Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Find a City
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Find a City

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Find a City Reply with quote

I am a new user of TT2.24 on a Dell Axim , and I am quite pleased with it so far but I have a number of 'issues' which some one may be able to clarify for me.

1. I am aware that 'Postcode search' doesn't really work but what I want is a City search. Imagine I want to go to say Newcastle from my home in say Brighton. I don't know the road name but will recognise it when I get there. My need is to 'FIND' Newcastle and display it in the map view so that I can zoom in and find the street manually then set that point as my destination. I cannot find a city without being forced to input a street name. I realise that I can , in map view, move the map around manually but surely there must be a way of telling TT to 'show Newcastle?

2. I am aware that one can always improve on TT routes with good local knowledge but I am a bit concerned about the way it forces me into routes which I wouldn't want to take on local B roads. This isn't a big deal in the car but in my 20ft Motor Caravan it will be. I imagine the solution is down to selection of speeds for each road type but all attempts so far have failed to find a useable set. Has anyone ( preferably with a Motor Caravan) got a list of road speeds which work?

3. I have used Autoroute before and am used to being offered a Shortest vs Quickest type route option but TT doesn't seem to give me that choice as far as I can see. Am I missing it on some menu yet unnoticed?

Roy
chrish01
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Find a City Reply with quote

(1) when finding, put the city name in the street field as well as the city one - this will display the centre of the city.

(3) Get up the Plan Route screen (use icon to right of the 'tools' entry on the menu bar, select the 'type' tab

Chris
RoyC
Regular Visitor

Chris - Thanks for 3. I hadn't noticed that.

Re 1. This doesn't do it for me.

What I did was
a. Go to Nav screen.
b. tap screen and select FIND
c. Enter City and Street the same

When I return to Map view it isn't displaying as expected.
I have tried this with Guidance ON and OFF.

What have I done wrong.

Roy
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

1) There is no need to enter the street name. Just specify the city, leave the street field empty, and then hit "OK" in the upper right corner. Then select "Show on map" and it takes you to the city center (or what TomTom believes the city center to be)

2) You may want to set the local street values very low so they get avoided unless they are in the destination area. I guess you prefer major roads with your RV.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
RoyC
Regular Visitor

1. Excellent Lutz. It is strange how this works by using the icon at the bottom in Map view but it doesn't seem to work in Nav view. In Nav view I don't seem to get the final menu selection possibility of 'Show on Map'. Anyway I am happy with that route - thanks.

2. Yes I can see how that would sort it but I was unsure of the real significance of 'Connecting roads' , 'Important local roads', and 'Local Roads' - I wonder how they relate to the UK A and B roads. My guess is that all three of these really relate to B category roads but I am unsure how TT determines that a road is an 'Important local road'. Anyway your solution will suffice - thank you.

Roy
hornist
Regular Visitor

Re searching for just the city/town/village. How do you do this if you have previously searched for a street in the same city? In this case the 'street' input screen (2nd page of address choosing) comes up with the previous street you searched for filled in and you can't get rid of it. Even if you try to delete it it still gets used as soon as you click on OK.

Paul
aero
Regular Visitor

RoyC, I remember reading a thread by some forum members who own motor caravans - here is the link which you might find useful.
RoyC
Regular Visitor

Aero - thanks for the link.

Roy
kinnioch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:06 pm    Post subject: Motor Homes Reply with quote

Hi RoyC - Like you I'm new to TTN2 (ipaq 5970) & tow a caravan - so I've experienced similar problems (navigated into a farm yard in France!). A couple of questions please: 1.Have you had a chance to try out 'setting low road speeds yet - did it work? 2. can you give me the 'link' that AERO gave you, I've tried clicking but link now disconnected. Thanks Kinnioch
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Re the link - sorry I didn't make a note of it and - yes - it is disconnected now.
2. Re low road speeds. I am still having problems. Various people have given me suggestions re the modification to speeds but all the routes have the same problem for me that you describe.

One set reduced the motorway speed to avoid tolls on french autoroutes. I had this set in UK and found it taking me way off just to avoid the motorway.

I am basically back to the default set in the absence of anything better. I suspect that the real solution is in a better road categorisation or improved maps with road width knowledge.

Roy
kinnioch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyC
Thanks for such a quick response, oh that Tom Tom were so fast! I will try various setting and see if anything works.
I notice that in another 'thread' it was suggested that a "Prefer/ Avoid" Motorway option is needed - rather like the AA (or is it) RAC route planner, where there check box for CARAVANS.
Maybe one day?
Ken

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: