Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Text to Speech on Co-Pilot?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Text to Speech on Co-Pilot?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vipergrm
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Text to Speech on Co-Pilot? Reply with quote

Can anyone help me set this up? I thought Co-Pilot had the ability to pronounce Street names etc but so far mine never has. I only get the built in voices which are the worst quality I have heard from any navigation system. Many thanks guys,

Wink Viper
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CoPilot help pages describe in detail how to switch voices.

http://www.alk.com/support/copilotlive_pocketpc6/faqs_speech_2.asp

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though the web site in the link is ALK Europe the TTS files quoted are US files. By default the uk cab file installed is the TTSUK cab file and is male with no option for female. Not tried the US files so I'm not sure how they cope.

Dave
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipergrm writes:

Quote:
I only get the built in voices which are the worst quality I have heard from any navigation system.

The question of sound quality is discussed on the following thread:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=35756

vipergrm's post suggests that he is using the recorded human voice rather than TTS. As discussed on the thread quoted above, both types of voice are crackly on some PDAs but not others Rolling Eyes Therefore, it seems likely that vipergrm will find the same sound quality problem when he changes to TTS - although the street names will be spoken.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the Wave voice good, and the TTS voice acceptable, using an amplified mount. While the UK TTS voice is usable, I find the US voices a lot worse. I doubt that I would find any voice good enough if I didn't use an amplified mount.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iankb writes:

Quote:
I doubt that I would find any voice good enough if I didn't use an amplified mount.

I'm not sure if what he says is intended to rebut anything already said above, or on the thread that I quoted. However, I would just say that the crackly voice problem, already described, occurs with or without amplification - in my experience at least.

It appears from my own two PDAs and from the thread that I quoted that either one gets the crackly voice or one does not, and that this may be a CP6-PDA compatibility issue.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the problem is with the PDA's speaker, then using an amplified mount with the earphone socket can improve on the quality, as well as the volume. Easy enough to test by listening to the voices with some earphones.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iankb writes:

Quote:
If the problem is with the PDA's speaker, then using an amplified mount with the earphone socket can improve on the quality, as well as the volume. Easy enough to test by listening to the voices with some earphones.

Agreed, but as made clear on the thread quoted above, this problem manifests itself through bluetooth. Also, other sound-producing applications, such as MP3 players, work perfectly through the same speakers.

The PDA speaker is not the problem.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. when I said above "the same speakers" I meant the PDA speakers.
vipergrm
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, many thanks for all your replies. The guide posted above for re-installing TTSUK worked a treat. I already installed this before but it never worked. I thought there may have been something that needed changed but it seems that the problem was with the initial installation. I find this version of CoPilot extremely buggy.

Every time I quit and restart, my version never updates. For example, if I put in new destinations and then quit and restart, they don't appear to update in my favourites. It seems to be stuck or something. Also, I tried to play with the custom routing. In theory, it's a great idea but it just doesn't work! Every time I put it back to basic mode it reverts back to 'advanced mode' every time I start the program. This means I have to constantly go into the settings and change this all the time. Quite frustrating. Has anyone else experienced these issues? I'm considering wiping my PDA and re-installing.

SOUND ISSUES

As for the sound, my Dell X30 produces decent and loud enough sounds. This is evident when I use Navigon. These voices are of a much higher quality than the muffled sounds of Copilot. I have no doubt the problem is the actual voice samples themselves. I use 'Jane'. Other voices such as the Aussie chick and the Americans seem to be better quality.

Nonetheless I am now using TTS which actually is much better than I thought it was going to be. I also have to point out that the Speed Camera database DOES NOT WORK AT ALL. The warnings just don't happen. Don't know why this is either. I am pretty sure I installed this correctly.

Many thanks for your help and support. One more thing, any ideas as to when Copilot will be releasing a patch for this version?

Thank you!

Viper
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipergrm wrote:
....Every time I quit and restart, my version never updates. For example, if I put in new destinations and then quit and restart, they don't appear to update in my favourites. It seems to be stuck or something. Also, I tried to play with the custom routing. In theory, it's a great idea but it just doesn't work! Every time I put it back to basic mode it reverts back to 'advanced mode' every time I start the program. This means I have to constantly go into the settings and change this all the time. Quite frustrating. Has anyone else experienced these issues? I'm considering wiping my PDA and re-installing.

The custom routing is a known bug, as KenS reports:
'This is a bug in 6.0.0.68. BMWBiker has a later version which seems to have this fixed'.

My version 6.0.0.79 I think is only useable in USA.

This topic with some workarounds is discussed at length in a nearby thread:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=190474#190474

Quote:

One more thing, any ideas as to when Copilot will be releasing a patch for this version?

No.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: