Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Cheap Complete GPS Bundles
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheap Complete GPS Bundles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Cheap Complete GPS Bundles Reply with quote

Just when you think prices can't get any lower, check out what Dell have to offer. 8O
http://www.euro.dell.com/countries/uk/enu/dhs/products/series_axim5_handhelds.htm

Dell UK are selling the new Dell Axim X5 GPS with 64mb RAM, Windows Mobile 2003, with a complete TomTom Navigator 2 hardware/software bundle at incredible prices.

£428.88 for a 300Mhz, 64mb Dell Axim X5 GPS
£487.63 for a 400Mhz, 64mb Dell Axim X5 GPS

These prices include a 2nd 1440 mAh Lithium-Ion Battery too. Just add a 128mb SD card and you're good to go!

Still want the Dell but don't mind a 32mb version ? Check out Holux-UK for an all-in price of £399 inc Vat and Delivery.
http://www.holux-uk.com/Products/PDA210/PDA-210.htm
carol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave I am looking at buying one of these packages, I am looking for use in a motorhome but also to enable it to be transferred into our Smart car when/if necessary. Apart from realising that perhaps the 400mhz is probably a better buy, (presumably faster) as it isn't possible to see one of these models can you answer a couple of questions please?

1 Is there any compatibility problems with SD cards, or do they all work OK with the Axim?

2 Is it worth buying the higher capacity battery from Dell as a spare? How much longer does it last?

3 If you wish to handcarry the models around town or walking how are they powered?

4 All come with the GB maps, and it is possible to buy a Europe map for around £130 or so, but looking at the TomTom site I only see individual countries listed there to buy - so am further confused. What size cards would you need for the Europe maps?

Which would you buy of these yourself - the costs are not that much between them to really ponder over.

Many thanks for any comments/help you are able to offer.

Carol
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carol, glad you asked that.

1) There have been known to be a lot of SD card issues with the Dell's. Check this forum thread for more info.

2) I'm not sure how long the high capacity battery lasts, as I've never actually had a Dell up close, but there are plenty of Dell users in the forums here.

3) The PDA's are powered by their own internal battery. Most PPC batteries will last around 4-6 hours when switched on. If you're using a Comapct Flash GPS Receiver or a Bluetooth GPS Receiver, then you can walk around town and get a position update, but not with the cabled setup as this requires being powered by the Car accessory socket.

4) You can purchase individual country sets, or you can purchase a complete European map upgrade. Obviously the European set is more expensive, but it's a lot less expensive than purchasing each country-set separately.

Personally I would go with a 400Mhz model from the point of view of speed, you will notice a difference especially when dragging the maps around on screen.
carol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave thanks for your quick reply.

Looking on the Dell web site they have a wi-fi model would this, together with a bluetooth receiver mean NO cables at all in the vehicle, or am I missing something. Obviously the less cables the better, and neater solution. I read elsewhere in the forums that Holux were bring out a bluetooth gps, has there been further update on this?

The actual review I read in PCPro for the Dell was very good, it only seemed to suggest that it was a bit heavy,large. I currently own a Handspring Visor Prism have you any idea how it compares to this in size? Again it comes down to not actually being able to see one of these in the flesh.

I will take a look at the thread you have mentioned.

Thanks again.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afraid not, WiFi and Bluetooth although they occupy the same area of the RF spectrum, they are two different products. If you wanted to go the X5 or X3 route, you would need to use a Bluetooth SD or CF Card to give you that functionality.

If you like the handspring visor, then you'll love the size and weight of the HP iPAQ 2210, but it is a lot more expensive!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: