Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Database download problems with Firefox
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Database download problems with Firefox

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Database download problems with Firefox Reply with quote

'Lo.

Tried downloading the database from the new pages with the drop-down list tonight - it doesn't work in Firefox. I select Tom Tom OV2 in the first list, and click Continue, then UK Consolidated By Type in the second and click Continue again - but instead of downloading the file, it just goes to a page which says :
Quote:
PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Cameras

[ Speed Camera index]
(The second of those two lines is a clickable link that goes back to the start of the process.)

Everything works fine in IE - but I don't want to use IE ....
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too found problems using Firefox, some of the hyperlinks either do not work or have a different effect than IE. Seems to be a problem opening secondary browser windows. Hope this gets fixed, dont want to use the bucket-with-a-hole-in-it security that is IE.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems there is an enduser fix though. Install the IE Tabs extension for Firefox
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=1419&application=firefox
After installation, right click on the "speed cameras" button at the top right of the pocketgpsworld page and select "open link in IE Tab". The hyperlinks now work, this may sort out the download issue you have.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.1 and have no such problems, I don't have any extensions loaded?

When you select the SatNav System Type and Continue do you get the option to Download?
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.1 and have no such problems, I don't have any extensions loaded?

When you select the SatNav System Type and Continue do you get the option to Download?

Yes - as I explained, when I select the system type (Tom Tom OV2) and click continue, it takes me to the next page where I select "UK Consolidated By Type". Clicking Continue at that point, however, just takes me into an almost empty frame with just a link back to the database download start page - no download process is initiated. Following the same steps in IE works fine. I'm running Firefox 1.5.0.1 with Norton Internet Security.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know what to suggest then, I'm using the same version, no extensions and running McAfee Virusscan and it works?

Are you both running Norton IS ? I'm not a fan of Norton (I run an IT Consultancy) and have had all manner of issues with Norton's products so am wondering if that could be the issue?
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, turns out it is a Norton issue, in combination with Firefox. If I disable Norton's firewall the download request works OK in Firefox. With the firewall enabled, it works in IE but not in Firefox.
davideo0
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Database download problems with Firefox Reply with quote

I'm having identical problems as gareth71 and using the same version of Firefox together with Norton IS.

I hope this can be sorted out as I'm not keen to use IE, though I have used it to download on this occaision.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M|y professional advice would be to ditch Norton IS. There are far better anti-virus / security packages (IMHO).

In the meantime I will see if there is a workaround config for Norton.
davideo0
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all very well to suggest ditching what I've found to be a perfectly satisfactory system.

Since there was absolutely no problem downloading the original FREE database: rather than suggest an expensive solution for customers and a convenient let out for Pocket GPS World, I don't think it unreasonable that the solution should be down to Pocket GPS World.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davideo0 wrote:
It's all very well to suggest ditching what I've found to be a perfectly satisfactory system.

Since there was absolutely no problem downloading the original FREE database: rather than suggest an expensive solution for customers and a convenient let out for Pocket GPS World, I don't think it unreasonable that the solution should be down to Pocket GPS World.

With the best will in the world we cannot possibly have answers for every combination of browser, AV package etc. I have said I'll look into it, in the meantime you can still access it with your config using either the IE Tabs plug-in for Firefox or IE.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To keep it all tidy can we post any suggestions, problems etc in this thread.

This thread is now locked.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: