Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Western Europe, does'nt include Ireland!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Western Europe, does'nt include Ireland!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Western Europe, does'nt include Ireland! Reply with quote

Extract taken from TomTom website:

Dec 12 2005

TomTom extends its map offerings with a seamless map of Western Europe, available as a memory card accessory, as well as expanded map download service

UK, 12 December 2005, TomTom, Europe’s leading personal and in-car navigation solution provider, today announced it is to offer its TomTom GO, TomTom GO 300, TomTom GO 500, TomTom ONE and TomTom RIDER customers the opportunity to purchase a single memory card including map data of the entire Western Europe.

That's interesting, map data of the ENTIRE western Europe!, i don't think so. I have since fired off an e-mail to TomTom stating that they still do not have any decent coverage of Ireland, both Northern and Southern, and as a result should not be advertising the fact that they do. Futhermore this is also very misleading to customers, and surely some breach of advertising code.

It's interesting to note, that when the TomTom 'GO' range first appeared they were advertising Ireland coverage on thier map of Europe coverage.
Until people complained to TomTom, me included, they removed Ireland coverage from their map of Europe.

Interesting to hear what you guys think, i think it's about time we had some decent coverage of Ireland. I'ts got to be a good year to year and a half since i last ranted about this. Laughing
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomtom get there data from teleatls so they may be waiting for teleatlas to get some decent coverage before reincluding ireland even navteq's ireland coverage is patchy

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Ireland coverage, I posted this on the MyTomTomGo forum yesterday...

As TomTom keep saying they haven't got the required data from TeleAtlas, I tried going to the TeleAtlas Website to see if they had details of where they have actually mapped, as opposed to where TomTom say they have.
I couldn't find anything definitive, but browsed about a bit and found this for a Blaupunkt system:
Quote:

* Detailed Road Network:
Detailed street network of Great Britain.
Detailed street network of Belfast, Greater Dublin and 15 Irish cities including Cork, Galway and Limerick.

* Major Road Network:
Major road network of all Ireland.

* House Numbers:
House numbers are provided for towns and cities in Great Britain as well as for Belfast, Cork and Dublin.

That sounds better than TomTom are offering, but I haven't got mine with me today to check. Is it?
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at google maps, they use teleatlas data. Dublin is fully mapped. I bought a GB Plus map because TomTom said it included a map of Dublin, I installed it only to find it is the major roads only.

I'm obviously not the only one who feels they have been conned by TomTom.
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Destinator PN because it has better coverage in Southern Ireland (amongst other reasons) but I have just signed up dealers in Czech Republic and Poland. From the looks of it, Navteq maps supplied with Destinator PN don't have these territories whereas European maps for Tom Tom (teleatlas) do.

There's always a catch isn't there? :-)
Holux GPSslim
Jonboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do hope if and when TomTom decide to bring out any further new models to their in car range, that they include Ireland in their plans.

For a start their missing out on potential revenue from a whole country for a start, well two countries, including Northern Ireland. But thats not reallly the point here, in this day and age of computers, and space age technology you'd think the powers that be would be able to map a country like Ireland to some sort of degree?, i mean if they can do France, Spain, and even talk of mapping former eastern block countries, then why not?

Sure your not going to get 100% coverage overnight, but at least can't we have some of the larger cities at least, Dublin, Belfast, Cork,etc, etc.

I know this problem is'nt really to do with TomTom themselves but their respective mapping supplier, but for crying out loud let have some action, and lets have it now! Wink
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But as I said above, if you can believe the TeleAtlas website they HAVE got better mapping of Ireland....
Quote:
Detailed street network of Belfast, Greater Dublin and 15 Irish cities including Cork, Galway and Limerick.

So why haven't TomTom used it?
rugrat2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So heres a thought, instead of us all sending emails to tomtom about theft of units etc, Lets bug them about mapping, which after all is what the tomtom is all about. Idea
ballahadigue
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just got a TomTom one only to find Ireland is not on the map Twisted Evil the thing is I bought it here in IRELAND from Argos why the .... are they selling them here if there is no map.
McToshie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Use of TomTom in Southern Ireland? Reply with quote

I was recently informed it is illegal to use a TomTom Go in Southern Ireland. It was explained this is because this gps can be adapted to alert drivers to safety camera locations. Can anybody advise me if this is correct?
Go_fish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Use of TomTom in Southern Ireland? Reply with quote

McToshie wrote:
I was recently informed it is illegal to use a TomTom Go in Southern Ireland. It was explained this is because this gps can be adapted to alert drivers to safety camera locations. Can anybody advise me if this is correct?

Hmmm... interesting. My new tomtom 910 arrived today, and as I am driving back to Dublin (from the UK) next week, I thought I would see what coverage it has of Ireland (specifically Southern). The coverage, although very limited, is available in part, so clearly this has improved over the past months. I didn't even think about the speed cameras though, and I have not been able to find any cameras listed for Southern Ireland under the POI list (there are ones for lots of other European countries but not Ireland) - so am not sure that is would be illegal in Ireland as it doesn't list any?

Interesting article which may answer your query:

http://www.spatialireland.com/archives/20060423-in-car-navigation-systems-speed-detectors-and-the-law/

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: