Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Saving POIs to SD card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Saving POIs to SD card
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How to fit the speed camera database on?? Reply with quote

guitareth wrote:
As the latest version of the speed camera database (which I just downloaded from this site) is 5.33 MB by itself, how am I to get this onto my i3??!! Crying or Very sad
Well I am not too sure what has gone wrong here, I have just tried the Garmin download for the speed cameras (23 file set speed zoned) and when unzipped the file is only 472KB - far short of the 5,33MB you are reporting!! - Can I sugest you try to re-download the database for your device from this site and re-post what you find the second time, it only takes seconds - Mike
guitareth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

It's the single file I'm downloading as I thought that was advised as best to download for newbies. Just tried it again. I go to http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras and choose database for a Garmin and "UK Single file..."

It downloads as pgpsw-speed-cams.zip and is 152KB. However, when I unzip it, the main file is pocketgps_uk_sc.gpx and it's 5,466KB plus there's 3 small text files and the Need_help.htm.

Am I downloading the wrong file? Also, what do you get if you choose UK POILoader?
guitareth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Still confused about which speed camera database!! Reply with quote

Just noticed mikelader refers to "23 file set speed zoned". Have downloaded that file and when I unzip it it's only 342K - which should not be a problem to load. I was downloading the option "UK Single file all cameras GPX" which downloads in a zip file of 152KB, but when unzipped is a massive 5,466KB !!

So, did I misunderstand the file I need for general UK speed cameras with an I3? Can someone please clarify?

And before anyone says read the FAQs etc., I did that and the "Speed Camera Database Questions And Answers" thread at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=35213 says "..if unsure just download the single file cameras, and when you have a better understanding of it all, download other files"

I assumed that meant the "UK Single file all cameras GPX" option. If not maybe someone could update the guidance to make it clearer for newbies like me Confused

Confused!!
Audio v2.30
HTC Desire Android Smartphone
--------------------------------------------------------
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the file I referred to earlier for now, I am not too sure what has gone wrong here but you are quire correct the file you have downloaded expands to a huge size, 151KB to over 5MB is clearly something wrong somewhere, I am sure it will be sorted out - Mike
guitareth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification Mike. Is there someone I should e-mail to highlight this problem so as to ensure they fix it?

Also, when it is working properly, what's difference between the single file set and the 23 file set one? Willl it make much difference which one I go for in future?

Cheers
Audio v2.30
HTC Desire Android Smartphone
--------------------------------------------------------
PeteM01
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have just used the card-reader approach to transfer the MaFt database to a 512Mb SD card. When plugged in to the i3, the unit picks up the new POIs. I just got the memory full error message when trying to load it directly onto the i3.

Cheers,
Pete
missing_user

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue has been known about for some time!
I emailed 'Oldie' in October regarding the file size [then it was 4MB] and he was aware of the problem.

I have been using this .gpx file for some time and confirm that the downloaded file is 152kb opening to a massive 5466kb.

Using Garmin's free Mapsource software I open this .gpx file to view the 9279 cameras. I have a reasonable PC and it takes some time to open the file!

When open the cameras are all visible so I then save the file as a Garmin .gdb [file size reduced to 871KB] or .mps file [file size reduced to 1043KB]

It is these reasonable sized files that I use in my Garmin iQue 3600 and my GPS 60CS.

If your units can use .gdb or .mps files then it will save me [and perhaps you] hassle if we able to download directly these files rather than .gpx files.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

part of garmin's gpx format is having loads of seemingly pointless text / code in the file. i think a lot of the size is made up from this excess baggage, so to speak. however, when you run it through poi loader it changes the format and is a lot smaller when it's transferred. you can test if you want by sticking a usb pen drive in your pc and using that to upload the poi's in poi loader then look on the usb pen for the file size of the files that were actually transferred.

hope this makes sense!

example:

csv format:
-3.441658,51.712124,Birmingham Bch

gpx format:

quite a lot larger for the same information!

a 2.93kb csv file uploads as a 3.50kb gpi file
the 37.3kb gpx file (gpx version of the 2.93kb csv used above) uploads as a 5.56kb gpi file.

when it uploads it is a LOT smaller than when it is in gpx format! i suggest that the size difference is due to the gpx format having extra data in it already regarding proximity distances etc.

i have it on good authority that all the extra coding in the gpx format is required or poiloader won't read it. you can rest assured though that the 5.47mb single file gpx speed cam download uploads as a 660kb gpi file.

hope all this geekery helps!!

MaFt
missing_user

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew, I'm stunned with all that!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:
Whew, I'm stunned with all that!

do it be making sense though?!
missing_user

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see we have a problem with the size of a .gpx file in relation to the re-saved file in in .gdb format!

But I would be not fair to myself if I said it all made sense!
I was 'very late' in showing an interest in computers, so at my age I regard myself as having 'special needs' [maybee that is why I used giant coloured lettering] !!!!!! Embarassed
afterall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Saving POI's to SD card Reply with quote

Hi All,
I have been watching this thread for some time as I have also been trying to save my POI file to a 512Mb SD card.
I found that despite copying the folder to the SD card via a card reader, the POI's already saved direct to the i3 memeory seemed to overide those on the SD card. (I could only fit an edited version of the POI file onto the i3 like others).
So, here's what I did.

1. I plugged my SD card into my PC and removed the existing POI file that was there. Take care not to remove any Mapsource image files that you might have there, as I have.

2. I removed the SD card from the i3.

3.I edited the full POI file down to just one item, ASDA + .bmp image and saved this as POIASDA.

4.I used POI loader to load this direct to the i3. I believe that if you do this you over write the POI file already stored on the internal memory.

5. I checked that ASDA was the only custom POI stored on the i3 and it was.

6. I edited the full POI file on my PC to include all POI's but removed ASDA and .bmp file.

7. I saved this as NOASDAPOI.

8. I plugged in my SD card and used the POI loader to copy the NOASDSPOI file to the SD card.

9. I installed the SD card back into the i3 and powered up. Checked under custom points and all the POI's were there and fully accessable.

I hope that helps those who have been struggling with this, I know I have.

Just as a note, I add the camera database file to the POI file just to keep the file handling easier.

Cheers,

A

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: