Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What is the point in charging for the speed camera database?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the point in charging for the speed camera database?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Lots of cameras that do not exist, and cameras in the wrong place.
I've never had a problem with the old or new database on my travels. And you'll never get 'flashed' by a camera that doesn't exist. :P
nevetas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For £2 a month I'll be paying!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi technik,

technik wrote:
I have seen the new Pay camera database, and it is still as bad as when it was free.

Lots of cameras that do not exist, and cameras in the wrong place.

I thought the idea of paying was to get a 'professional driver' to check out all the cameras in the database and delete or modify the DB as required.

Where are these cameras that do not exist and are in the wrong place?
Your profile states that you’re located in Oxon. Are the incorrect cameras in Oxfordshire?

Don’t forget that if you are the first to report a new or moved fixed camera site then you will get a free lifetime subscription to the PocketGPSWorld camera database.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Berkshire and often travel into Oxfordshire. I have found the DB almost 100% correct Laughing

The only discrepencies I have found is that a fixed camera may be at the wrong side of the road.

Are you talking about Mobile cameras? If so, don't forget that the database can't tell you when they will be there only that they have been there in the past and to be honest, I would rather get a warning saying that a mobile unit has been there then not get one because technik feels that tomtom should be psychic. Wink
Latest Maps
(Internal GPS)
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi lupos0_1,

lupos0_1 wrote:
I live in Berkshire and often travel into Oxfordshire. I have found the DB almost 100% correct Laughing

Thanks Thumbs Up , Bo Peep and I have submitted the vast majority of the Oxfordshire fixed cameras and a number of the Oxfordshire mobile camera sites to the PocketGPSWorld database. We started to submit camera information in January 2004, which was long before we were moderators. Once we’d done Oxfordshire, we started to travel into the neighbouring counties.

lupos0_1 wrote:
The only discrepencies I have found is that a fixed camera may be at the wrong side of the road.

That’s not good. Would you like to record the correct information for that camera, preferably by POI Capture, and send it in? Alternatively and if the camera is in Oxfordshire, then please post the unique PocketGPSWorld camera id in this thread so Bo Peep and I can go and investigate.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
That’s not good. Would you like to record the correct information for that camera, preferably by POI Capture, and send it in? Alternatively and if the camera is in Oxfordshire, then please post the unique PocketGPSWorld camera id in this thread so Bo Peep and I can go and investigate.

Regards,

Already on the case with POICapture. :D To be honest, the cameras I found on the opposite side of the road are in Berks.
Latest Maps
(Internal GPS)
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi lupos0_1,

lupos0_1 wrote:
Already on the case with POICapture. :D .

Excellent news! Thumbs Up

lupos0_1 wrote:
To be honest, the cameras I found on the opposite side of the road are in Berks.

Good luck with your mission. I actually find it very satisfying (yes I know that’s sad) to go past a camera that I have previously submitted to the PocketGPSWorld camera database, which is appears spot-on in terms of location and speed limit etc on the database.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbrady wrote:
technik wrote:
I have seen the new Pay camera database, and it is still as bad as when it was free.

How did you get a copy if you are not a member?

I have seen the latest database, I did not say that I have it myself.

The cameras that do not exist are on the M42, but I cannot remember exactly where, as I was a passenger and was watching someone elses tomtom. I have a Road Angel in my own car, and I know where all the cameras are.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In which case these cameras are probably the GATSO VAR units which are located on the back of the gantrys, you can't see them too easily, as they don't look like "normal units", I was down there last Saturday and they are in the correct places - Mike
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
In which case these cameras are probably the GATSO VAR units which are located on the back of the gantrys, you can't see them too easily, as they don't look like "normal units", I was down there last Saturday and they are in the correct places - Mike

Actually the cameras are very easy to see, as all you do is look at the opposite carriageway, as they are duplicated on both sides.

I always wonder why people slam on the brakes where there is a gantry but no cameras, and if a database is telling people a camera exists when it does not, it is causing unneccesary panic braking.

But if you say your database is correct, then it must be.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:
I always wonder why people slam on the brakes where there is a gantry but no cameras, and if a database is telling people a camera exists when it does not, it is causing unneccesary panic braking.

But if you say your database is correct, then it must be.

Panic braking? Surely not! After all, you'd be having to go some to need to panic brake on a motorway.
wazzzzupmate
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slamming on brakes??
Firstly if you need to slam on your brakes then you are either going much too fast, or you have not figured out how to change the default times for the POI warning system.
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Tis true that there are a few 'rogue' cameras in the database, There's a couple on the A411 from Watford towards the M25 for example, but this is 'camera alley' and I'm not sure which are the falsies and which are genuine, and unfortunately I can't easily stop to check their numbers on the database.

However, on balance I'd much rather have 10 false alarms than 1 unlisted camera... Smile

On the whole I think the database is plenty accurate enough for my needs, although I do find that having proper regard for the speed limits in the first place also helps (a lesson learnt from past speeding fines).

It's also quite handy so you don't need to panic break when you see a camera... Wink
nigwel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all about making money.. Simple these day!!!!! Why make something that is as good as this free when people will pay for it.. Every TomTom dick and harry will have satnav soon... Nothing in this English world is free... Its callled a BANDWAGON... and they got on it.. Thats why it called RIP OFF BRITAIN..
mossman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:
robbrady wrote:
technik wrote:

How did you get a copy if you are not a member?

I have seen the latest database, I did not say that I have it myself.

The cameras that do not exist are on the M42, but I cannot remember exactly where, as I was a passenger and was watching someone elses tomtom. I have a Road Angel in my own car, and I know where all the cameras are.
If it was someone else's TT, how can you be sure that they also had the latest PGPS database? It could have been an old one, a "dodgy" one, or one from another site couldn't it?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: