Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to avoid a ticket
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to avoid a ticket
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nivek22
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: How to avoid a ticket Reply with quote

Has anyone paid for this?

http://www.uk-driving-secrets.com/beat/default.aspx

Is it just another scam or does it contain useful info?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably more / beter info here - http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/index.htm

See also http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/drive.htm
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I for one would steer well clear of any site that offers advice such as this quote

"What about DRINK DRIVING? But a book of driving secrets wouldn't be considered complete without exposing the little-known facts that can allow you to escape prosecution and banning. You'll discover what to do if you're tested positive for drink driving,"

nivek22 stay well clear of this one in terms of a purchase, as it won't be of much use at all, have a read of the numerous web based information avail for free such as the links Paul has provided.

If you still want to avoid the speeding ticket then simply easy off with the right foot and stay within the legal permitted speed - Mike
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"What about DRINK DRIVING? But a book of driving secrets wouldn't be considered complete without exposing the little-known facts that can allow you to escape prosecution and banning. You'll discover what to do if you're tested positive for drink driving,"

Holy do-dah! I haven't seen that snippet of "advice"!!! I'd only seen the site a few days ago and haven't had a chance to read much in depth. I saw the review for the Driving Secrets Guide yesterday and then the question about it arose today.

Might have to have a closer look at this site first.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah i see. It's the Driving Secrets Guide site that offers that info not the UKSpeedTraps one...
nivek22
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never intended to part with any hard earned dosh. I was just curious as to what was on offer.

I personaly wouldn't need this type of info as I'm always on the right side of the law Wink

I only use the canera POI's out of interest. Smile
nivek22
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

read 'camera' not 'canera'.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
read 'camera' not 'canera'.

Yeah but watch out for those caneras too. Sly ...
nisfo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think the best way to avoid a ticket (other than easing of the throttle) is to download the Scamera database.....

It aint always easy to stick to the limit 100% of the time, through slight lapse of concentration you may miss a speed zone change, or even a slight tweak of your accelorator,

But now I have the database on my PDA/GPS and it alerts me of a camera, I then review my speed and adjust if need be...

I am a professional driver and rely on my license for an income, so therefor I dont want to push my luck. But it can happen and you can take measures to prevent a FPN/NIP and to protect your license.....

Why risk trying to get out of a ticket, you may end up worse off and that £60 fine could turn into a £1000 one....

My final advice is STAY ALERT!!! and watch your speed...

PiN570 SmartST

Garmin Streetpilot
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since getting my Garmin i3 last month and downloading the camera database I've found I'm much more aware of the speed limit and my speed, even when there are no cameras around.

Can't really explain why that should be, but it's got to be a good thing. :D
Samsung Galaxy S21
algypan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only foolproof way to avoid a speeding ticket is stay at home
A guy in Cardiff was recently prosecuted for doing 50 in a 40 area he was snapped by a gatsco When it went to court the guy (on a motorbike) was let off when he proved that he was only doing 35mph he measured the lines covered on the photo as a result he got off they said it was a bus going the other way that triggered the mistaken speed and no one checked the photo before the fine notice was sent out
jblackmore
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a very similar book for Christmas from my mum, and its junk.

Full of useless advice such as 'speed traps are often located as you enter 30 mph limits'

Luckily I was sitting down when I read it :-)

Had some probably out of date info about loopholes, asking for serial number of speed gun etc etc which is all covered elsewhere, and is pretty much common knowledge afaik.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently a lot of people "can't remember" who was driving at the time and put forward a list of names of people who were driving the vehicle that day.

You may then get a visit from a cop with a copy of the photo to bully you into blaming the offense on one driver or another but if you insist that you can't remember who was driving and you have made "reasonable efforts" to determine who the driver was then it's up to them to identify the driver which they can't do if it was a rear facing camera.

They then drop the case - no fine to pay...
kirkie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Apparently a lot of people "can't remember" who was driving at the time and put forward a list of names of people who were driving the vehicle that day.

You may then get a visit from a cop with a copy of the photo to bully you into blaming the offense on one driver or another but if you insist that you can't remember who was driving and you have made "reasonable efforts" to determine who the driver was then it's up to them to identify the driver which they can't do if it was a rear facing camera.

They then drop the case - no fine to pay...

Not true....

It is the responsibility of the last known registered keeper of the vehicle to provide details of who was driving at the time of the alleged offence. Failure to do so could result in a fine.

If you do not know who was driving then you should contact the Central Ticket Office of the force concerned who will advise you what action to take as policy may vary from force to force. Photographic evidence (if available) may resolve the issue.

If it is a company vehicle and no driver can be identified the it may be the company secretary/director is prosecuted for failure to furnish driver details. If every effort was made to identify the driver it is possible that the company will receive a warning letter and requesting that they implement a logging out system for vehicles. If they re-offend it is very likely that they will be prosecuted.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkie wrote:
Not true....

It is the responsibility of the last known registered keeper of the vehicle to provide details of who was driving at the time of the alleged offence. Failure to do so could result in a fine.

I don't dispute that. Indeed, here is the relevant section from the Road Traffic Act.

Road Traffic Act 1988; section 172(2(a))] (a) the person keeping the vehicle shall give such information as to the identity of the driver as he may be required to give by or on behalf of a chief officer of police.

But there is a get-out clause here:

(4) A person shall not be guilty of an offence by virtue of paragraph (a) of subsection (2) above if he shows that he did not know and could not with reasonable diligence have ascertained who the driver of the vehicle was.

So provided you show that you used "reasonable diligence" to try and determine who the driver was then the case is dropped for lack of evidence. Of course they may decide to take the case to court, in which case a magistrate will rule on the question of if you were diligent enough or not.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: