Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Update on the CP6 patch
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Update on the CP6 patch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now had a bit of a look at the PC componet.

Something which concerns me, is the way in which the PC application fails to keep in step with the PPC one. I appreciate, that it is the lesser used component, but it is a significant feature that CoPilot has over the competition.

First we had the London congestion zone warning not included (still not included), and now we have the Avoid Propane-Restricted Tunnel missing; but at least Routing profiles have been added.

The changes I can see, are that you no longer have the ability to choose the symbol for grouped POIs, however, the one chosen is the same as for the PPC, thus ensuring consistency.

A 'Live' tab has been added to the Options, but since I don't use 'Live' - I don't have any comments (cue another forum member to add details)

Advanced Routing Option was previously accessed via a button on the Trip Options screen, it is now a separate Tab, and has been brought up-to-date by the addition of Routing profiles. But we have lost the ability to set anything for ferries (now consistent with PPC, but should ferries have been added to the PPC rather than taken away from the PC?), and the descriptions have reverted to the American Freeways and Divided highways - yet they were correctly shown in v6.0.0.68 (PC) and are correctly shown in the latest PPC version.

So we now have:

PC
Freeways - 55mph
Divided highways - 30mph
Primary Roads - 20mph
Secondary Roads - 15mph
Local Streets - 10mph

PPC
Motorways - 65mph (+10mph)
Dual Carriageways - 45mph (+15mph)
Primary Roads - 30mph (+10mph)
Secondary Roads - 25mph (+10mph)
Local Streets - 18mph (+8mph)

With avoid/favour stops in PPC being either the equivalent value of two stops on the PC, or the range of weighting being much reduced.

There have also been changes to the user manual, which now reflects the current position better, but to be honest, on first looks, it appears to be an even better reflection of v6.0.0.68 rather than than the new 6.0.1.68.

I haven't scrutinized the help file yet - but on first glance it also looks as if the changes made for 6.0.1.68 are also not fully reflected.

Obvioulsy, since the patch has only just been released, these are only my initial observations, I haven't had chance to play with many of the settings yet. I am just hoping that by highlighting the changes which I have noticed, it may prompt others to look and test deeper.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to say that the updated manual (pdf file) is installed when you update the PC application.

It is accessible via Start | All Programs | CoPilot - PocketPC 6 | User Manual (for Windows XP default CoPilot install)
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting frustrated! I downloaded the patches last night, and set about installing them today. I decided to follow the card reader route, and so first installed the desktop patch. It all seemed to go smoothly, but when I opened the desktop version it showed that it had not updated - the version number still showed as 6.0.1.22. I tried 2 or 3 times, rebooting in between, but nothing happened.
I wondered if this patch wouldn't work on the US upgrade I had installed, so uninstalled it from my PC and reinstalled 6.0.0.68 from my CD Roms. When I applied the update patch to this and opened it, it still showed version number 6.0.0.68.
So it appears that the patch I have downloaded, pocket6_patch.exe, doesn't change whatever I have on the desktop PC, even though it seems to be installing from the on-screen display. I think some of you have installed the desktop patch satisfactorily - did you do anything different from the instructions which I printed out from the web?
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2

My installation of the patch immediately updated my desktop version to CP 6.0.1.68. What I did was to download and save both patches (PPC & PC) into a fresh directory on my hard drive, then double click them to install.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ponderous,

That's exactly what I did. All the indications on screen were that it was installing exactly as described in the instructions. It was only when I opened it and went to Help/About CoPilot that I saw the version number hadn't changed. In case the installation file was corrupt I downloaded it again - all 23 MB at a painfully slow download speed - but it was exactly the same.
I even had problems installing onto my PDA using Active Sync. The automatic routine didn't work, but I used WinZip Classic to put the 2577 and CoPilot folders onto my desktop, then did a copy and Paste onto my Storage card. That worked OK, so I do have 6.0.1.68 on the PDA, with Safety Camera alerts working. I thought even that was going to cause me problems, because it took an age to get a satellite fix. Although GPS status showed 4 satellites acquired, with a Lat and Long position, when I tried to Navigate it said Waiting to get a GPS fix (or words to that effect). Eventually, after it showed 7 satellites, it suddenly sprang to life, and seemed to work OK from then on.
Robin
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I eventually managed to install 6.0.1.68 on my PC. I created a new folder on the desktop and used WinZip Classic to extract all the files in pocket6_patch.exe into the folder. I then opened it and clicked on Setup.exe and a Command window appeared and executed the setup routine.
6.0.1.24 ran setup.exe automatically, but the only way I could get the latest one to run was to do it manually.
Hope if anyone else has the same problem the above will help
Robin
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2, it's not a great deal of help to say it, but your problem reminds me of the time when I got CP 6.0.0.68 the second time I installed from my CP 6.0.0.77 disks.

There seem to be various inconsistencies when it comes to installation, the differences between which seem to have no obvious cause. Presumably someone at ALK has some kind of explanation; however, it's a case of getting it from them. I raised 6.0.0.77/68 issue with ALK, but never heard from them with an answer.

Confused Confused Confused
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also trying the US version when the update unexpectedly appeared. Like you, with it being a non UK version I uninstalled it first and re-installed from scratch, but fortunately, I had changed the road colours, and was suprised to see that the changes were still there - something was obviously not being deleted/updated.

When I looked at the program folders after I uninstalled the product once again - they were not empty, so I deleted the C:\Program Files\CoPilot\PocketPC6 directory, and re-installed, this time without any problems.

As it was so obvious in my case that there was a problem with something left behind from a previous installation, I didn't continue with it - I didn't even look at the version numbers.

The problem may simply be that the patch will only correctly update a UK version of the program, or even a version 6.0.0.x one.

As for creating the Quickstart card, if you can, use a card reader rather than ActiveSync.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a theory as to why it won't install on my machine. Perhaps there is a stray setup.exe file lurking somewhere in my computer and the installation program, after it has unzipped the files, latches onto the wrong one. Unfortunately, setup.exe is a name used by many installation routines. CoPilot could avoid this by giving their setup program a unique name, so that the installation utility can't get confused.
I wasted about 4 hours before I got 1.0.1.68 installed on my PC and PDA
Robin
SupraCoPilot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks to me that this patch was worth the wait. Instead of just fixing the POI warning timeout they have actually improved the software by separating the speed cameras from POIs, and allowing different settings for each. They also seem to have slightly simplified the loading of the patch, although as Ponderous says it can be much easier still. :D

Garmin Nuvi 255WT
Mio 168
CoPilot 6.0.4.110
tyro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

[quote="neil01"]First thoughts on the new patch

Map:
A Preview route tick box has been added. This change is reflected on the Going to screen, where the Start Driving button is replaced with a Preview route button (the Close button will still take you directly to the navigation screen).

I downloaded and applied the new patch-not without difficulty, but I think that was due to the intrusion of Norton Security- but I can't find the Preview option neil 01 mentions. My Going to screen still shows the 3 options of New trip, Add stop and Start driving. I agree a preview would be very useful because before the patch you could only view a map of the trip in guidance mode.
Any comments?
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to go into settings and select the map option. At the bottom of the page tick the box to select preview.
If it's not there, check that you really do have 6.0.1.68 installed. I had a number of false attempts before I gave up on CoPilot's automatic setup routine and did it manually
Robin
nivek22
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: update Reply with quote

tyro wrote:
Quote:

but I can't find the Preview option neil 01 mentions.

Try - Settings/Map then scroll to the bottom - Preview Route
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: update Reply with quote

tyro wrote:
..I downloaded and applied the new patch-not without difficulty, but I think that was due to the intrusion of Norton Security- but I can't find the Preview option neil 01 mentions. My Going to screen still shows the 3 options of New trip, Add stop and Start driving. I agree a preview would be very useful because before the patch you could only view a map of the trip in guidance mode.
Any comments?

I too have Norton Internet Security (2005). I have also noted issues installing CoPilot unless it is disabled during CoPilot Installation (as recommended by ALK)

I am normally quite suspicious of anything which requires any protection disabling before it installs, but I have not found anything untoward. As a suspicious person (or security conscious) if I ever have to disable any anti-virus protection/firewall etc. I ensure that my internet connection in not live, going so far as to remove the cable, since it is quite possible for software to make its own connection.

While I am not saying this is the case in this particular case, but speaking generally, it is quite possible that a patch/upgrade will not install as intended, not because of any problem with the patch itself, but because of a problem with the installation it is upgrading. Consequently, it may be worthwhile disconnecting your internet connection (physically), disabling any antivirus software etc, uninstall CoPilot, delete any files left behind, re-install from the original disks then apply the new patch to see what happens.

It is often worthwhile to re-start the PC between each step, but remember that any security may need to be disabled again.

As for the new patch, my gut feelings are that there are issues if the initial installation from CD has been tinkered with, or has had the US Patch applied, even when uninstalled, and re-installed from the original CDs unless any files left behind are deleted first.

As I posted earlier, in my case, 'evidence of previous tinkering' remained, so the reasonable assumption to make is that something was left behind which subsequently caused me a problem; and that 'something' was probably in the folders I deleted the next time around.

With the update to the PPC, since I only really use my PDA for navigation, Being a software tester by profession, I know that there are so many diferrent combinations and permutations which can (and will) cause problems, and that it is not possible to test each of them, that I have a backup (pre CP installation), whcih I restore, and then re-install CoPilot, knowing that there is nothing left behind from a previous installation to cause any problems.

With this particular patch, I did not upgrade my Quickstart card, but deleted the CoPilot and 2577 directories, re-creating them using the updated PC application. My actions were nothing to do with any particular lack of confidence with either the program or ALK, but simply because the patch is so much of a change (I feel 6.1.x.x, rather than 6.0.1.x would have been justified) I am happier starting from scratch, just to be sure.

Through experience (professionally), I also know that the route I follow is probably similar to the one many of the testers will probably use (or should use) during basic testing, so consequently any problems found there will have been adressed.
sirhardi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tired to install this for ?US version without success as well.
Dos Window opens up extracts to a folder that doesn't exist at all ???
Manually extracting files vi Winrar and running install doesnt do a thing either.
No bnorton at all, runniong avast here.
About shows

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: