Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom USA Problems Navigating journeys across map sections!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom USA Problems Navigating journeys across map sections!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: TomTom USA Problems Navigating journeys across map sections! Reply with quote

Hi

Anyone using TomTom with US Maps found a solution to navigating across map segments?

I am using a HP 5550 with a CF Jacket and a 1Gb CF Card, I have the full US Map loaded onto the CF Card, (But as TomTom only supply the map in segments rather than a full map) I cannot find any way to load multiple segments

At the moment I am using the largest segments that TomTom provide the US is in 6 segments each around 150mb,

Now my regular journeys across the US mean a regular trip from Los Angeles to Washington DC, on this trip for example I cross 4 segments, and although there is no problem with the main part of the route as its difficult to screw up on the freeway, I would like to be able to do the following

Plan the total route with business stops and hotel stops programmed in so I can ajust my journey if it looks like I am falling behind, I cannot do that at the moment as often the next stop is in a segment that I have not reached yet, so making it very difficult to plan a complete trip and adjust travel times etc

If anyone has worked out any way to get the entire US map loaded or a way to navigate across segments I would be really grateful for your advice

Regards

Victoria
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky,

sorry to disappoint you but this is not possible in the current version of TomTom Navigator. Some folks are creating favorites at the "stitiching points" between map segments and navigate to those before switching maps, but IMHO this is not a professional solution. We will have to wait until TomTom either allows seamless routing across segments or until they include a basic highway map of the US that can be loaded independently.

Lutz

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks for the info, that is very dissapointing that they did not include that option, or at least a freeway level map of the US like the other options available,

I think I will be using my 14 day right of return with my supplier as an unsuitable product and throw this one back and check out the other options.

Regards

Victoria
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how robust you are when it come to user friendliness but if you just need the basic functionality then check out Mapopolis. If you want something similiar to TomTom then look at Deluo Routis. If you rather want a straight forward, un-cool (in a positive way) application, then look at Copilot live PocketPC 4. All of those are capable to manage your complete trip map (not sure how they work if you have the whole US map installed, but I can imagine all of them will run into memory issues with that.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: