Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Law (BILL) - radar speed detectors inside cars/use of
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Law (BILL) - radar speed detectors inside cars/use of
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pko
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know when this law will come into effect, & how will the police know if a device is fitted or not? Also, if the offence only carries a non endorsement fixed penalty, will the risk of being caught with one outweigh the advantages of using one?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pko wrote:
Does anyone know when this law will come into effect, & how will the police know if a device is fitted or not? Also, if the offence only carries a non endorsement fixed penalty, will the risk of being caught with one outweigh the advantages of using one?

It's not scheduled for parliamentary time until the Autumn so unlikely to make it onto the books until this time next year assuming it passes through unchallenged.

However, it is likely that the bill will convey the power top confiscate equipment that contravenes the law so if you're caught you'll be prosecuted (and it won't be a Fp notice, it'll be a day in court) and the loss of you're kit Sad
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly cannot see what the difference is between a radar detector and a GPS based database of known 'black spots' (apart from the obvious). A radar detector's function is represented as being a way for motorists to blast down the roads, knowing they are 'safe' from prosecution if their device does not detect a radar / laser device. This argument could be made for people who have SCD's on their GPS systems. Perhaps they too speed around and slow down for the cameras or black spots if you like. It is all a play on words. I'm not for a minute saying either should be prohibited. Detector users could argue that they too are detecting black spots and therefore reducing their speed at known problem areas and in turn adding to the reduction in KSI's (Killed or Seriously Injured).

If a Police officer chooses to stand at the side of the road with a laser, he is their to detect speeders as he feels it is unsafe to travel at inappropriate speeds at that location. A detector will detect the laser and the driver will slow and therefore it could be said that the result is exactly what the Police want. A GPS user however will not have the benefit of knowing where a Policeman chooses to put himself on a any particular day.

Radar or laser jammers on the other hand are different entirely and they only have an illegal purpose as opposed to a moral purpose which the others may have (depending on your viewpoint).

There are many ways to skin a cat. VASCAR (Visual Average Speed Computer And Recorder) for example does not emit any signal and therefore cannot be detected. It can be used in a stationary or moving vehicle in a variety of modes. Those people who flout the speed restrictions deliberately, whether they use a detector, jammer or even a GPS camera database can all be captured with VASCAR.

As an advanced Police driver, I check my speedometer regularly in any case and try not to speed at all. We all make mistakes however and a momentary laps in concentration is all it takes to fall foul of the law.

For me the jury is still out on what should be allowed. I'm sure someone will have strong views on the matter though. Watch this space.

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderators.....

What clock time do you use for your site ? I posted the last entry at 00:10 yet it shows 01:10 on the post.

Regards,

Tommo

Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
Moderators.....

What clock time do you use for your site ? I posted the last entry at 00:10 yet it shows 01:10 on the post.

Regards,

Tommo

Something to do with the Server.

Just leave it like that and it will be OK from Sunday.;)

It's to do with the Time Settings in your Profile. It needs to be GMT-1 for Wintertime and GMT for British Summer Time. Confused

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
I honestly cannot see what the difference is between a radar detector and a GPS based database of known 'black spots' (apart from the obvious).

I suspect the reasons are more to do with the difficulty of banning a GPS device whereas a radar/laser device can be easily legislated against by using the Wireless Telegraphy laws. Technically you need a licence to receive certain signals and they can easily adapt this law to encompass radar/laser detectors.

GPS based SCD's receive no signal that can be covered bt the WT Acts.

FWIW, I'm a former Traffic Officer and I and my former colleagues dislike fixed cameras and many safety partnership sites because they lack discretion and often target motorists during times of greatest revenue opportunity. There is no attempt to demonstrate a genuine safety reason. Witness the mobile camera on the bridge over the Severn Crossing Toll last week where the 70 reduces to 50 approaching the toll. This is a seven lane section with zero recorded injury accidents in the last 8 years. What possible justification was there for that van other than revenue? It was an international rugby match of course so plenty of new customers.
tgold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
If a Police officer chooses to stand at the side of the road with a laser, he is their to detect speeders as he feels it is unsafe to travel at inappropriate speeds at that location.
If a constable is using a speed meter by the readside, he is there because he is under orders, not by choice, and with the purpose of detecting and recording violations of law, regardless of his "feelings" about what is "appropriate".
Tony
tgold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I suspect the reasons are more to do with the difficulty of banning a GPS device whereas a radar/laser device can be easily legislated against by using the Wireless Telegraphy laws. Technically you need a licence to receive certain signals and they can easily adapt this law to encompass radar/laser detectors.
The requirement that wireless receiving equipment must be licensed was repealed (by the Wireless Telegraphy Apparatus (Receivers) (Exemption) Regulations 1989 (SI 1989 No 123), which was the reason that radar detectors became legal. The remaining laws about receive-only equipment are now all outside the Wireless Telegraphy Act, being the need to be licensed to use TV equipment (Communications Act 2003) and prohibitions on interception of messages (Interception of Communications Act 1985).
Tony
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it is still an offence to receive certain transmissions isn't it? All they have to do is include those from radar and laser which is still technically a transmission albeit at a much higher frequency?
tgold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
But it is still an offence to receive certain transmissions isn't it? All they have to do is include those from radar and laser which is still technically a transmission albeit at a much higher frequency?
Only if there is a message which the person is not authorised to receive. There was an attempt to prosecute a user of a radar detector under that provision in 1997 and it was that failure on appeal (there was no message) which first proved that, through inadvertence, the use of radar detectors had been made lawful. See: http://www.pepipoo.com/Roadside_radar.htm for details.
Tony
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Tony, I knew that radar detectors had escaped previous legislation owing to a loophole but wasn't aware of the finer points!

Last edited by Darren on Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

I understand there is a distinct difference in the properties of the devices and one can be ligislated against because it receives a 'message'. It's down to the opinion of the judge at the end of the day whether he deems a laser or radar signal to be a message. What I was getting at is in the actual use of either a GPS camera database or a radar / laser detector. If you are that way inclined, you are going to use it purely to reduce your inappropriate speed to avoid prosecution at the known or detected sites. So fundamentally they serve the same purpose in that respect.

tgold,

I, as a traffic officer, am not sent out to a specific location to detect and prosecute. In Scotland we are a bit more liberal and realistic and it comes down to the discretion of the officer to some degree, whether or not he chooses to issue tickets to individuals. We do have strategies and matrices to work around but within that there is plenty of scope for using your own judgement.

999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote
Quote:
FWIW, I'm a former Traffic Officer and I and my former colleagues dislike fixed cameras and many safety partnership sites because they lack discretion and often target motorists during times of greatest revenue opportunity. There is no attempt to demonstrate a genuine safety reason.

I couldn't agree with you more. Fixed sites were put in place to reduce injury accidents at known 'black spots'. However once their locations are known by motorists, all they do is reduce the speed at that location but move the problem along the road a bit. Some camera sites as you rightly say cannot possibly be there to promote road safety and are purely revenue gatherers.

mossman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you are that way inclined, you are going to use it purely to reduce your inappropriate speed to avoid prosecution at the known or detected sites. So fundamentally they serve the same purpose in that respect.
and the same could be argued for the paper-based AA Road Map that now lists speed cameras. Happily, the law-makers in this country are being sensible (for a change) and are only seeking to ban detection systems as opposed to information systems
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mossman wrote:
and the same could be argued for the paper-based AA Road Map that now lists speed cameras.

Technically correct, but I'd like to meet the bloke who avoids speeding fines by reading his AA road map to look for speed cameras whilst driving. Laughing Out Loud Joker

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: