Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 350 - Loves the back roads!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 350 - Loves the back roads!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gvkersen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: back roads Reply with quote

Guys,

I had the same issue with my new Nuvi 760 - running the latest maps (2008) and software 2.20.

It continually sent me away from the the motorway, even going so far to tell me take petrol station exits.
Changing route preferences or unselecting TMC didn't make any difference.

Finally I decided to reset the machine to "factory settings" and that seemed to have fixed it - now it selects the proper fastest route using the motorway.

You may want to try that as well, before dishing out on new maps that may not make a difference..

Good luck! Gijs.

Last edited by gvkersen on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can i just ask, if you haven't already done so, to mention which firmware version you are running. You can post it as a signature if you wish. It might help sort out why some get problems others don't.

additional: might also be worth mentioning (in the thread) what settings you are using for Avoids and Vehicle Type.

I can join in this fun when my 760 comes tomorrow.....
NIKO-007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on firmware 5.30 , I suppose some routing probs are due to locality to, just to make things harder to trace, I have noticed though routing is better with the 2008 maps, I am not trying to be a 2008 map tout but this is the case for me.

Nuvi 350 Firmware 5.30
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: back roads Reply with quote

gvkersen wrote:
It continually sent me away from the the motorway, even going so far to tell me take petrol station exits.

The "Avoid motorways" option must have gotten stuck on some how. Maybe your preferences got corrupted and the reset fixed it... Confused
gvkersen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
additional: might also be worth mentioning (in the thread) what settings you are using for Avoids and Vehicle Type.

Does anybody know what changing the Vehicle Type actually does?
For example if I change it to "bicycle" will it take me down different roads?
I tried some short routes but the only thing that changed was the arrival time... Sad

regards, Gijs.

PS PaulB: I started putting together a manual for "all the things that Garmin didn't tell us". If you send me a PM I can forward it to you.
missing_user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a definite route calculation change when you go between Car and Truck!

As a caravanner the route is vital - and a car route regularly takes you on roads classed just as 'national speed limit' roads, but the truck route is a more sensible route.

I have found this to be true with different Garmin units and software over the last five years Very Happy

I have managed to avoid a 'three point turn' with my caravan since using this option. Very Happy
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gvkersen wrote:
Does anybody know what changing the Vehicle Type actually does? For example if I change it to "bicycle" will it take me down different roads? I tried some short routes but the only thing that changed was the arrival time... Sad

The maps have attributes on the roads so if you have a bus only road then it won't route you down there unless you are in a bus. It also changes the routing to favour major roads slightly more if you select truck.

Pedestrian will route you the wrong way down one-way streets and ignore turn restrictions at intersections.

As for Bicycle, if you try a longer route, you will find that it aviods motorways and dual carriageways. Wink
gvkersen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
... if you have a bus only road then it won't route you down there unless you are in a bus. It also changes the routing to favour major roads slightly more if you select truck

Strange, on my Nüvi 760 I can only choose between car, bicycle and pedestrian, not truck or bus or caravan...
missing_user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in your statement that your unit does not have the 'truck' option as I rely on that on my PC, iQue and 60Csx.

I was looking at your unit as a possible future replacement.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm interested in your statement that your unit does not have the 'truck' option as I rely on that on my PC, iQue and 60Csx.

Is true i'm afraid....
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gvkersen wrote:
Strange, on my Nüvi 760 I can only choose between car, bicycle and pedestrian, not truck or bus or caravan...

Arrrggghhh. Why do they "dumb down" their units by removing features like that? Maybe Garmin think their users are stupid (I don't mean you personally, gvkersen Wink ) or perhaps they just want to reduce the number of options to make it easier to use.

Last edited by Skippy on Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
MarkF
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
gvkersen wrote:

Arrrggghhh. Why do they "dumb down" their units by removing features like that? Maybe Garmin think their users are stupid (I don't mean you personally, gvkersen :wink) or perhaps they just want to reduce the number of options to make it easier to use.

I have just bought the 760 and it doesn't have the truck or bus bit, it does however have a route planner. I tow a caravan and have managed to get my route in France planned using waypoints, I found on my 350 even as a truck or bus it took me down some ridiculous roads. I have just played with mapsource and my old V5 maps, worked a treat with the 760, opened the .gpx file all the data was in map source. Created some routes and saved it as the .gpx the Nuvi imported them no problem.

I will get around to a write up soon, only had it three days.
missing_user

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, the routes you plan on the PC are valuable but on transfer to the unit only the Start/Via points/Finish are available for the Unit to re-calculate the route [according to Unit 'options']

The resultant route may not be identical to the PC route!
As you are planning your trip from v5 software why do you not spend £12 on the Metroguide v9 just for PC use?

I planned my caravanning holiday [4200miles] to Sorrento and other Italian areas last year and only had one software problem at Lake Garda.

Just finished planning this year's holiday to Switzerland on the PC and am checking the resultant route on my units.
MarkF
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:
Remember, the routes you plan on the PC are valuable but on transfer to the unit only the Start/Via points/Finish are available for the Unit to re-calculate the route [according to Unit 'options']

Yes, thanks, I do realise that, I have learnt through trial and error on the 350, last time I had to do several legs with just the 1 via point to get the route I wanted.

strumble wrote:
The resultant route may not be identical to the PC route!
As you are planning your trip from v5 software why do you not spend £12 on the Metroguide v9 just for PC use?

Would love to do that, any links, just did a quick google and its still quite expensive.

strumble wrote:
I planned my caravanning holiday [4200miles] to Sorrento and other Italian areas last year and only had one software problem at Lake Garda.

Just finished planning this year's holiday to Switzerland on the PC and am checking the resultant route on my units.

Indeed, I always check and tend to split my route up to campsite to campsite too. Habit from the Streetpilot 3 which could take half a day to recalculate a long route on the move Wink

Regards

Mark
missing_user

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eBay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Garmin-Metroguide-UK-and-Europe-v9-latest-software_W0QQitemZ320222918549QQihZ011QQcategoryZ47103QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: