Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What is the point in charging for the speed camera database?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the point in charging for the speed camera database?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MR_WHITE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: What is the point in charging for the speed camera database? Reply with quote

What is the point in charging for the speed camera database, when I have just seen it freely available on about 4 bit torrent sites, after all you can even get TomTom for free! I think charging for the database will kill it.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been done to death in the feedback forums. Do we really need another thread for it?

Perhaps you could contribute to one of the threads there.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you follow your argument to its logical conclusion then why charge for any software if it can be stolen. In fact why buy anything, why not just go next door and steal your neighbour's stuff? The threat of getting caught should not be the only criteria as to whether or not you steal IMHO.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the point in charging for the speed camera datab Reply with quote

MR_WHITE wrote:
What is the point in charging for the speed camera database, when I have just seen it freely available on about 4 bit torrent sites, after all you can even get TomTom for free! I think charging for the database will kill it.

There are thieves in every area of life. We can track the file sources and once we identify the user who supplied the file we will cancel their account and ban them.

How do you know the source file is ours, is the latest update etc? It's easy to change the file stamps and claim its the latest. In the same way as you'd be mad to get an anti-virus app or update from P2P or BitTorrent, you would be similary foolish to save £2 and choose them as your supplier for our camera database.

Anyone who chooses to steal it in that way gets all they deserve. Perhaps we should take a leaf out of the Music industries books and seed BitTorrent and P2P with knobbled versions Evil or Very Mad
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the point in charging for the speed camera datab Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Perhaps we should take a leaf out of the Music industries books and seed BitTorrent and P2P with knobbled versions Evil or Very Mad

Do it! Wink
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the point in charging for the speed camera datab Reply with quote

MarkHewitt wrote:
Darren wrote:
Perhaps we should take a leaf out of the Music industries books and seed BitTorrent and P2P with knobbled versions Evil or Very Mad

Do it! Wink

I think I'm gonna Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh come on for 2 quid per month vs downloading illegal data from the torrent sites, is it really worth it? - in doing this you are denying the site from the expansion it needs - this will over time be to the benfit of all users of the site - I hope you get a dubious quality download via the torrent, and realise thi behaviour is not true sport - Mike
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the point in charging for the speed camera datab Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
[There are thieves in every area of life. We can track the file sources and once we identify the user who supplied the file we will cancel their account and ban them.

When you have taken this action perhaps you should "Name and Shame" as a deterrent.

Dave
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the point in charging for the speed camera datab Reply with quote

MR_WHITE wrote:

The problem is that people do not equate downloading software from the internet with the idea of shoplifting a software disc from a shop.

But it's just the same, think about it.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What is the point in charging for the speed camera database, when I have just seen it freely available on about 4 bit torrent sites

So you are all for P2P then? Are you a member of all 4? Would you stop using them if they started charging?

Quote:
you can even get TomTom for free

Now this really pppp's me off. I paid the 65 Euros to upgrade from TTN3, purchased with PDA, to TTN5 and then, after loaning it to my son, and not getting it back, I paid out for another PDA and full priced TTN5 Software and European maps + GB.

So you can get TomTom for free can you? Would it be more convenient if I left my front door open so people can walk in and help themselves to a copy of mine. They can even use my computer and drink my tea. Why put them to all the inconvenience of having to force their way in?
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next time, I'm not going to bother paying for TomTom. I'll just goto MR_WHITE's house, break in and steal his.
I'll steal his copy of the database, too. And maybe his car, so that if I get caught speeding it won't matter.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'll steal his copy of the database, too. And maybe his car, so that if I get caught speeding it won't matter.

His copy will probably be full or viruses.

And careful with the car nej, if £2 is too much for him to pay for the Camera Database, what chance is there of his car being Taxed, Insured and MOT'd? I mean, if he can get it free, why not?
MR_WHITE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lot make me laugh! I bet most of you that has commented on this, have got illegal music CDs MP3's DVD's etc sitting in your car and house as I speak! but you just like to arss lick the moderators, get real!!!! People post stuff like MS office 2003 on BT site which is worth over £500. And as for posting fake files, that will soon be sussed out, if you know where to look.
MR_WHITE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Quote:

His copy will probably be full or viruses.

And careful with the car nej, if £2 is too much for him to pay for the Camera Database, what chance is there of his car being Taxed, Insured and MOT'd? I mean, if he can get it free, why not?

One more thing I just need to comment on this idiots posting, I drive a 02 BMW M3 what do you drive??? And yes it is insured and taxed. And as for viruses if you knew anything about computers you would know that it would be impossible to get a virus on this file type.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MR_WHITE wrote:
One more thing I just need to comment on this idiots posting, I drive a 02 BMW M3 what do you drive???

Laughing Out Loud!! Let me guess , the next comment will be 'My dad's bigger than your dad!'

You don't need a Safety Camera Database, you need taste.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: