Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New download system - Comments and suggestions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New download system - Comments and suggestions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren... do you spend all your time on this forum? 8O Laughing

OS Win98 (tee hee I can hear you say!)

IE6
FW Zonealarm
AV AVG

I can actualy download using my laptop at work but I'd prefer to be able to do it from Home.

BTW...great site this!

Alen
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switch off Zone Alarm and let me know if you can access it then?
Alen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw that in a previous post so I've already tried that, as well as switch off the AV - made no difference Sad I bet there arent toomany out there still running Win 98 - would this have anything to do with it?

Alen
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alen wrote:
Saw that in a previous post so I've already tried that, as well as switch off the AV - made no difference Sad I bet there arent toomany out there still running Win 98 - would this have anything to do with it?

Alen

I run an IT Company and rarely come across it any more! Have you anything else i.e. pop-up blockers that may be affecting things?
Alen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope..... my systems a bit like me.....simple! Wink
RicoBunyon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to download using another machine, but I can't get it using my work's machine. The firewall admin says that nothing is getting blocked that he can see. My other machine was connected to a different network that doesn't go through our firewall - unknown though if that's related. I'll try and trace the connection when I get time.
7272Andy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: speed camera files Reply with quote

jsinglet wrote:
I am having the same problem downloading with Firefox as some others (no problems with IE).
I am using Firefox 1.5.0.1 and have the following extensions loaded:
DOM Inspector 1.8.0.1
Talkback 1.5.0.1
PDF Download 0.6
Tabbrowser Preferences 1.2.8.8
and I have also got Dowload Accelerator Plus 7.5.1 configured to run with Firefox.

I can select the sat nav type, and pick the type of download that I want but when I click the Download Database button I get forwarded to a page with
'PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Cameras' as a heading and
'[ Speed Camera index]' as a footer but just a blank box for the body

James

I spent the last couple hours trying to download the database using firefox on a windows platform but to no avail. The download works fine using firefox on a linux platform, my usual setup, and perfectly well using MS Internet Explorer IE on a windows platform.

A temporary workaround is to set firefox to display the download page in IE but this is not the answer.

The problem seems to stem from the script underlying the "Download Database" button not carrying the user responses through from http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras&op=SelectPackage
to http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras&op=DownloadPackage properly.

It seem that firefox on windows is misinterpreting this a web page rather than a download (I'm guessing that the parameters for this final step are not being passed through), so the user gets the blank page described. If the second url is typed into a browser address bar then "firefox page for the frustrated" can be replicated.

I don't know what the answer is to this one so I guess it's over to you guys on the Moderater and Pocket GPS teams (feeling at a loose end darren? Wink.

For info, I tested this using:
Firefox 1.5.0.1 in both normal and safe modes with and without extensions
Internet Explorer 6 with SP2
XP-Pro with SP2 and latest updates
sparkingslider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just joined and paid my money using PayPal (this am) but am having no joy finding the speed camera downloads on the link.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras

Same as other people on here it says:

"To download the latest version of the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database you need to be a subcribed user."

Please can you let me know if there is something else I need to do or is just be patient?!

Many thanks
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkingslider wrote:
I have just joined and paid my money using PayPal (this am) but am having no joy finding the speed camera downloads on the link.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras

Same as other people on here it says:

"To download the latest version of the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database you need to be a subcribed user."

Please can you let me know if there is something else I need to do or is just be patient?!

Many thanks

Hi sparkingslider,

Welcome to the forums!

When you make a payment through PayPal that is funded by Instant Bank Transfer (an instant transfer means that we receive your payment will receive the funds immediately if you have previously added a valid credit card or another bank account as a ‘back up funding source’)

If you used eCheque this means that the person receiving your payment will NOT receive the funds immediately funds will only be received once cleared through the banking system.

I have checked with PayPal and your payment has not cleared yet because you are using eCheque. As soon as payment clears you will receive your membership details automatically.

We do mention it on the payment page, but in amongst all the other information it can understandably be missed Smile
sparkingslider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,

Thanks for clarifying that, I'll check again in a few days.

I was more than happy to sign up to this website because I have found the speed camera download very worthwhile because the early warning system (girlfriend) is usually asleep! Wink

I hope to get the speed camera recording software on my Tom Tom Go so I can start contributing as well just need to read up more to check compatibility with the latest version of TT software.

Cheers
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkingslider wrote:
I hope to get the speed camera recording software on my Tom Tom Go so I can start contributing as well

It's a nice add-on, but you DON'T need it to contribute.
The Go can already store your current position as a Favourite or POI. It just takes a couple more button presses (instructions below). Then you send off the POI file in exactly the same way as you would if you were using the Capture program.
Duffer's guide HERE (last post)
mike123w
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I am trying to subscribe for 12 months to the speed camera data base
but the site won't let me , it keeps saying that i need to register first
to become a member which I already have done, not sure if I am doing
anything wrong! Rolling Eyes

Thanks for your time and help.
galaxy111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Persistent Download Problems Reply with quote

I still can't download the camera database file, even though I have 21 days subscription left. This has been reported previously to Pocket GPS World, who responded very quickly and sent me the files by E-mail - thanks.

But if this problem persists, it's going to discourage a lot of users from subscribing in the future. I feel certain that the failure is a result of the software that PGPSW have written for the download page.

The problem affects both my office PC (Pentium 4, Windows 2000 Pro, IE5) and my home computer (Apple Mac G4, OS X 2.8, Safari). So it seems to affect a lot of different systems.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike123w wrote:
Hi I am trying to subscribe for 12 months to the speed camera data base
but the site won't let me , it keeps saying that i need to register first
to become a member which I already have done, not sure if I am doing
anything wrong! Rolling Eyes

Thanks for your time and help.

Hi Mike.

I assume that you are logged on (as you are now to post) Are you using www.pocketgpsworld.com/subscribe.php ?
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Persistent Download Problems Reply with quote

galaxy111 wrote:
I still can't download the camera database file, even though I have 21 days subscription left. This has been reported previously to Pocket GPS World, who responded very quickly and sent me the files by E-mail - thanks.

But if this problem persists, it's going to discourage a lot of users from subscribing in the future. I feel certain that the failure is a result of the software that PGPSW have written for the download page.

The problem affects both my office PC (Pentium 4, Windows 2000 Pro, IE5) and my home computer (Apple Mac G4, OS X 2.8, Safari). So it seems to affect a lot of different systems.

Hi Mike,

This must be very frustrating for you!

The fact that you have been unable to download on two separate computers is very surprising indeed. Does your office allow downloads from the Internet?

Darren has only had to send out about 3 or 4 sets of files by emails so far, all to do with Mac problems if I remember correctly. This is out of several thousand successful downloads. I'm sure that if more people were ultimately unable to download after they had paid, they would have informed us.

I just need to check the following things with you.

Please make sure that you always use the main site www.PocketGPSWorld.com and not a mirror site. Your browser needs to accept cookies from our site. There is an issue with cookies when you use a mixture of www.pocketgpsworld.com, pocketgpsworld.com (without the www) and the co.uk sites.

On Internet Explorer you can clear your cookies using Tools/Internet Options/Delete Cookies.

Some ISPs store (cache) web pages so they don't always update immediately. 'Hard' refresh subscription/download page by pressing 'Control' on your keyboard whilst pressing the refresh/reload button on your browser.

Are you sure that your privacy/security settings are not set too high? Try adding http://www.pocketgpsworld.com to your trusted sites (Using Internet Explorer - Tools/Internet Options/Security/Trusted sites). Is your firewall blocking us? You should also have JavaScript enabled.

Are you using http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras as the download page?

Please let me know if you still have problems.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: