Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Solution to low voice command output
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Solution to low voice command output

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
russgunn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Solution to low voice command output Reply with quote

Apart from the usual powered PDA mount to increase volume on some PDA's voice command output levels, there is possibly another option... Creative, makers of PC sound cards, speakers, graphics cards and the like have brought out a travellers speaker for CD, MP3, Laptop's and PDA's etc. It's not only very compact but is fairly powerful by all accounts. It can either be powered by batteries or 5v DC (not suitable for 12v lighter socket obviously, but never mind). It also includes a 3.5mm jack lead so you can connect it straight into your PDA's output. The batteries will last up to 35+ hours which is reasonable considering those with Bluetooth may have to charge their receiver batteries up every 5-6 hours.

It's pretty good looking and I'd imagine could be stowed away underneath the steering wheel or in the footwell of the car. Even on the dash wouldn't look daft.

Take a look...

Creative Travel Sound

At around £49.99 from PC World though may be a little too much. However, I'm sure some online retailers could achieve a better price. It may be a better solution of you want to take it out of the car for added volume with games or other apps, or perhaps just need even more power than what an Arkon or Seidio mount can produce.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Solution to low voice command output Reply with quote

Looks pretty good - the only shame so far as I can tell is that there's only a single input (the hi-res photo of the sockets appears to show a power input, an audio input and a headphone socket) - so no chance of mixing the outputs of two devices together without extra hardware.

David
russgunn
Regular Visitor

What two devices would you use David? PDA and mobile perhaps? PDA and CD/MP3 player?
longitude
Regular Visitor

I have just used my ipaq/tomtom softeware for the first time and the sound quality is an area that could certainly be improved and the solution of a powered travel speaker is attractive apart from price. It strikes me that it's loud enough but at full volume overloads the little speaker in the ipaq to the point of distortion. So I wondered if anyone had tried taking the earphone socket output straight into a small unpowered speaker?
nissemus
Occasional Visitor

Actually, even using Creative's speaker it still comes out distorted. It does on my 2210, anyway.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

If it comes out distorted check to make sure you dont have the 2210 at max volume. It should be at about 75% as the distortion is bein g introduced by the internal amplifier. Your powered speakers will then be able to be turned up a bit and should sound a lot better.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Russ,

Yes - you had guessed my thoughts. I have no personal application for this, but some might and I didn't want them to be confused by what looked, superficially, like two input sockets.

David
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by longitude on 27 August 2003

So I wondered if anyone had tried taking the earphone socket output straight into a small unpowered speaker?

I just dug out a small pair of unpowered speakers and tried them with my Ipaq 3870. They give excellent sound quality and also improved volume compared with the internal speaker. I'll be installing them in the car on Monday! I think I remember getting them a long time ago with a PC sound card, but they are marked as being a CD Speaker System, input power 3W, impedance 4 ohms.

russgunn
Regular Visitor

In my recent experience, and as MikeB says, if you use external speakers you'll need to drop the PDA system volume down and let the speakers take the load by turning them up. Remember also to drop the volume using the PDA's external buttons as well, to about 50%. Like any audio system, getting the right balance is paramount. You don't want too much unwanted hiss from a low output signal into a high volume setting on the speaker. Nor do you want the distortion associated with the opposite settings.

The internal amp of any PDA will truly be pants and should never be stressed if you want decent quality. Also, if you intend to use external speakers then it's not necessary to install the 'LOUD' files of the voice commands (TTN), not sure if other software has this option. I have found that these optional 'LOUD' files are more likely to create further distortion problems by their nature.

By the way, now that I have connected my 3.5mm jack output to my Aux input of my Pioneer headunit I no longer need my Creative Travel Sound speaker. Anyone want to make me an offer?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

i use a unpowered cb speaker and its not much better than the 2210s own speaker but it does place the sound nearer

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: