Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Base Maps. (Bug)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Base Maps. (Bug)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Base Maps. (Bug) Reply with quote

If you have tried using your I3 or C310 in Europe or have tried removing the SD card and using it you will notice that the base maps seem very inacurate because you often find you are driving in a field 30 meters or so to the left or right of the road.

I had put this down to the I3/C310 not being very accurate at knowing its location and assumed it correcting itself with the enhanced detail in the detailed maps.

Investigating it seems I am wrong.

I tried this:

I simulated a journey in Europe with my c310 and then one in the UK with the SD card removed. The journeys were simple from one point on the base map to another. With the map view set to cover about 10 mile square the simulation seems to follow the road, but change the map view to the maximum zoom and notice even when simulating a journey the position shown can be a good few meters off the road. THIS IS SIMULATING A ROUTE The simulation you would think would follow the road exactly perfectly. It seems the graphics of the base maps are sligtly out of sync with the vectors behind them used for route planning and this is why on the base Europe maps you can seem a long way from the road when infact you are actually on it,
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what is happening in simulation mode that is a bit odd. I can confirm that the basemaps are very rough maps and are missing a lot of important information.

I have used basemaps in Europe and they are pretty much useless compared to the detailed turn by turn directions we are used to. Motorway junctions will be shown as a normal intersection rather than the spaghetti junction that they are in reality.

Basemaps are ok as a rough guide but you couldn't rely on them for navigation.
Milkfloat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Base maps are exactly that, i.e. Base. They are simply lines on a screen. Most of teh time the source is free or of very low cost to Garmin. They should only be used as a very rough guide to where you are.
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes agreed, they are not much good. However the point I was making is that the I3 or C3xx, when following the base maps (even in simulated mode) does not keep the positioner on the road? When the unit is simulating a route you would expect it to follow the only reference to a road it had would you not? You would not expect ot to show the vehicle running parallel to the road several meters to one side or the other?
missing_user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried my Garmin iQue 3600 with just the Basemap.
Same results as you - always away from the road, even though I chose the setting 'lock to roads'!
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcb wrote:
when following the base maps (even in simulated mode) does not keep the positioner on the road?
I remember my old Garmin GPS III had this issue - it has basemaps on it that covered the major roads, but it was all developed at a particular resolution - the manual mentioned you could zoom in further, but the map would no longer be accurately displayed as it was displaying a greater accuracy than the mapping data.

I wonder if something similar is happening here - if you zoom out a level or two does it appear to be "better" at following the route?
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, zoom out a couple of levels and it appears OK. All I am saying is that the mapping vectors followed to navigate do not apear to be the same as the graphics.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: