Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Updating POI's on Garmin I3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Updating POI's on Garmin I3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
craigsmith
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Updating POI's on Garmin I3 Reply with quote

When you update your speedcamera databse, does this over write the old dayabse or do you have to delete it manually? I am woried if I update I may end up with loads of duplicate POI's? Can anyone advise?

Thanks
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As posted in your other thread on this, ALL the old POI are deleted first, then the new ones are loaded.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Updating POI's on Garmin I3 Reply with quote

craigsmith wrote:
When you update your speedcamera databse, does this over write the old dayabse or do you have to delete it manually? I am woried if I update I may end up with loads of duplicate POI's? Can anyone advise?

Thanks

Everytime you use POIloader to load POIs on to the i3 it completely overwrites any custom POIs on the i3 - none of the previous ones survive, as it actually recreates a file that's put on the i3.

The files in the folder that you point POIloader at, are another thing, though, but given that you'll be overwriting the database files when you get updates, the i3 shouldn't have duplicates.
craigsmith
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loaded the camera POI's onto my Garmin I3 for the first time using the loader and initially mistakenly chose units to be in KMH and metres. I drove round with these settings and although the speed limits were wrong, the POI's and alerts were spot on (right place, right alarm, right icon). I then reloaded the POI's and chose feet and MPH as the units and tried it again and found the POI's were all over the place, alarms were going off at the wrong place and the icons were missing. I reloaded in metric and everything was fine again.

Any idea how I can get the POI's and alarms in the right place but using imperial measurements?

Thanks
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigsmith wrote:
I loaded the camera POI's onto my Garmin I3 for the first time using the loader and initially mistakenly chose units to be in KMH and metres. I drove round with these settings and although the speed limits were wrong, the POI's and alerts were spot on (right place, right alarm, right icon). I then reloaded the POI's and chose feet and MPH as the units and tried it again and found the POI's were all over the place, alarms were going off at the wrong place and the icons were missing. I reloaded in metric and everything was fine again.

Any idea how I can get the POI's and alarms in the right place but using imperial measurements?

Thanks

What units of measurement do you have configured on your i3? Statute or metric?
craigsmith
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The I3 is set up in statute (imperial) in the units menu.

Thanks
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just going back to your message - if you loaded the POIs with default options, and the correct units of measurement, the proximity alert distance is rather generous.

And they won't show on the map unless you're driving over the speed limit associated with the camera (when loaded using POIloader as CSV files with no other manipulation). Also, for each CSV file in the directory that you point POIloader at, there must be a bmp file identically named (apart from the file extension, obviously!) to match each CSV file loaded.
craigsmith
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
Just going back to your message - if you loaded the POIs with default options, and the correct units of measurement, the proximity alert distance is rather generous.

And they won't show on the map unless you're driving over the speed limit associated with the camera (when loaded using POIloader as CSV files with no other manipulation). Also, for each CSV file in the directory that you point POIloader at, there must be a bmp file identically named (apart from the file extension, obviously!) to match each CSV file loaded.

So if I understand you correctly, the camera alarms will only sound and show if I am exceeding the speed limit associated with them? Therefore, if I use the POI's with metric settings, becasue it thinks I am always over the limit, it will sound and show the icon? Whereas in imperial, as I am obviosly not going to speed to test them, no alarms and no icons??? The reason I am confused is my mates TTG 300 shows icons and alarms irrespactive of whether you are speeding or not.

As for teh bmp files, I just downloaded all the files that were in the databse and installed them via the loader - I assumed that they would all correspond with each other (i.e. the bmp names will match the corresponding csv file). is this not so?
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigsmith wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:

So if I understand you correctly, the camera alarms will only sound and show if I am exceeding the speed limit associated with them?

Yes, if using the standard files, un-manipulated.

You will get an initial bong for proximity warning, though, if proximity alerts are turned on - so once you get within the proximity (default) of the camera, your i3 should (potentially) bong, and show a red alert banner with the details.

craigsmith wrote:
Therefore, if I use the POI's with metric settings, becasue it thinks I am always over the limit, it will sound and show the icon? Whereas in imperial, as I am obviosly not going to speed to test them, no alarms and no icons???

Yup, that's about it - you should (potentially, if proximity alerts are turned on, on your i3) get an initial proximity warning and the red, alert banner, though.

This assumes you haven't used either Ash10's or cbrom's utilities for enhancing the alerts.

craigsmith wrote:
The reason I am confused is my mates TTG 300 shows icons and alarms irrespactive of whether you are speeding or not.

Apparently it was a decision by Garmin that POIs wouldn't automatically be shown on the map - apparently the small screen size and clutter have been postulated as to reasons why.

It would be nice if Garmin allowed this to be a configurable option, rather than having to workaround it, by effectively doubling-up on POIs for safety cameras to archieve the same thing.

craigsmith wrote:
As for teh bmp files, I just downloaded all the files that were in the databse and installed them via the loader - I assumed that they would all correspond with each other (i.e. the bmp names will match the corresponding csv file). is this not so?

Well I'm assuming so, but just wanted to stress it as a reason why POI icons may not show.
craigsmith
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
craigsmith wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:

So if I understand you correctly, the camera alarms will only sound and show if I am exceeding the speed limit associated with them?

Yes, if using the standard files, un-manipulated.

You will get an initial bong for proximity warning, though, if proximity alerts are turned on - so once you get within the proximity (default) of the camera, your i3 should (potentially) bong, and show a red alert banner with the details.

craigsmith wrote:
Therefore, if I use the POI's with metric settings, becasue it thinks I am always over the limit, it will sound and show the icon? Whereas in imperial, as I am obviosly not going to speed to test them, no alarms and no icons???

Yup, that's about it - you should (potentially, if proximity alerts are turned on, on your i3) get an initial proximity warning and the red, alert banner, though.

This assumes you haven't used either Ash10's or cbrom's utilities for enhancing the alerts.

craigsmith wrote:
The reason I am confused is my mates TTG 300 shows icons and alarms irrespactive of whether you are speeding or not.

Apparently it was a decision by Garmin that POIs wouldn't automatically be shown on the map - apparently the small screen size and clutter have been postulated as to reasons why.

It would be nice if Garmin allowed this to be a configurable option, rather than having to workaround it, by effectively doubling-up on POIs for safety cameras to archieve the same thing.

craigsmith wrote:

Well I'm assuming so, but just wanted to stress it as a reason why POI icons may not show.

I have just found Ash's software...it looks like it will enable you to have the alarms and icons on all the time and use imperial measurements.

I have downloaded it but have no idea how to use it. It says to drag the camera database into the field at the bottom of the staus log. My questions are:

1. Ss this the whole databse or just selected parts of it?
2. Then what? Nothing seems to happen

How do you then install the reconfigures databsse onto the I3...I presume you use the loader but how do you know if the files are updated?

Thanks for you help so far by the way!!!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The Whole ZIP file.

Quote:

RTM It dumps the files in your POILoader upload directory ready for you to load on the i3. It even says once it's processed the files.

SUCCESS - Now use POI_Loader in Express/MPH Mode to update the unit...

By the way it takes a while because the new files are HUGE.....
craigsmith
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

The Whole ZIP file.

Quote:

RTM It dumps the files in your POILoader upload directory ready for you to load on the i3. It even says once it's processed the files.

SUCCESS - Now use POI_Loader in Express/MPH Mode to update the unit...

By the way it takes a while because the new files are HUGE.....

Thank you so much...I have installed this and it looks to have worked fine (does 16000 or so POI's installed on the message at the end of the installer sound about right?).

I will try it out tomorrow...thanks again

Craig

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: