Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advice on iPaq 4700
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on iPaq 4700

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
montyburns
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Advice on iPaq 4700 Reply with quote

Apologies if this is not really the place for this, but would appreciate some help!

I've only had the unit since Christmas, and to be honest, haven't really used it all that much yet (although I do plan to use it more now I have the Sat Nav!)

What's bugging me is switching it off! You'd think this would be simple, and maybe it is, but it seems that when I think I'm switching it off, I'm probably not....

For one thing the battery is draining (seemingly fairly rapidly) whilst "off" and for another, every now and then, the screen lights up for no reason, when it's simply sitting there doing nothing!

Any advice appreciated!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only press and release the on/ off button for a very short press, if you hold it in the backlight will go out giving you the impression the device is off when it is infact still fully powered up - Mike
montyburns
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure this is what I'm doing Mike!

I wasn't to start with (and then found that on "power on" all that was happening was that the PDA was activated but I couldn't see anything as the backlight was off!)
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things here - how do you define the battery drain as quick and is the until second hand? Mine is over a year old and takes over 3 days to drain to a point I feel that it needs charging to maintain the volatile memory. In real time, it lasts over 3 hours in use. If the unit is second hand then the battery maybe about to give up.

There are some very good products (like Battery Pack Pro) that can show you the levels (in minutes as well as percent) if the battery life.

As to sparking up and into life. Is the Bluetooth or Wi-Fi left turned on when you shut the unit down? I have experienced something similiar where, when a device was searching for a bluetooth device, my Ipaq turned on. Thsi can case issues if locked in the boot of the car as it can send out a signal to all in sundry that there is a bluetooth device hidden away somewhere in the car!
montyburns
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's brand new! Well, at Chrimbo anyway!!

Hard to define what you describe as "draining fast", but had it 100% charged, switched off, and one day later was down to 86% - this seems fast to me if it's not even on!

As far as I can tell, the BT is off also (isn't there a blue light top left when it's on?)

SimonCatlin wrote:
Thsi can case issues if locked in the boot of the car as it can send out a signal to all in sundry that there is a bluetooth device hidden away somewhere in the car!

Scary thought!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

montyburns wrote:
I found that on "power on" all that was happening was that the PDA was activated but I couldn't see anything as the backlight was off!)
That confirms the methods you are (were) using to turn off the device is incorrect, I did the same a few times until the penny dropped, switched off I get about 6 days from my 4700 before I charge it, but I seldom use it these days - Mike
montyburns
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I be getting a bit concerned about this!?

I charged it up this morning to 100%.

I then left it for an hour with nothing running except TomTom Nav5 (so the Bluetooth was on)

After the hour, it was down to 84% - is TT and/or Bluetooth really this battery hungry?

Actually I suppose, doing the maths, that's 6.25 hours battery life, so not too bad I suppose?! Wink
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some info in this thread about progs running in the background : http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=36622&highlight=

Also some monitoring software switches the PDA on at intervals in order to gauge what battery is remaining which mayt be why it fires up by its self.

Dave
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monty,

To me - it seems fairly normal....
14% decrease in one day means that you would last a full week without any charge...

As you point out. 6hr battery life while in use.... Pretty good!
montyburns
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still seems to be acting odd.

I've got it set to ask for a password/code on power on. This it seems to do when it's been off for a good while, but if I switch it "off" then straight back "on", it doesn't ask for the password

This implies to me either

a) Time out type settings not right
b) It's not actually powering down

Question
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two password utilities loaded onto the 4700 you should have HP Potect Tools and the password icon contained within settings, which one have you used as they both have time out settings that are user defined, perhaps you have enabled one but set the delay in the other?? - Mike
montyburns
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh, not used the 4700 much (yet) and this is my fault

Just looked and it's the one under "settings" that I've used. Checked the settings in it, and I'd got the "Prompt if device unused" set to 15 mins, which explains the above!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: