Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The PocketGPSWorld.com Garmin Nuvi review.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The PocketGPSWorld.com Garmin Nuvi review.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bazzam111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Candymuts,
I have just upgraded? ( Evil or Very Mad ) from a TT700 to the Nuvi 660. Some nice 'person' stole my 700 so I took the opportunity to re evaluate.
I've had the Nuvi now 24 hours and I must say I am converted. I was going to go for the TT910 but got convinced by the niceman at Halfords (who are currently doing some awesome deals)
I found the TT910 to have too many gimmicks. Fundamentaly the 660 IMO functions are better. Mapping is much more accurate and abilty to edit POI's I also feel is good. Lifetime subscription to taffic info is also a bonus. The 660 does exactly what it says on the bow but it was a tough call however I think you will not be dissapointed by the 660.
candymut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: re nuvi Reply with quote

well yes i need to give it more time but i have a blutooth nokia kit fitted in my car and that use to stop the music and give directions..and the 660 has no FM function on the ero models so no way to connect to my kit....but i will give the unit more time....its hard to change...even harder to make a choice...
itsonlymee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Nuvi300 just before christmas to get me through the centre of Swansea to a clinic located in the town centre. I had never been to Swansea in my life, the Nuvi worked flawlessly taking me through to the postcode I requested, I would recommend it anybody. :D
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: re garmin Reply with quote

candymut wrote:
hello...
i am quite new to out of the box sat/nav as i have used the symbian mobile tomtom for a few years now but was offerd a bargin of a Garmin Nuvi 660 Satellite Navigation System for £170 with lifetime updates as it was bought in france on a company deal and i like the flat look of the device but thats it as i find the navigation to make calls a bit fussed and the angle of the maps looks a bit odd maybe i am use to tomtom, and the sound when full on makes the voice rattle a bit so i may go for the tomtom 700 i have been offered of another person who like the garmin unit..but i am undecided as yet...what do you think of the garmin ? as at least i can change the map colours ..but has the tomtom 700 been fitted with a h/d?......any help appreciated....and i am quite new to this forum so hello...

Bit late but...

The TT 700 has a 2.5Gb disc. The 710 doesn't - only SD card. Also I believe the 700 has a non-SiRF 12 channel GPS engine whilst the 710 has the more sensitive SiRF reciever.
denthelense
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi 610 Reply with quote

I was advised by the dealer and with the good review bought the 610. Absolute rubbish!

Maps are inaccurate 6+ attempts to direct me down Bridleways. 4 attempts to direct me through a hedge on to roads that don't exist and I can't find any record on OS maps of there ever being even a path.

Routing is erratic and I haven't found an easy way to verify that the unit is taking be to the right destination. The traffic feature very rarely seems to get any update.

I am going back to Tom Tom. I have used Garmin for years sailing and walking but they have lost the plot when it comes to roads! Sad
Harveyc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tap the title bar at the top of the screen then tap show map which will show you the destination. I have to say that speaking for myself, and now 4 others who have bought after trying my 660, the mapping is almost always spot on and consistently more comprehensive than my experience with TT. On a few occasions in 8 months it has taken me down roads that are clearly too narrow to make fast progress and I guess that this is the unregistered route issue that Garmin need to recategorize.

The traffic service continues to exceed expectations picking up within minutes of leaving home and office and cumulatively has saved me days of sitting in traffic. The traffic function is largely dependent on geographical location and the car in which it's used. The January update was a monumental cock-up but once sorted it's worked better than ever. My only gripe would the loss of the ability to tap the icons on the traffic map and get the details but on the up at least we're getting updates unlike other Satnav TMC services. Could the unit be improved? Yes, principally with more customization available like TT but in it's primary function and the TMC it's still seriously good kit and nothing in the current TT lineup makes me think of returning to the fold.
denthelense
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: 610 Reply with quote

Harveyc, thanks for the response. Unfortunately I plugged the 610 into my mac to put some photos on it. I couldn't then eject it as the Nuvi kept reconnecting so resorted to pulling the plug. Mac complained but Nuvi seemed fine. Subsequently the maps disappeared although you can see them on the drive when connected to a PC. Garmin support claim that the maps can't be reloaded ! so the unit has to be returned, 5-14 days turnaround.

I regularly drive between Poole in Dorset and Bristol and have never got a traffic update on that route, sometimes it works around Poole though.

I am now using my old Tom Tom 5 on a PDA and apart from the traffic it is considerably better. Roads are accurate, even the office is on the map where it isn't on the Garmin. I might return the Garmin for repair and then put it on Ebay but it has been so much trouble I might just enjoy throwing it in the bin!

I am glad your happy with your Garmin as I used them extensively for sailing in the past and it would be a shame if they had lost the plot completely.
Harveyc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any call to go to Bristol but my sister lives in Langton Matravers, so I'm frequently back and forth between Purbeck and the Portsmouth area. I've had no problems with traffic reports along that route and even parked up along from the Square & Compasses in Worth the reports kick in within minutes.

Mapping wise, I guess there's an element of luck in which destination you pick like the Gadget Show test where the Garmin couldn't find a hamlet in rural Scotland but TT could, whereas the Garmin could find a Premiership football stadium where the TT couldn't, or even worse it took you to where it used to be. Overall in mapping the Garmin, or rather whoever does their mapping, has been significantly better than my experience with TT and even the missus trusts it.
markburrows07
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: garmin nuvi Reply with quote

I read your article on the garmin nuvi 350 and totally agree that is a very fine piece of equipment, simplistic in operation and a true delight to use. After having used one for the last few months in my works vehicle i thought i would treat myself to a gps device for my car. Upon visiting a local electrical retailer (who shall remain nameless) i was quite taken aback in the way the salesman constantly tried to push me to purchase a Tom Tom unit, his product knowledge of the brand however was second to none, but i go the feeling he was a bit bias. After much deliberation (about an hour and a half) and now also in 2 minds, i eventually decided to settle for a nuvi 610, and its turned out to be a great investment. It has pretty much the same feel as the 350 (but with widescreen) and a few extra features, like bluetooth so you can connect to your mobile and use it handsfree, uploading picures from your mobile to the unit is very simple, and reading your txt messages on its large screen saves you eyestrain.

All in all im totally satified with it and after travailing with a friend who currently uses a Tom Tom feel that i made the right decision to go with the Garmin as it seems to be in a different league, needless to say im now on his case to change. Have you written a review on the nuvi 610 yet? as this would make a good read having now used one for the last 10 weeks or so. hopefully i may even pick up a few tips from you on how to use it better. There is one function however that is a bit annoying, the bing bong everytime you encounter a speed camera, (how in gods name do you turn it off).
markburrows07
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend with the Tom Tom has just read my previous post and has quite rightly pointed out that i may have distorted the truth a bit.... Hmm, so just to clarify... The first week with the Garmin wasnt exactly smooth, on one occation it tried to direct me through a pub doorway, out the other side of the bar and into a shopping precinct (padestrianised may i add). Ok so Point taken, but after a firmware update and a bit of tinkering with the settings its all good. From what i can gather the unit was in padestrian mode and not vehicle mode at the time of its misdirection. Here is proof that instructions should be read and not just put back at the bottom of the box.....
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markburrows07 wrote:
Ok so Point taken, but after a firmware update and a bit of tinkering with the settings its all good.

Someone must have put it in pedestrian mode as it doesn't come in that mode as new Wink I do find that mode very useful when in strange cities - it works very well on foot!

My 660 is much better than my TomTom Nav 6 in terms of map accuracy around where I live (North Cheshire).

Both TomTom and nuvi have some idiosyncratic routing behaviour and they are only meant as an aid when all said-and-done.
nuvi350za
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thinks Garmin Nuvi 350 is the best GPS navigation system.

Embarassed

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: