Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI Warning - Timeout
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI Warning - Timeout
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redhotorange
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Has this actually worked on your PDA? "

Yes, I changed my setting from 30 seconds to 5 and have had no problem at all. This is how I have done it:

1. Copy the Preferences file from PDA to the desktop
2. Open the file with notepad
3. Change MsgTimeout from 30 to whatever I wanted (5 in mycase)
4. Save the file
5. Copy the file back to the PDA.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SupraCopilot writes:

Quote:
... the camera description has turned to gobbledeegook...

I didn't notice that before. I have checked, though, and have to confirm that is happening to mine too.

So, it's no longer a case of spending time to no useful effect when real issues could have been addressed, but of creating another real issue into the bargain (... assuming that it wasn't there before in the USA version).
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
daps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have altered mine as per RHO in Notepad to 5 secs... Everthing works and reads fine.
Thanks
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daps writes:

Quote:
Have altered mine as per RHO in Notepad to 5 secs... Everthing works and reads fine.

That is because you have CP 6.0.0.68, not 6.0.1.22. The latter contains the error observed by SupraCopilot and me.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
nivek22
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eltel wrote

Quote:

I wonder if this was going to be a menu-driven configurable POI display time in CP6 that somehow got "overlooked" in the release?

The 'Message timout' option under Live/settings also alters the POI timeout. The shortest option is 30 seconds.

NB. If you've edited preferences.cfg I would suggest making a copy on your PDA before opening the Live settings.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tearing my hair out (what little I have left!)
A few weeks ago I followed the instructions on this thread and changed the time out on the safety camera warning screen to 5 seconds. It worked fine using Word (notepad removed all the CR/LF instructions) and using the wav voice I got the warning "Safety camera ahead"

Because I had a corrupted file somewhere on my PDA I decided to do a hard reset and reinstall all my programs (using Sprite backup reinstalled the corrupted file!). I did this and got evrything working again, and then remembered that I had changed the time out in my previous installation. I used Word again to edit the Preferences.cfg file and noticed that the file size had increased from 1928 to 1944 bytes. Nevertheless, when I put the file in, CoPilot runs OK. However, I can't configure it to get the warning screen and spoken warning. The camera icon shows on the road ahead, but that's all. I don't remember what I originally had to do to get it to appar, but I am stumped now. Perhaps I have corrupted the preferences.cfg file If anyone has a file which works for a timeout of 5 seconds, would they be good enough to PM me so that I can send my email address to receive a copy
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2

I don't know if you are running CP 6.0.1.22, but when I tried that version, the display it produced was more or less as you describe.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm running 6.0.1.22, but last time I used it, before the hard reset and reinstallation, I was getting the warning screen when I approached a camera. Now, all I get is the camera icon
Robin
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah - I think I see what's wrong. I had checked Transportation/Safety cameras, but as I installed the database using the OV2 method, I should have checked Custom/PocketPCWorld SC Database. I'll check it out tomorrow
Robin
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2

To be more precise, the text of the camera warning with CP 6.0.1.22 was sometimes absent, sometimes consisting of a jumble of non-alphabetic characters when I tried it. It will be interesting to see if yours actually works as intended.
ca6leguy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
Robin2

To be more precise, the text of the camera warning with CP 6.0.1.22 was sometimes absent, sometimes consisting of a jumble of non-alphabetic characters when I tried it. It will be interesting to see if yours actually works as intended.

My original camera warning POI data contained jumbled non alphabetic characters. Mine is the Australian maps.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was right in my surmise - selecting Custom POI/PocketGPSWorld... brings up the warning screen now, and the mod to reduce the time out to 5 seconds is working. The verbal warning is now "Point of interest ahead" whereas before it was "Safety camera ahead".
I was concentrating on the road, so was not able to notice if the screen contained the gibberish noted earlier in this thread, but that was certainly the case here before I did the reinstallation. I think that is a CoPilot bug which may or may not be corrected in the long-awaited patch. I can live with that though, I'm not really interested in the Gatso number when I'm driving.
Robin
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 writes:

Quote:
I was concentrating on the road, so was not able to notice if the screen contained the gibberish noted earlier in this thread...

Of course, you're right. For that very reason, the text display is really of little use anyway. What is needed is a voice prompt or other individual sound identifying the relevant speed limit.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
Robin2

I have just returned from a 500 mile round trip, and made a point of looking at the warning screen. The text is not jumbled, and the diferent types of camera are correctly identified
Robin
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 writes:

Quote:
The text is not jumbled, and the diferent types of camera are correctly identified

That's curious; I assume that you are using CP 6.0.1.22. If so, that's the same version that has produced the jumbled text to which I refer, not only for me but for other contributors to the forum.

Hopefully, it will now amount to no more than another of those strange inconsistencies, and a temporary one at that. For, a little bird on another thread says that the UK patch has now appeared.

PS Riobin2, have the revised EU maps been made available yet?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: