Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Shot by a Sniper? Camouflaged Cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Shot by a Sniper? Camouflaged Cameras
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you agree with hiding fixed speed cameras?
Yes
2%
 2%  [ 9 ]
No
95%
 95%  [ 288 ]
Not sure
1%
 1%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 303

alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont give them ideas Laughing Laughing Laughing

current h and s studies have conculded that you are actually safe nt wearing them as everyman and his dog wear them now

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Speed cameras at schools Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
Why don't people know what the speed limit is ?

People know very well what the speed limit is, they just don't know what speed they are travelling at. Laughing

The question you should be asking is "Why don't people know what speed they are doing without looking at the speedo".

In good conditions you want to make good progress by travelling at speeds right up to the posted limit for the particular road. As a police trained driver, I'd say you'd have a better than average awareness of your speed. So try an experiment: Cover up your speedo and then use a sat nav to record a track log of your speed on a full range of roads and see how well you do. It's actually quite difficult to get the right balance between making good progress and not exceeding the limit.

Added to this is the fact that many people (rightly or wrongly) consider it safe and reasonable to exceed the posted speed limit under certain conditions just as they feel it would be unsafe to travel AT the posted speed limit in other conditions.

Speed cameras tend to be sited at places where they will make maximum revenue and this is where drivers tend to exceed the speed limit. People have become acustomed to checking their speed when they see a camera or if they don't see the camera early enough to check their speed then they just brake anyway to be on the safe side.

That's why people think they are dangerous.

I hit a dog while riding my bike once. I was doing exactly 30 MPH at the time. I know that because there was a speed camera there (right outside a school no less) and I was looking at my speedo at the time. I didn't see the dog until after I hit it. Fortunately there were no injuries or damage and the dog left the scene before I could exchange details. It really did make me think: Would I have avoided the dog had it not been for the speed camera? Maybe, maybe not. Would I have SEEN the dog had it not been for the speed camera? Certainly.

999tommo wrote:
Perhaps we should make it compulsory for pedestrians to wear fluorescent jackets to make THEM more visible.

Laughing

Good idea, but it wouldn't make any difference, they would still walk straight out in front of you, cross when then red man is displayed or (my favourite) cross the road within a few yards of a pedestrian/trafficlight crossing. In fact, it would probably make them more complacent and their behaviour worse.

Also consider that the pedestrians that the traffic calming and 20 MPH limits are trying to protect are killed because of their own stupidity ~90% of the time. Yet, it's the driver that is the bogey man here.
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy
That's it in a nutshell. People see pedestrians, or other hazzards, but fail to react to them. Here is an example.

You are travelling behind a bus on a known bus route. What is going to happen ?

Obviously the bus is going to stop (sooner or later). If a driver pays attention to what is on the bus, rather than the rear lights, he would see the person standing up (about to get off).

How many times have you been stopped in a queue behind a bus, due to the person at the front failing to appreciate the bus was going to stop, ending up too close to overtake and then just blocking the road.

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: