their new maps for the UK, which will give you better street routing on the Palm OS (Palm OS being a real limitiation), but you still won't get speed camera support, you would have to switch to a Pocket PC based system to achieve this. You could get speed camera support using TrafCam on it's own, but you wouldn't be able to then use any street navigation program.

The problem with the Palm OS, Palm has been lacking behind quite a bit in the handheld market these past few years. Not having decent colour screens, decent speakers or storage for that matter. This all has put off developers coding on the Palm OS platform, and jumping feet first (and sometimes head first) for the Pocket PC, because with all intensional purposes, the Pocket PC is just like a PC OS, but in a smaller box. Over the next year I think we'll see a lot more coming out on the Palm, esp with Palm OS 6, but at the moment Palm devices are still quite limited in what you can do with GPS.
Chinaman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good info. From all the post I read here I gather Pocket PC is better in terms of functions.

Which is the best/cheapest pocket PC I can get which will let me do map routing with Speed trap warning? I think battery life is very important to me as I us my Clie a lot, mostly calculator and phone book.

China
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheapest all-in option would be £429 inc VAT and Delivery, and that includes a 300 Mhz, 32mb Ram, Dell Axim X5 Pocket PC with 128mb SD card for maps, TomTom Navigator 2 software/maps and cabled GPS mouse.

If you wanted the 400 Mhz, 64mb version you'll be looking to pay £538.15 inc VAT and Delivery.

You can then download CheckPOInt for free which will alert you to speed cameras, and use our own free Speed Camera Database

Check out the Dell website for more info.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: