Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CAUGHT FOR SPEEDING
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CAUGHT FOR SPEEDING
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wannabyourhero
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've pretty much given up using cruise control following an incident on the M25 some while back when I had to take some violent evasive action. Normally a rapid swerve would cause the speed to be scrubbed off very quickly but the cruise control decided it wasn't having any of this slowing down larkand fed the power in so before I knew it I was heading for the concrete barrier. Only use it now through 40 mph specs covered roadworks.
Find the speed limiter much more effective set at 70 a true 69 on the gps. It also seems to get much better fuel consumption along with higher average speeds than I manage feathering the throttle.
I still maintain the camera database makes me stay within speed limits practically all the time and doesn't encourage me to speed up between them. I'd still rather have more traffic police about though - there's some appalling driving out there but if it isn't in front of a camera...............
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with cruise control, when used in reasonable situations.

Using it when it's too busy / congested, or in poor conditions - plus the effect on driver behaviour, where they are reluctant to disengage it, can be a bad thing.

But it's just like any other feature in cars, good when not abused - and don't get me started on front fog lights. Over long journeys, I find it can actually help with concentration on traffic, make me more alert, and less drained by the journey.
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i read with interest.

please can you all drive around with your forum names clearly displayed in your rear windows.

that way you will be sure to get a wave when you pass me at 69mph Laughing
7272Andy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
and don't get me started on front fog lights

Never mind the front fogs, what about the permenantly on rear fogs that some drivers feel are a necessity around dusk?? :x
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7272Andy wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:
and don't get me started on front fog lights

Never mind the front fogs, what about the permenantly on rear fogs that some drivers feel are a necessity around dusk?? :x

I see far more abuse of front fogs, than rear.

Once in a blue moon, I'll see somebody who's maybe forgot to turn off their rears.

However, I see front fogs daily - perhaps numerous times. I've even seen idiots turn them on, when they get in - and I mean actually turn them on, as opposed to some switch that's been left on, 'cos they've lit up in a separate stage to the rest of their lights.

The problem with them, is that there's too many Neds who think it looks cool. Not helped by the car programs, these days, that on occasion do the same daft trick themselves, and the impressionables get, well, impressioned.
7272Andy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I'd not noticed the front fogs as much as the rear, perhapse it's a regional variation in driver attitude? But, no matter how you cut it, it just come down to being impressionable (hey that looks cool Rolling Eyes ) and abuse of the controls that too many drivers see as "toys"
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The problem with them, is that there's too many Neds who think it looks cool. Not helped by the car programs, these days, that on occasion do the same daft trick themselves, and the impressionables get, well, impressioned.

There are loads of people round here that do that too - sidelights and front fogs on. It might look "cool" but it severly reduces the forward vision you have.

A few years ago you couldn't drive round with fog lamps on at the wrong time without a pull for the Police. Now you can drive around with fog lights on all year without fear - more speed / saferty cameras = less patrols = people get away with more......

BTW If they are "Safety" cameras and not "Speed" cameras why are they triggered by speed and not dangerous driving acts???? Speeding is not necessarily "un-safe"...
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

There are loads of people round here that do that too - sidelights and front fogs on. It might look "cool" but it severly reduces the forward vision you have.

And exacerbated by them not being tested items for alignment, and for that matter, not having much in terms of robust adjustment for alignment.

So quite often, front fogs can dazzle, and because of their angle, any bumps in the road, or wet road surfaces, they can be quite a nuisance. But hey, some goons think they look cool, so they switch them on...
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
So quite often, front fogs can dazzle

Hmm, I thought they were permanently dipped.

Rear fog lights get on my nerves (for about 10 seconds until I pass the car).

Worst though are what I call the w**ker lights. Those little blue lights on the windscreen washers that people think look soooo cool. Quite often I see cars with blue sidelights too. Rolling Eyes
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:
So quite often, front fogs can dazzle

Hmm, I thought they were permanently dipped.

SHOULD be, but as I said, they are not tested, so alignment is probably never verified or adjusted. Plus, as I mentioned, front fogs don't tend to have the same degree or robustness of alignment adjustment, that, say, headlights do.

Plus, them being of short focus, can be some of the problem, as they are low mounted, so get diverted because of bumps, plus tend to reflect upwards off wet surfaces more.

Skippy wrote:
Rear fog lights get on my nerves (for about 10 seconds until I pass the car).

I don't see them anything like as much as fronts, and to be honest, seem more likely to be incompetence, than by design.

Skippy wrote:
Worst though are what I call the w**ker lights. Those little blue lights on the windscreen washers that people think look soooo cool. Quite often I see cars with blue sidelights too. Rolling Eyes

Well the one good thing about them, and front fogs, is that it's an early signal that there's an idiot behind the wheel! ;-)
Amicus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem with "fog" lights used after dark or at dusk, is the light reflected/scattered off a wet surface. Seems much worse than normal h/lights

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: