Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - i3 WAAS or GPS norm.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

i3 WAAS or GPS norm.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: i3 WAAS or GPS norm. Reply with quote

i understand the difference, the question is:

have any of you used both settings long enough to compare each, on its own merits, from a day to day end user prospective.

i changed to waas a few days ago and seemed to notice a difference in prompt distances and dare i say slight changes in the map when navigating on known familiar routes.

the later i still think was possibly my imagination.

pros and cons welcome
galaxy111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The indicated position seems to be more accurate with WAAS, but I don't think that you'd notice the difference unless you're actually looking for it.
paulhgc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=36149&highlight=
paulhgc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=31661
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the link, very informative. Laughing

one point though, the last post was made in feb. Crying or Very sad

has anyone got a more up to date feedback Question
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - stick with WAAS/EGNOS - it's more accurate. Period.

There may be a slight reduction in life if on battery power, rather than 12v.

Aitch
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aitch

was it my imagination or was the map view different
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aitch2 wrote:
Yes - stick with WAAS/EGNOS - it's more accurate. Period.

There may be a slight reduction in life if on battery power, rather than 12v.

Aitch

Yes it may be more accurate - but that will only really make any difference in progress on a road, or being just past a junction - because the i3 will snap you to the road if you're within a certain proximity.

I've spent good periods with both EGNOS turned on, and on normal. And I found nothing conclusive or helpful about having EGNOS on - no better detection if you haven't adherred to a route and have taken a slip road rather than the main route - and vice versa.

No obvious advantages if ignoring a turning and having it detect it any quicker.

I did find that it calculated some rather funky routes with EGNOS switched on, that it did differently when set to normal.

Plus, if you use batteries, then you are likely going to go through them quicker.

I found no advantage to using it - I think that with the i3 snapping you to the road, it's a rather pointless option.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a cross roads near us - i'll try draw what it's like...

Code:

|
     |
     |
     |------------------------ i want to turn onto this road
     |Y
     |
-----|--------------
     |X
     |
     |
     |
     |

driving up (from bottom to top on my lovely map - any jobs navteq?!) and wanting to take the turning AFTER the crossroads it displays the red arrow correctly bu just before the cross roads, at X, it says 'turn right' which will send you down the wrong road unless you are watching the screen. however, with WAAS/EGNOS turned on it tells me to turn right at 'Y' which is correct.

i can only presume that just before X is a bit of a dead spot and signal is lost as you slow down for traffic lights but because of lack of signal it thinks you're still driving at the same speed and assumes you're already at the turning before you actually are. but with WAAS/EGNOS it can calulate your position better due to the extra signals and gives you the correct position/turning.

MaFt
galaxy111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now leave my i3 set to WAAS on the basis that, in certain circumstances, the accuracy may benefit route selection at certain locations. Satellite aquisition and route selection seems to be just as fast as on 'Normal' GPS mode.

If it's available and more accurate, why not use it?
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well kudos for experiencing something worthwhile from EGNOS - I tried using it for some time - and there were bits of road near where I live, where there seemed to be some lag in my positioning on the map, I tried EGNOS to see if I could perceive any difference, and I'm not convinced either way - I'm not sure if there was any tangible difference, or if any marginal difference was imagined or not.

I'd agree, that if you have scenarios like you've shown, it quite possibly may be of benefit, but I personally didn't.

As I said, though, I did find some wierd routes with it on - and turning it off, and recalculating the route cleared it up.

I wanted to believe it was of benefit - because it seemed like an improvement to have, but I suspect unless you've got a scenario like yours - with close junctions and a secondary turning, you may not notice at all.

Then it comes down to whether it introduces any oddities in routing, tangible lags to screen updates, and whether it does actually have any noticable impact on battery life for those that just use batteries.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lester, i should also point out that this is the only place i've noticed a difference! however, if i leave it turned on then in unfamiliar places it may be doing the same for me without me even knowing.

MaFt
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
lester, i should also point out that this is the only place i've noticed a difference! however, if i leave it turned on then in unfamiliar places it may be doing the same for me without me even knowing.

MaFt

To be honest, I probably had it (EGNOS) turned on for the longer period, than running on normal.

The icing on the cake for me, was finding being sent on several really odd routes, that in the last instance reverted to more sensible, when I recalculated with normal GPS reception.

That was on v7 mapping, though, I haven't used it for more than a couple of days whilst on v8 maps - and that was merely because I couldn't detect any differences on the routes I was doing, and my previous experience of wierd routes with EGNOS turned on, has made me more favour normal rather than EGNOS.

And personally, for anything quite unusual or closely spaced, I do tend to take a quick peek at the screen to clarify.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:

And personally, for anything quite unusual or closely spaced, I do tend to take a quick peek at the screen to clarify.

in the example i gave above the 2 roads are about 250m apart... not really that close, which is why i think there must have been some kind of loss of signal rather than it just thinking the roads are very close.

MaFt
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

galaxy111 wrote:
If it's available and more accurate, why not use it?

Precisely. I cannot see the sense in anyone deliberately degrading the accuracy of their GPS device! Rolling Eyes

I have never personally experienced any 'poor' routing with it enabled.

Aitch

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: