Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which new features would you like to see at Pocket GPS ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which new features would you like to see at Pocket GPS ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:59 am    Post subject: Which new features would you like to see at Pocket GPS ? Reply with quote

It's been a long time since we have asked what you would like to see at Pocket GPS. Most of what we've been asked in the past has been implemented on the website. Things like downloads, POI's, POI-Sync Service, faster server, being able to submit news, downloads and links. When we last asked via the polls, there was a real push from people wanting to see more hardware reviews, which I believe we have delivered.

What would you like to see at Pocket GPS ? Any new features, improvements ? Perhaps a push towards other kinds of GPS like trackers, AVL ? More forums, or less forums ?

We can't say that we'll add everything to the site, but we would be interested in hearing what you would like to see, and this could drive us forward over months to come to make Pocket GPS an even better place for you all to visit! Thumbs Up
russgunn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave. I think the site has pretty much everything at the moment in my eyes. To continue with site growth though it's important that both the hardware and software reviews that you guys currently do continue to be a paramount objective of the site, as this is what brings new users onto the site in my opinion. People come here for the great info they get about stuff they're about to buy, it's certainly what made me join up.

Also, how about a 'GPS Stories' section in the forums where users can tell tales of strange happenings, perfect re-routes around roadblocks and jams, getting lost when the signal goes. Basically any good, bad and the sometimes funny situations we all get into from time to time.

Perhaps a Geocaching section as well, where perhaps one day pocketgpsworld.com will be able to find the time to organise a day out for us all finding a stash of goodies with the use of our GPS kit! I can help sponsor the event by supplying some stuff for the treasure if needed, as I work for Fujifilm, so things like a camera, some film, even SD or CF cards etc. Thumbs Up

Just a thought.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Russ, we will be focusing very hard on hardware and software reviews over coming months, and we have lots that will be released shortly including two Bluetooth GPS Receiver reviews, three Compact Flash Reviews, and some topographical and street routing products 8O

We have several options that we might implement over the next month if there's enough interest and that's journals and reader reviews. Both will be text based (no pics), but the first will let you blog on a daily basis about a product you've just purchased, and the second will allow you to write your own reviews, rate a product and link back to our reviews.

Strange you mentioning Geocaching, as I actually wrote an article nearly a year ago which has never been published on Geocaching. I keep looking at it now and again thinking now's not the right time to publish it Happy We are contemplating on holding another Summit next year (poss early/mid summer), if we do, I think the emphasis will be heavy on street routing, as we now have dataloggers to record journeys and play them back through various applications.

Any help on sponsoring with free gifts would always be welcomed. I'll let you know nearer the time when we start organising the next event.
Nutter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Bluetooth Hardware & PPC Software Comparisons Reply with quote

Dave,

Firstly I need to say that I think the site is an excellent source of GPS info and the reviews really concentrate on the important issues rather than concentrating on the usual manufacturers stats which usually are fairly inaccurate in real world usage or are not the real discriminators.

I first found the site when looking for information on the Bluetooth GPS's...and to be honset I'm still trying to make up my mind!!!

The thing that I would find most useful would be a simple way of comparing the Bluetooth hardware and also the PPC software. As you are more aware than most, there are so many different suppliers out there and narrowing the potentials down can be a real nightmare. Obviously once you'd narrowed it down a bit, you'd then need to read the full reviews.

Perhaps a table like that for the handhelds that would list the various kit and the factors that may make the difference between choosing one over the over, does it come with software (if so which one), does it have an external antenna connection, battery life etc. And the same for the PPC software.

Anything to make the decision making process easier can only be a good thing!!

Craig.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Craig.

A Bluetooth Comparison would be good, and it's something I hadn't thought of, and would be easily achievable. I'll add it to our list of features. Some get done quicker than others depending on how much time we think it will take, and a BT comparison would certainly be doable quite quickly looking at specs.

Lutz is writing a comparison engine which would also extend this and allow you to select devices depending on the feature sets you are looking for. I'm not sure when this will be available because we will have to weight every single feature, but when we do have this feature available I think it will be a killer app for everyone to use!

In the mean time we'll see what we can do in a comparison like the handhelds.
bigfatjohn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site is brilliant and I've learned a lot from it, for which you have my thanks.

As a complete newcomer to all this, and even to PC's having always used Macs in the past, I find myself stuck with what seem to be the stupidest of details such as....

Having marked a poi, for instance a previously unmarked speed camera, how do I allocate the icon to it so that it shows up on the map?

Where can I download some wav files to use as warnings, and having done that where do I store them on my PDA?

I find the both the TomTom and iPaq manuals sadly lacking in detail and what I would find most useful on this site would be some really simple step-by-step instructions on what are really basic functions.
MILLWALLFC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

I agree with the other's this site is great.

I would not mind one addition to the forum could we have a section for Pocket PC help other then GPS.

e.g. i have an HP2210 and i can receive using the bluetooth but don't know how to send. I have searched other forums but cannot find the others. With so many people here having Pocket PC this maybe another section you could consider.
Zephyrr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an excellent site, which I've just begun to explore.

I'm looking at Bluetooth GPS receivers and wondering what happens when the rechargable battery ages - they all wear out, sometimes sooner than we'd like. Do we have to send them back to Taiwan or wherever for factory service? Any chance you could look into this aspect, either in your reviews or as a topic in itself.

Regards, Zeph
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of the battery, just like a mobile phone battery. If you keep it long enough, the length of service between charges you will get will diminish over time.
Zephyrr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: Bluetooth GPS vs mobile phone battery Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Think of the battery, just like a mobile phone battery. If you keep it long enough, the length of service between charges you will get will diminish over time.

And then it will eventually not last long enough to be useful. If I wanted to keep the phone, Nokia service is widely available - BUT the critical difference is that I am now thinking to replace my 13 month old cellphone with a much nicer one for a net outlay of $0 -- while continuing with the same service plan deal (or better) that I'd have if I kept the old one. :D

(By contrast, my home cordless phones all have user replaceable batteries which are available at decent prices from many sources)

Rapid turnover in cellphones makes a 1-2 year battery life no big problem. But my GPS units I tend to keep for many years, and nobody is offering to replace them every year for no additional cost (beyond what I'd pay to keep them). So a cellphone-like battery design and policy does NOT work well at all for a Bluetooth GPS, and this needs to be addressed somewhere. (A cordless home phone model would be closer).

I predict that this is going to be a real issue in the next year or two and it would be great all around if you and/or others were proactive in looking into it before everybody is complaining that their 200E receiver needs a 70E battery replacment every 18 months. What do the manufacturers and distributors have to say, can batteries be user-replaced or does it require factory or distributor service, will the batteries be stocked, at what prices? These are unaddressed questions for the new bluetooth GPS submarket.

Regards, Zeph
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fair question, some Bluetooth GPS manufacturers quote a battery life measured in recharge cycles <1000 which gives you about 3yrs life from the internal battery.

Like early PDA's which did not have user replaceable batteries, early BT units have the same issue, whilst the internal batteries can often be sourced it would depend on demand before a 3rd party offered a replacement part or service facility. Models are now appearing that use disposable or user replacable batteries which does improve matters slightly.

Sadly in this throw away society, these products are still viewed by the manufacturers as disposable and they expect (or hope!) users to have replaced them with newer and better models long before the batteries have expired.

But we take your point on board, where the battery life data is available we will publish it in our reviews.
Lost1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread started a long time ago so I hope you still check it.

The site is very good especially for a complete novice like me and I am just about finding my way around the forum pages. However, it would be a major help if you could jump back to the forum page at the same place that you left it when you have finished reading a post.

It might be my poor way of navigating the page but I tend to do a quick scan of the items and then open the ones I am interested in. This means some times, after reading a post, I can't remember if I have read a post or want to read it when I am redirected back to the main page. <- does all of this make sense ?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my knowledge no forum software will allow you to do this. The easiest way is when you know you want to open a message, right click and OPEN IN NEW WINDOW and this will allow you to easily get back to where you were.
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst we /you're talking about forum functions is there any way of stopping the forum marking all entries read as soon as you read an article (currently I select "show all articles since last visit" then open the individual posts in a new window. This way i have a reference point which isn't erased as soon as I read anything.

DinAlt
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately not as this is by design of the forum. In-fact most forums operate in this manner, as it's done by accessing and updating the cookie as soon as you view it.

What I tend to do is open the main Forum page, then open a new window for each forum that has a orange/yellow new flag by, then once all forums have been opened, mark as read on the original window. This works well for me, but if you are away for a few days then you will have a lot of windows open on screen.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: