Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New BETA 5.01 Software- VIA's on c310??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New BETA 5.01 Software- VIA's on c310??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainbow-Lentil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: New BETA 5.01 Software- VIA's on c310?? Reply with quote

:D Hi there- new to the forum. Have just received Garmin e-mail; new Beta 5.01 software for c310. Says it has "added support for via points". Have loaded it successfully- still none the wiser though.

Anyone else tried or got any advice??
Thanks
AnotherBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. I was hoping to find some more detail in the text file that came with the download, but it just says "Added support for via points." the same as it said in the notification e-mail.
The V4.80 software offered no support for waypoints. I've tried going through the routing process after carrying out the upgrade but at no time was I invited to enter a waypoint.
Like the original poster, I'd like to know what this "added support" is.
Ericd
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded Beta 5.01 succesfully and found that that you can enter and save a waypoint by doing the following. Choose a Favourite of Recent Selection. Then choose view map. Touch a point on the map which you wish to store. An arrow will appear, you may need to enlarge the map to ensure the arrow is in the right place, then at the bottom of the screen you will notice a new Save button. Select this and the indicated point will be saved to your Favorite Location Folder. You can then edit and name it in the normal manner.

I have gone back to the previous 4.80 software for other reasons but if you should also do this you will have to reinstall your maps.

Hope this makes sense.
Regards,
Ericd.
P.S. My Garmin is a C320 but I would imagine the above applies to a C310 as well.
Rainbow-Lentil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Eric- yes I think that "Save" button is new. I've got as far as selecting the waypoint and saving it. This just saves it as a favourite though. How do you incorporate it into a route to somewhere else??
Ericd
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Rainbow,
I don't think that you can incorporate it into a route. What I would do is leave it as a Favourite, route myself to that point and then on to the nextpoint having also saved that as a favourite and so on. If you don't wish to make any particular point or as Garmin call it a VIA a favourite you can always use the Recent Selection menu.

Have fun.
Ericd
AnotherBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This facility isn't really viapoints is it? Not in the same way that other devices allow you to plan a route in advance with any number of viapoints, without having to instruct the device at every stage.

Eric... I'd be interested to know why you reverted to the earlier software.
Ericd
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anotherbob,
I reverted because I was unable to make the the Safety Camera Database operate in its old format which I prefer. Its a personal thing and as at this time I have no need of the updated Garmin 5.01 software for any other reason I am quite happy using 4.08. It maybe that in time I shall change my mind. For information I also use the older P.O.I. Loader Software.
Regards
Ericd
AndyArk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just worked this out today on my C320 - What you do is, start a route with you final end destination, locate your via point & start a route to that (Do not stop the 1st route), it will ask you if you want to incorporate the new point into the main route. Don't know yet if you can add further points, I'll play with it at then weekend.

Andy
Rainbow-Lentil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy is right!! Just (finally!!) had a reply from Garmin. Basically, you cannot do this unless you have Satellite reception (indoors planning in advance is no good). Get reception, and plan a route to FINAL destination. Press GO. Then press menu and "where to?" to select another point by whichever method (favourites, browse, find address etc). Press GO again, and it will ask (by TEXT) if you want to use this 2nd location as a via. Answer YES (obviously). Off you go!. Tried it at the weekend, and it works.

Have not yet tried it with more than ONE via. Fingers crossed.........
Ericd
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just been playing around as suggested by Rainbow , last post, but could not make it incorporate more than one via, but I did manage to use it indoors in simulation mode. If we all keep trying different ideas with a bit of luck somebody may come up with something else.
Regards
Ericd
AndyArk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played with this at the weekend & yep it doesn't like adding more than 1 via point. The destination is kept but the 1st via point is discarded.

One problem i've found from the 5.01 release (on the C320) is that the bitmaps for POI's are not recognised anymore. I tried various POI files including ones that used to work with firmware 4.8 & all you get now is the default "dot in a box". Mailed Garmin & got sent the POI loader instruction manual! I've mailed them back asking them to pass the problem onto the s/w team.
Ericd
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyArk,
I'm with you, have tried always to get a bitmap in there without any luck, it will be interesting to see if Garmin alter the software as the POI Loader help file still says that you can use bitmaps. Lets hope that this is a minor hiccup with the Beta version. I am also going to E mail Garmin about this, the more the merrier.
Ericd
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning POIs, I now have a c310. I had an I3 before. The images I used for the I3 were 21x21 .bmp in 256 colours. These still work on the c310 but it seems that The image format allows for more that 21 x 21 on the c310/c320 etc, does anyone know what the max size and colours is for poi.bmps for C310/c320.
AndyArk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcb - I cant check this now that POI BMP's aren't working! I guess you could load up the previous formware & experiment with bitmap sizes?
Ericd
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcb,
The P.O.I. Loader Help file recommends 24 x 24 pixels or smaller for most Garmin products
Ericd

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: