Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigation Question.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigation Question.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greyfox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Navigation Question. Reply with quote

The wife and I are travelling down from Inverness to Kent on Friday. Were planning to break the journey somewhere near the Lake District. We're not sure yet.

But the fact is, this will be the first occasion when, to a large degree, we'll be dependent upon sat navigation. Most of the journey should be no problem as we know the road well enough, but dependency upon sat nav directions will increase as we approach London.

My question is: will the unit direct us through the center of London or is it more likely to make use of the M25 ring road?

It's probably a dumb question. But I'm prepared to show my complete ignorance in an effort to make the final stages of the journey as stress-free as possible.

The unit (269+) has been set up with all roads enabled, and for the fastest route, not the shortest.

Can any one advise on what I should expect?

My apologies if this should have been posted to a different forum.[/b]
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom routes you via M6 toll and M25. My sons friend is a lorry driver and he said he prefers the A1, you could always set up to avoid M6 and it'll route you via the A1.

I've just checked the route from Inverness to Gillingham (Kent) and it shows, (via M6) = 9H 56m - 599 miles. (via A1) = 9H 50m - 599 miles.

The M25 can get very congested at times, especially on the approach to the Dartford Crossing.

I've done the route a few times, when visiting Drumnadrochit, (never did see the monster) Wink and it's a long old journey. I suggest you stop off at one of the services when you get to the M25, have a break and relax.

The mapping on TomTom is excellent in and around Kent.

If you are new to Sat Nav, there are a number of extras. You say you want to stop off at the Lake District. You can set up a town as a via or a waypoint. If you need to know more, get back and I or hundreds of others will be able to help.

One thing I would say, make sure you carry a 'paper' map in your boot, just incase the battery goes flat in your 269. :P

Have a nice time in the Garden of England.
Greyfox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'TomTom routes you via M6 toll and M25. My sons friend is a lorry driver and he said he prefers the A1, you could always set up to avoid M6 and it'll route you via the A1. I've just checked the route from Inverness to Gillingham (Kent) and it shows, (via M6) = 9H 56m - 599 miles. (via A1) = 9H 50m - 599 miles.'

Not a lot in it, then. However, She Who Must Be Obeyed prefers the M6 and as she's navigating we'll probably travel using that route.

'The M25 can get very congested at times, especially on the approach to the Dartford Crossing.'

There's now a strong chance we will delay our departure and travel on Saturday, rather than Friday, to arrive in London late Sunday morning.
Hopefully, the roads will be quieter then.

'I've done the route a few times, when visiting Drumnadrochit, (never did see the monster) Wink and it's a long old journey. I suggest you stop off at one of the services when you get to the M25, have a break and relax.'

Sound advice. We'll need a break by then. As far as Nessie is concerned, when you next visit the Highlands you should follow the Whisky Trail. A lot of tourists do and, as a consequence, Nessie is sighted far more often. :D

'The mapping on TomTom is excellent in and around Kent.'

I had a look at the area around Orpington, Bromley and Eltham - my old stamping ground - using the software installed on this unit. Very little seems to have changed since I left. But there's no doubt it will be a bit of a culture shock after the peace and quiet of the Highlands. A pint of good English bitter should help to cushion the shock though. Wink

'If you are new to Sat Nav, there are a number of extras. You say you want to stop off at the Lake District. You can set up a town as a via or a waypoint. If you need to know more, get back and I or hundreds of others will be able to help.'

Thanks, the offer is much appreciated. I'm familiar with hand-held units, using them as I do out on the open hill, so I'm aware of waypoints, poi etc. But mobile Sat Nav is a whole new experience for me and I'm not too sure what to expect. That said, I'm really looking forward to the journey south. It will be an opportunity to see precisely what this unit is capable of.

'One thing I would say, make sure you carry a 'paper' map in your boot, just incase the battery goes flat in your 269. :P '

Have no fear, the very last item I shall confirm as being stowed will be the Sat Nav power lead. A flat battery? God forbid! I'd never hear the last of it.

I have a decent road atlas and the route itinary I got from the AA's web site, so any problems we have will hopefully be small ones.

'Have a nice time in the Garden of England.'

Thanks. Fingers crossed the weather stays kind.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not a lot in it, then. However, She Who Must Be Obeyed prefers the M6 and as she's navigating we'll probably travel using that route.

Leave it to 'Jane', she'll keep quiet all the way down the M6 until you go onto the M1. 'Jane, that is. :P

I travel a number of times on day trips to France, so much more relaxing with the Sat Nav and my wife can enjoy the countryside rather than peering at a map all the time.

Quote:
There's now a strong chance we will delay our departure and travel on Saturday, rather than Friday, to arrive in London late Sunday morning.
Hopefully, the roads will be quieter then.

If you're going to London you won't go via the Dartford Crossing. Don't forget the Congestion Charge in London. TomTom will/should tell you when you set the route.

Quote:
As far as Nessie is concerned, when you next visit the Highlands you should follow the Whisky Trail. A lot of tourists do and, as a consequence, Nessie is sighted far more often.

Ok then, it's more than a 'wee dram' on my next visit. :D

Quote:
I'm really looking forward to the journey south. It will be an opportunity to see precisely what this unit is capable of.

You'll be pleasantly surprised. Not 100% perfect but far better than 'paper' maps.
Greyfox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave it to 'Jane', she'll keep quiet all the way down the M6 until you go onto the M1. 'Jane, that is. :P

Ah, well, there's the rub; if I told 'er indoors to put a sock in it and 'Jane' got us lost, I'd be dead meat. Navigating successfully to our overnight stop will go a long way toward allaying her skeptism.

I travel a number of times on day trips to France, so much more relaxing with the Sat Nav and my wife can enjoy the countryside rather than peering at a map all the time.

That's exactly what I told her. But some women are born to be navigation martyrs. If this trip is successful, it will change her attitude toward Sat Nav completely. Me? I was lost to techy stuff years ago.

If you're going to London you won't go via the Dartford Crossing. Don't forget the Congestion Charge in London. TomTom will/should tell you when you set the route.

Forgive me, I unintentionally mis-led you on two counts. The unit I shall be using is a Mio 269+ and my reference to London was meant only as a general term for journey's end. (Well, almost). Our destination is most definately Kent. Sorry about that.

Ok then, it's more than a 'wee dram' on my next visit. :D

Be sure to take it with a little local burn water. It brings out the flavour a treat. Wink
Greyfox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just checked and my last post is a mess. How do you guys quote more than one section when responding to a post?
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highlight and copy e.g. How do you guys quote more than one section when responding to a post? Then in your answer click on Quote, just above, then paste the text then click on Quote a second time.

eg.
Quote:
How do you guys quote more than one section when responding to a post?

Highlight and copy the next bit of text you want to quote.... then as above etc.

Just an aside, which will probably please your wife.

When I had TTN3 it had a 'Reverse Route' function. We set off to France and as we were directed off the A26 at Exit 4, my wife said she needed a toilet. We had no idea where the next toilet would be on the D roads so decided to carry on to an 'Ayre' between exit 4 and 5. No problem, as 'Jane' would re-route us. She did and we had a good day out.

Set up for Return journey, no problem. Some time later 'Jane' instructed me to take the next right, which I did. My wife, looking at the map, informed me we should have gone straight on. 'So you know better than this then'? pointing at my trusty, new, shiney, Mio 168.

We carried on and on, and when in what seemed like the middle of nowhere, 'Jane' said 'In 200 yards you have reached your destination'. No we hadn't!! My wife casually said 'It appears I do know better than that then'! (Eat Hymble Pie time). I set to Home and had no more problems, except a bit of 'ear ache' from guess who?

It wasn't until later that I remembered noticing I had lost the satellites, for a few seconds, some time after leaving Exit 5. I hadn't realised this would upset 'Jane' and she would try to get me back to where I had 'first' locked on. I had Major Roads of Europe only then so was often off the roads, although I could see distant roads on screen. Never made that mistake again and fortunately can't do it with TTN5.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: