Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - BT GPS - Emtac or Navman?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

BT GPS - Emtac or Navman?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark76UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: BT GPS - Emtac or Navman? Reply with quote

Hi PocketGPS

You have provided excellent advice in the past and need some critical advice on BTGPS + s/w for purchase asap.

I have an Ipaq3970 and recently purchased an Emtac BTGPS, but haven't got my head around the nav software! The reason is that the Navman BTGPS (4400) looks very good on the performance side, but comes bundled with SmartPro s/w and I would prefer the Copilot4.0.

My questions are;-
1. Are your stated 'warm' test figures correct for Navman4400, they state '0s', is that correct and what does it mean in the real world?

2. Does the 4400 out perform the Emtac?

3. Is it possible to purchase the 4400 without s/w?

4. Does the BT/Copilot4.0 bundle include a 'rebadged' Emtac BTGPS?

5. If 4. above is yes, then would that be a preferable option to buying BTGPS + Copilot separately?

I'm desparately trying to make the right decision to 'futureproof' myself, but there is too much choice, help needed! Confused

Many thanks in advance.

Mark.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. When we ran the warm tests, we found that the review unit we had appeared to cache the data, and didn't actually provide a true warm fix.

2. No, Emtac still wins on sensitivity

3. Yes, check this news item

4. Theoretically yes it looks like an Emtac, behaves like an Emteac, but TravRoute have designed their own unit, it comes under a new FCC ID and requires certification because of this.

5. Yes
Mark76UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave for speedy reply!

Can I stretch the point just a little further on the 4100!

1. As I see it the 4100 (which I have seen for £199) has an essential benefit of maintaining the GPS fix for a long time on battery power. Am I right in saying that this would have the benefit of being able to leave in vehicle (which is my primary use!) overnight and provide instant fix in the morning when I reconnect my IPAQ??

2. Secondly would I (a novice!) really notice a big difference in fix quality between the 4100 and Emtac, especially reacquisition times?

3. Are there any known issues using the CoPilot4.0 with the Emtac or the 4100?

I'm eager to get this sorted so I can finally put my IPAQ to good use.

Many thanks for help.

Mark.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. You can't leave the Navman 4100/4400 switched on as it has a sensor to detect if Bluetooth is live, and if it's not, it will turn itself off.

2. Probably not, unless you're in locations with really bad reception, eg you want to put the receiver in the glove compartment, then you would notice a difference, but in most cases you wouldn't.

3. Haven't tried CoPilot with the 4100/4400 so can't really say. In theory there shouldn't be any problems.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: