Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mobile Camera detection with Garmin i3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mobile Camera detection with Garmin i3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
socaman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Mobile Camera detection with Garmin i3 Reply with quote

Hi I Have a Garmin streetpilot i3 purchased from Maplin's Complete with a C.D. containing P.O.I.'s which i installed successfully. everything seems to be working as it should , however one day when driving through canford Cliffs Village I was warned of a speed camera up ahead i noticed that the red warning message across the screen was there across the top of the screen but no audible sounds that seem to occur if you are appoaching a camera to fast, i say this as about ten days later i receive a speeding offence ticket , i am pretty sure i wasn't speeding but the first ticket had me going in the opposite direction but two weeks later i got another letter saying there had been a clerical error and on this one the direction i was travelling was correctly stated. I went back to the area that this mobile camera was stationed and the garmin didn't pick up a thing, the camera not being there at that time , so am i right in assuming that the camera has to be in place and in operation to be detected or is it just the position's that are shown and in that case how did it pick it up on the day ( Pinecliff road - Western Road Junction, canford cliffs, Poole Dorset ) any thoughts on this please.
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Mobile Camera detection with Garmin i3 Reply with quote

socaman wrote:
Hi I Have a Garmin streetpilot i3 purchased from Maplin's Complete with a C.D. containing P.O.I.'s which i installed successfully. everything seems to be working as it should , however one day when driving through canford Cliffs Village I was warned of a speed camera up ahead i noticed that the red warning message across the screen was there across the top of the screen but no audible sounds that seem to occur if you are appoaching a camera to fast, i say this as about ten days later i receive a speeding offence ticket , i am pretty sure i wasn't speeding but the first ticket had me going in the opposite direction but two weeks later i got another letter saying there had been a clerical error and on this one the direction i was travelling was correctly stated. I went back to the area that this mobile camera was stationed and the garmin didn't pick up a thing, the camera not being there at that time , so am i right in assuming that the camera has to be in place and in operation to be detected or is it just the position's that are shown and in that case how did it pick it up on the day ( Pinecliff road - Western Road Junction, canford cliffs, Poole Dorset ) any thoughts on this please.

The mobile speed camera is MOBILE:14917@30 which is set at 30 mph.

The camera positions are recorded the unit responds to these it does not know if a van or any type of camera is actually present at the time.

What is the setting for this particular camera on your camera data base and who supplies it (is it a pocketgps release Question )

What software release are you using hope its not 2.90 as this may be a reason for what has happend

For the warning message to have occurred suggests that you were close to or may have been over the 30 mph speed limit ( you may have been caught at this point) but then fell below which avoided the unit giving a continuous alarm.

Exactly what speed have you been recorded at also is there photo evidence.

Provide as much detail as possible so that the forum members can advise.

To recap:
Which software release are you using
Who supplies the camera data base.
What is the setting for the camera.
What mode was the gps in, was it WAAS / EGNOS
What was the camera recorded speed
Photo evidence
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and just to clarify.

Quote:
so am i right in assuming that the camera has to be in place and in operation to be detected or is it just the position's that are shown

The i3 can't DETECT a thing. It just knows locations from the database and will alert you if the camera is there or not.

Can i also ask did you update the database between visits?
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
The i3 can't DETECT a thing.

Apart from its own location... Wink

Aitch
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aitch2 wrote:
PaulB2005 wrote:
The i3 can't DETECT a thing.

Apart from its own location... Wink

...and the time, and by computation, speed and vector being travelled (if any), and the relationship between the location detected, and the position on the mapping provided, and if necessary - also by computation - the proximity to any POIs that are loaded with proximity alerts.

But apart from that, what have the Romans done for use... ;-)

Paul is right to point out the detection thing for cameras, though - perhaps some newbs might not necessarily understand that.
socaman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: re:- just to recap Reply with quote

The software release i'm using is 2.70
audio version is 2.00
the camera data base is from a c.d. that was bundled with the unit from Maplin's electronics, which included Pocketgpsworld.com - safety camera database, garmin p.o.i. loader and a garmin v2.5 firmware update Smile
The mode the gps was in was - normal
the camera recorded speed was 39 mph Confused
yes they say photo evidence Embarassed
The setting for the camera Question
and ref updating the database between visits, i hadn't.
also this morning i was comparing digital speed to my speedo and while doing 30mph the 3i unit is clocking 26mph my car is a 1989 vauxhall cavalier so the speedo would be expected to be slow i suppose.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester forgot the i3 can also detect low batteries.

"Bloody Romans"

Quote:
while doing 30mph the 3i unit is clocking 26mph my car is a 1989 vauxhall cavalier so the speedo would be expected to be slow i suppose.

All car speedos are out by around 5-10%. Better that it reads under and not over!
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Lester forgot the i3 can also detect low batteries.

Indeed I did - well spotted.

PaulB2005 wrote:
"Bloody Romans"

:-)))
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont want to be a stick in the mud but there are too many people now driving their cars in accordance with the camera database and sat nav instructions.

this, on face value, is a good example, now lets learn by it.

the manner in which you drive and the speed at which you drive is left completely up to you, so to look elsewhere for a blame, such as the database is unacceptable.

driving is a priviledge not a right and can be removed quicker than it took to get your licence.

as with all aspects of sat nav usage common sense is the key. leaving yourself open to other offences because "it never told me or it told me to late," will get you a day out at court.

on the other side of things you are entitled to see all evidence prior to entering your plea, as you are to seek legal advice prior to making that decision.
galaxy111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree totally with Mat's comments. As far as national speed limits are concerned (urban areas), we should all be using common sense, observation and driving in accordance with the road signs, not waiting for the GPS to give us instructions on whether we need to slow down or not.
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matb wrote:
the manner in which you drive and the speed at which you drive is left completely up to you, so to look elsewhere for a blame, such as the database is unacceptable.

Clap
rjbsec
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matb wrote:
i dont want to be a stick in the mud but there are too many people now driving their cars in accordance with the camera database and sat nav instructions.

this, on face value, is a good example, now lets learn by it.

driving is a priviledge not a right and can be removed quicker than it took to get your licence.

as with all aspects of sat nav usage common sense is the key. leaving yourself open to other offences because "it never told me or it told me to late," will get you a day out at court.

on the other side of things you are entitled to see all evidence prior to entering your plea, as you are to seek legal advice prior to making that decision.

I don't think that driving today is either a privilege or a right, but rather for most people a necessity. Your point is valid just the same though. It has become all too easy to lose your licence and possibly thereby your livelihood, so trusting your livelihood to £100 of pcb is a bit silly - the eye and the brain are much better indicators.
Personally I enjoy ignoring the i3 to make my own decisions - I swear that she gets grumpy after she's said "Re-calculating" 3 or 4 times and sometimes she sulks and doesn't speak to me for a while - come to think of it the i3 makes me feel quite at home when I'm in my car. Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: