Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - OV2 file format
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

OV2 file format

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omega
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: OV2 file format Reply with quote

Does anyone have any info on the OV2 POI file format. I need to write a PPC app that will allow me to extract a subset of postcode data and write it directly to a POI file for Navigator 2. I am unable to do this using CodeSearch since I frequently don't know the postcodes I need to visit until after commencing the journey, hence I can't do the extract on a PC and transfer it to the PPC before hand.

Searches to date have not turned up any pointers to the actual file format, only conversion programs which run on the PC.
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just put all the Codesearch OV2 files on your PPC? If you put the less frequently used ones in a sub-folder, you can copy them into the map folder when you find you need them.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom support pages have converters in both directions txt<=>ov2 for download.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
The TomTom support pages have converters in both directions txt<=>ov2 for download.

True, but those are PC based - Omega wants to do it while on the road, on his PPC.

Omega, what post code database are you using on the PPC?
Omega
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The post code database files I am using are the CodeSearch_XX_Region files, which are of course in OV2 format already. These files are the ones from the Pocket GPS site downloaded using POI Editor.

Whilst the idea of having all of the files on the PPC and copying the required ones to the TomTom map directory does work (it's what I do now), it is a bit of a kludge to use, and not very practical when you keep using different regions on a regular basis.

The approach taken by CodeSearch is ideal but would require carrying a laptop so I could do the extract and then download it to the PPC. Again possible but something of a sledgehammer for this particular nut. (And of course it adds even more kit to what I already have to carry to each different vehicle!)

What I have in mind is to examine the practicality of doing what CodeSearch does on the PC, but implemented directly on the PPC itself. This would then allow one to build an overlay of say 30 target addresses to visit which may or may not have come from the same post code overlay. Being able to do this on the road would be almost as good as having proper post code lookup in TomTom itself.

I am currently looking through the contents of the OV2 file using a hex editor but reverse engineering file formats tends not to be an exact science and can be quite time comsuming. If the structure of the files is already known then I do not have to waste time and effort re-inventing that particular wheel.
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Whilst the idea of having all of the files on the PPC and copying the required ones to the TomTom map directory does work (it's what I do now), it is a bit of a kludge to use, and not very practical when you keep using different regions on a regular basis.

Wow, you must be covering a huge area!! I have the files for the whole of the South East, plus Birmingham, permanently in the map folder, and the rest of the country in a sub folder. It's only if I have to leave the South East that I ever have to move any files around. I'd hate the idea of having to load files for a specific trip each time I went out, whether on the desktop or the PPC.

I'm not saying your proposed app would not be handy - it certainly would, it's just that unless you cover a massive area it's just not required.

See this thread for more detail of how I work it.
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just checked, and I have 30 individual Postcode OV2's permanently in the map folder, plus a load more POI files, and TTN loads with no problem/delay at all. Searching is also very fast, much faster than searching for an address.

And I don't think I'm anywhere near the limit yet. TTN would not load when I tried to put ALL of the Postcode OV2's in the map folder, but I'm certain it would accept a lot more than I have now.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: