Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Specs camera warnings.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Specs camera warnings.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Specs camera warnings. Reply with quote

Don't you just love watching the idiots braking hard for the specs cameras, and then speeding up again once they have passed them?

Seriously, though, my Road Angel warns if I am entering a specs type zone, and then continues to warn at intervals until I have left it. Recently, I went through a series of specs camera with the PGPS database, and got a warning at each individual camera, but nothing in between. Is there any way that my Go 700 (or the camera database) can be set up to give reminders that you are in a specs averaging zone)
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Specs camera warnings. Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:
Is there any way that my Go 700 (or the camera database) can be set up to give reminders that you are in a specs averaging zone)

Just had a thought. Could the pgps camera database have a new category of imaginary camera called, say "Specs Zone", and fill in the measuring zone between real specs cameras with these imagininary ones. You would then get the current warning of Specs camera, at the start and end of the zone, with reminders in between. Intervals could be determined by speed limit for that road to give a warning every 30 seconds or so.
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a good idea.

Out of interest, how far apart, on average, are specs cameras?
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatC wrote:
That sounds like a good idea.

Out of interest, how far apart, on average, are specs cameras?

Can vary from a few hundred yards to a few miles. Depends on the road and the location of junctions. You have to pass the entry and exit cameras to get a reading, so they dont want you to be able to, for example, go through the first camera, exceed the speed limit, but turn off at a junction before passing the second.
MR_TiGGer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:
You have to pass the entry and exit cameras to get a reading, so they dont want you to be able to, for example, go through the first camera, exceed the speed limit, but turn off at a junction before passing the second.

Or the trick is to fly along and drop into the slow lane or middle lane close enough behind the 40 foot trailer for the next ones.

But all the SPECS cameras I seen so far are on narrow lanes in contraflows on M/ways so it's worth losing the paint Rolling Eyes

But yea 100% agree I laff loads when the morons treat them as standard Gatso flash cameras Laughing
MR_TiGGer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should read
Quote:
But all the SPECS cameras I seen so far are on narrow lanes in contraflows on M/ways so it's NOT worth losing the paint

Sorry about that 8O
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:
Can vary from a few hundred yards to a few miles. Depends on the road and the location of junctions. You have to pass the entry and exit cameras to get a reading, so they dont want you to be able to, for example, go through the first camera, exceed the speed limit, but turn off at a junction before passing the second.

I see. Well that makes sense I suppose. I've now set different sounds for specs, prompted by your original post.
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Davison,

I don't know if all of your warning sounds are used up (I think mine are) but if not, you could create a POI (with it's own sound) and place it on your map a either end of a SPECS zone. Only when the sound is heard for the second time will you know that you are clear. Unfortunatley you would need to know in advance where the start an finish were, to do this.

Just a thought. Rolling Eyes

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you can't even rely on the fact that you have passed the second camera. On the M1 roadworks, there are 4 specs cameras northbound. If you stay slow until you pass number 2 you get caught between 2 and 3. The only answer in this area is to keep below 40, so I suppose they do the job they were designed to do.
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:
And you can't even rely on the fact that you have passed the second camera. On the M1 roadworks, there are 4 specs cameras northbound. If you stay slow until you pass number 2 you get caught between 2 and 3. The only answer in this area is to keep below 40, so I suppose they do the job they were designed to do.

Yes, they are very good at detecting offences and I beleive roadworks (assuming there is actually work going on) is the best place to put them, so if something does go wrong at least the road workers have a fighting chance of survival if hit. In my force area, we don't have any SPECS and to my knowledge no intention in getting them. If they rolled them out along all major roads, we would be as well putting a speed limiter on our vehicle. Unfortunately the motorist is getting it tight again.

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: