Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Don't leave your mount in your car!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Don't leave your mount in your car!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all well and good saying that you should remove the mount, but the air-vent adaptor is well nigh impossible to remove, once it springs into place. Admittedly it's more difficult to see than the windscreen mount, but I still think that a bean-bag mount like the Navman one is a much better idea. Totally removable, and no sign that it was installed.
funkyspider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Just wondering Reply with quote

I've not yet bought a car mount. Would a Brodit mount which clips onto the vents be a better idea than the windscreen sucker mounts as from lookin at them you seem to only be left with a piece of metal over the vent once the PDA has been removed from the car.

Martin.
MR_TiGGer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent idea with the 10K shock, but maybe not superglue the fingers to his face, I was thinking something more personal Wink
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, OK, is there an easy mount solution, such as an air-vent mount or similar, which can also be very quickly removed? If the scrotes look for the tell-tale 'sucker ring' (which can be darned difficult to erase) there's simply no stopping them smashing a window 'just in case'.

I've also been told that it can help to make it very obvious that you're removing the unit, given the number of thefts that occur in public car parks, supermarket car parks etc, where the scrotes sit in their clapped out Novas/AXs/Fiestas and watch for possible victims.
smstextaddict
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My road angel sits in my car on a magnetic coin, when i leave the car the only sign is a small black coin on the dashboard which looks like a magnetic phone holder, pity tomtom didnt think of something like this (ok has to be a bit stronger) but less conspictious, the garmin i3 mount is better as it doesnt stick out like a sore thumb.
mrg2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: tomtom mount removal Reply with quote

It only takes a few seconds to remove the mount. It is a hard lesson to learn, but afterwards victims are often a lot more careful with their expensive toys.

I don't have much sympathy with people who make their, and other cars targets.
MR_TiGGer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get what you're saying but I've not considered the satnav a toy when I'm doing 40-50'000 miles a year.
I personally consider it a stress reduction tool, being able to concentrate on the road rather than the route & signs etc!

Entirely my own fault leaving it in the vehicle and it getting stolen, but I don't consider myself responsable for making "Other" people targets.
Johnny_D
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MR_TiGGer wrote:

Entirely my own fault leaving it in the vehicle and it getting stolen, but I don't consider myself responsable for making "Other" people targets.

Whilst our Friend Mr Tigger may be being a tad on the harsh side,
I think what he is trying to say is that when folks keep the mount mounted
and the TTG inside the vehicle.... And Scumbag McThieveit makes off with the goodies...

He is likely todo it again on site of another Mount Sad

JD
Bloody Superb PGPSW Camera Database.
Not much else!
MR_TiGGer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not as though the mentally abused scumbag thief had a brainwave and has gone on a Vehicle satnav hunt because I was silly enough to think that the 2mins I was away from the vehicle would be safe enough.

If there was software immobiliser systems on satnav like on Mobile phones, we wouldn't ever need to worry about leaving mounts on our screens ever again.
mrg2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: theft reduction Reply with quote

MR_TiGGer wrote:

If there was software immobiliser systems on satnav like on Mobile phones, we wouldn't ever need to worry about leaving mounts on our screens ever again.

Do you think the thief, who probably only wants to score a £20 crack hit will take that into consideration? It would need a sim card in the receiver, unless you want to redesign the satellite end of things, $^$^$, and would be quite easy to bypass, as even locked phones can be unlocked quite easily or their IMEI changed.

The best advice is park sensibly and avoid Manchester all together ;)
CharlieR
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my car done in Manchester last week and I had taken the mount and sat nav out of the car.

Apparently they look for the sucker marks on the window and check the glove box for them.

They are also using mobiles to search for the bluetooth bit as well to see if they are in the car.
MR_TiGGer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to use your instinct wherever you park up.
There's very few areas that we'd consider very high risk, but most areas are simply 'If it's there they'll nick it'
I've been on the road for nearly 10years and untill one fatefull day in Anfield Liverpool, I've never had a single vehicle broken into. Then stopped for 2mins at a garage and left the TT300 on it's mount.
In Anfield I should've left the door open, would've been cheaper Sad
I can't really complain at my own stupidity, and I'll bet that most victims will think the same.
Since the lose of the TT300 I've never left the mount on the screen or the TT-One on it's own ever again.

Wonder how long before it's not covered on normal insurance without paying a silly premium??

Ironically though the TT-One is a far better satnav than the 300 ever was, silver lining and all that :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: