Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS for OFF-ROAD cycling
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS for OFF-ROAD cycling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jezthewhite
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: GPS for OFF-ROAD cycling Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a good/the best GPS systemto use for off-road cycling.
I would like to plan routes (on my PC) down load them to some cycle mounted device and then be told where to go!
Any one ever tried this - what system do you use?

I have a Medion PNA175- which was sold on this basis but there are not planning functions and no detailed maps with off-road paths, etc.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youd need a pocket pc and somthi ng like memory map is pretty good i have copy myself that ive played with on the pc and them loaded to the ppc but havent used it in anger yet

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes, Memory Map is one of the best to plan your route on a PC using its Ordnance Survey Maps (£50 upwards depending on scale and area). If you are definitely going to plan your route in advance, then you can transfer the route (a list of waypoints joined by straight lines) to a Handheld GPS like one of the Garmin Etrexs on a bicycle mount. That can give you a visible arrow on the screen pointing to the next waypoint, and also log your track and give trip data (distance, etc.).

However, if you want a "moving map" display on your bike then you will have to use a Pocket PC (with GPS support). You can transfer the MM maps, and any planned routes, onto it (assuming you have a sufficiently large memory card). I don't know if your Medion can run PPC applications, but if not you can at least use it to decide if this type of display screen will be acceptable on a bike.

I don't know of ANY system that can give you "voice" instructions, because OS mapping does not include routing data. OS maps are just a "pattern of colours", so the GPS doesn't know if, for example, blue represents a motorway or a river (OK, I know you can't cycle on either Smile ).

IMHO, PDAs are not rugged enough, and the screens not clear enough, for outdoor/cycling use, so I would recommend the Handheld GPS, but you must judge for yourself.

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memory Maps & a Mio 168 work fine for me on my MTB.

I would be lost without it now & used it riding the south downs way last year never loosing my way or taking a wrong turn.

You can go where you want with no worry about getting lost unless you run out of batterys that is :D .
Reider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a lot of off road cycling but have only recently purchased my present setup. I mostly do trail riding and these, especially the Trans Pennine Trail, are pretty well signposted. However, sometimes the signs are open to pretty wide interpretation and/or hidden from view. Many times the cyclist has to come off the trail and use a back road as part of the route, these very often are not as well signposted as the trail itself.

In instances like these, the use of a Pocket PC with Sat/Nav or a dedicated unit is a very much needed confidence builder. There are times also, where the cyclist finds time is at a premium, trails are often slower than normal routes and he/she has to get back onto normal roads to complete the journey to home/destination, being able to find your location and devise a route is invaluable!

Added bonuses of finding a garage (air supply and/or refreshments) is a brilliant concept. So glad I got into all this, sorry for going off the plot slightly Wink

Steve

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: