Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPSAssist or POI Warner?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPSAssist or POI Warner?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
russgunn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: GPSAssist or POI Warner? Reply with quote

This has probably been asked a million times before and it may well be in the wrong forum but can anyone briefly explain the differences between these two add ons?

I basically want a package that warns me, via voice warnings rather than buzzer warnings, of up coming speed cameras and possibly a few other types of POI's. I want to be able to record a speed camera position instantly as I drive past it as I've noticed the latest version of POI Sync has some missing in my area. I also need to know how to send these new cameras back to PocketGPS in order to help you maintain your database. Is it easier with POI Warner or GPSAssist?

I know they are similarly priced but which one is worth getting?

I'm running a 5450 with TTN2 Bluetooth GPS on PPC 2002.

Thanks.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: GPSAssist or POI Warner? Reply with quote

CheckPOInt 2.0.2 will seemingly do all you want for free - get it from this site's download page.

Admittedly you'll have to record your voice warnings (or generate them with that online voice synthesis demo that has been mentioned in the past), but any .wav file recorded using the right settings (which I'm afraid I can't remember from the top of my head) will work.

Version 2.0.2 makes it easy enough to submit changes and deletions (all you have to do is email CheckPOInt.ov2 to the PocketGPS team). You do have to program a hardware button when installing CheckPOInt (and make sure it's set to <Default> in the TomTom Navigator 2 Properties screen) - then you press that to record a POI.

Version 3 makes all this much harder!

GPSAssist has a great feature set, but is becoming increasingly outdated, and has caused major problems on various people's Pocket PCs, as it drops something like 30 files in the Windows folder when installed! One well documented problem was Chorlie finding it disabled Windows Media Player on his Axim X5. There is talk of a rewrite, but the developer is busy after a change of job.

If it is ever rewritten, I'll be very interested. Until then, it's going nowhere near my iPAQ!

I don't believe POI Warner offers anything for users of the PocketGPS database that CheckPOInt doesn't.

David
russgunn
Regular Visitor

Thanks David, that's very helpful. I'll give Checkpoint a shot. Can you just explain what happens when I press the hardware button that I associate with capturing a new safety camera? I suspect it just creates a new ov2 file with the exact GPS co-ordinates at the time of pressing? Therefore, I really need to press it exactly at the point of passing? Do I have to manage this ov2 file in anyway before e-mailing to the team, like give it a name or format it in anyway to let you know it's safety camera and not a beach!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: