Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Emtac BT adapter - losing conenction
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Emtac BT adapter - losing conenction

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackshark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Emtac BT adapter - losing conenction Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a 5550 and an Emtac Bluetooth GPS adapter. Loaded up the CoPilot 4 UK software and am having problems. At random intervals it loses connection between to teh BT GPS receiver and I get taken to the Bluetooth Manager screen.

TomTom 2 works AOK, no problems. Thoughts?

Tim
Blackshark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Emtac BT adapter - losing conenction Reply with quote

BTW - I have the app and map data loaded in to the 128 Mb memoty on the 5550. Lightning quick. Anyone thinking of the doing the same wont be disappointed.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

You say TomTom works okay, but this really sounds more a problem with the Bluetooth stack. How far away is the Bluetooth Receiver from the Pocket PC ?
Blackshark
Occasional Visitor

Right, drove back from Leeds to London yesterday. Starting off in Leeds, when ever I stopped, the blue tooth manager came up after about 5 seconds and I needed to select the Emtac again. As soon as I was driving, no problems.

Got to a service station and stopped, no problem. Worked fine until I got back to the flat.

Odd. Ill try it again today going to work, seee if I get the same issue.

Thanks for your assistance

TIm
Dave
Frequent Visitor

This would smack to me as being outside interference. Try it on short journeys, stopping at traffic lights. If you get it everytime you stop for 30 seconds or beyond then you may find something kicks in, on your car that's creating an electrical field when you stop.

The reason why to me it sounds like it might be something external to the Pocket PC and Bluetooth receiver is I've never heard of anything like this happening before.

Another way to fault diagnose this would be to instead of running CoPilot, run WinFast Navigator against the Bluetooth GPS and see if you see the signal drop off, or the NMEA stream freeze. If you do, then it could be interference. If you don't see it, then it could be for some strange reason CoPilot is getting really confused when you stop.
Blackshark
Occasional Visitor

Right, time for an update. I had thought about re-posting over the last two weeks but decided not to. I have managed to track down the problem. The Bluetooth stack is not at fault on the 5550 I have, nor is CoPilot4. My Emtac has decided to no longer grip the power connoector when it is plugged in so it has been running very low on power and not transmitting too well.

I suspect each time I picked the IPAQ up out of its holder, I giggled (teki word) the lead and it occasionally connected and started to work.

Apologies for casting aspertions on CoPilot!!

Regards and thanks for all your help

Tim
paulmk
Occasional Visitor

Hi Tim

I have just purchased a 5550 and am about to purchase the GPS Kit and need some advice. Which of the software platforms do you prefer as you have both TTN2 and Co-Pilot live, my 2 choices. I am also trying to decide between whether to go for BT or Sleeve GPS unit, at the moment i am moving towards BT and have also noticed that co-pilot have now got a BT Package that looks very similar to the emtac unit.

Also is the volume from the speaker on the 5550 adequate as there have been some negative comments.

cheers

Paul
Blackshark
Occasional Visitor

Sorry for not replying earlier.

TomTom 2 has its +'s, good solid product, works well, map data not too bad, nice 3D driving view, good support for POIs

CoPilot 4 - promises a lot. Better map data (IMO) and support for motorway junctions. The two way communication thingy may be useful but I am waiting for the release of the Traffic Info addon.

The Emtac/Socket and all other rebadged versions are great. If I put my colleagues and I together, we have bougth 7 different Pocket GPS solutions, Emtac/socket beats them all (a mixture of BT, jackets). Great first time fix and the sensitivity of the aerial is just unbelievable.

Regards Tim
Blackshark
Occasional Visitor

Oh, and the volume on the 5450 and 5550 is dire. However, get a BT headset and pair it with you mobile and the IPAQ. Instant voice directions in your ear when you need them without the hastle of having to have your radio volume down to 1 notch past on!!!

Tim
laredo46
Occasional Visitor

I purchased Co-Pilot Live last week with BT. The GPS Unit is made by EMTAC appears exactly the same except for the Co-Pilot logo. The PC2002 BT software identifies it as an EMTAC GPS. It usually holds 8 sats with the unit sitting on the dashboard. I lost the signal today, which was caused by a low battery in the receiver, despite the indicator lights showing that it still had a Sat signal. I plugged the DC adapter in & it quickly came back online. I'am having a problem with the routing. It seems that I have to click the "Avoid Toll Roads" to get the mapping program to keep me on a toll road or interstate.

IPAQ 5455 W/ Seido Pak

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: