Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help connect my SPVm200 and Holux GPSlim 236 for tomtom!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help connect my SPVm200 and Holux GPSlim 236 for tomtom!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaboker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Help connect my SPVm200 and Holux GPSlim 236 for tomtom! Reply with quote

I have an SPVm2000 and a Holux GPSlim 236. I have installed Tomtom 5 onto the PDA but cannot get both devices cannected. Does anyone have any idiot proof instructions on how I can do this?
Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn ON Bluetooth on SPVM2000
Turn ON GPS, wait for Blue LED to flash
On the phone go to Bluetooth Manager, select New, then select "Explore a Bluetooth device", it should find HOLUX GPSlim236, select it.
On service selection, select SPP Slave, Next then Finish.
From the Bluetooth My Shortcuts screen (which will be the one you are at), Tap and Hold the Holux icon select "Connect" from the pop-up box.
Run up TomTom, go to change preferences/ show GPS status, press the configure button select "Other Bluetooth GPS", press continue.
Then select Bluetooth serial port COM6: To see the full line of text you might be easier putting the device into landscape screen before setting up- it just makes it easier to see the text.
Check top RH of GPS Status Screen that the yellow/ Blue disk is spinning, take it all outside and wait a few mins (upto 20 for the first time) after this set-up all you do in future is switch on the GPS unit, then fire up TomTom, TomTom will switch on the Bluetooth and connect automatically to the GPS (given time 10/15 seconds)
The above works with my XDAIIs which is the same unit, appart from the ROM and badges - Mike
jaboker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice. I've tried exactly what you said and on the Tomtom GPS status screen, it comes up with no gps device. I've waited for an hour or so, to see if it resolves itslef but no joy. Any ideas?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off does the yellow/ blue disk spin if not then something is set-up incorrectly, if you follow the instructions it should work - My unit does. Have you ever used the GPS unit with TomTom3 ?, if the disk spins but no data transfers the GPS unit could be set to output SiRF data protocol, if this is the case you need to switch it back to NMEA mode as TomTom5 doesn't supprt SiRF, you can use the driver from TomTom 3 which you can download from this link http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=13 to achieve this - Mike
jaboker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the disc doesn't spin. I have never used it with tomtom 3.

Sad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the disk isn't spinning then it must be a comunication problem between the phone and the GPS unit, when you tap and hold the Holux icon in Bluetooth Shortcuts then select connect as depicted above in my earlier post do you get two small green arrows under the icon to highlight the conection, if so do they stay there? - i.e. try to set-up TomTom if it fails again go back to the Bluetooth Manager and check the icon Holux GPSlim236: SPP slave is showing as still connected - Mike
jaboker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2 green arrows stay there for a few minutes, and the flashing blue light on the holux 236 flashes once every 3 or so seconds. Once I am in tomtom and on the screen with the GPS status, and the disc in the top right corner, the flashing blue light on the holux 236 eventually starts to flash every second, indicating the bluetooth connection has been lost. Lo and behold when I go to the bluetooth manager, the connection has been lost. Is there any option in the bluetooth options that leaves it connected?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connect the BT GPS to the phone, then in TomTom go to preferences/ Show GPS Status try the Other NMEA GPS setting, put the BAUD speed to 38400 on the last screen select Bluetooth serial port Com6 see if this alternate setting willl help.
If the above doesn't work either then only time I have experianced this behaviour was due to some additional software I had loaded which the device didn't like, I therefore hard reset the device to put it back to factory default - Not an easy one to recommend though as you will loose everything that is currently on the PDA, if you do choose this, have a look at your phone suppliers web site for an updated ROM to load onto it. This will generally improve the device with the latest device drivers etc. - Mike
jaboker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help mike. I've finally got it working. All I did was do a fectory reset and it works now!

The only problem now is, when I try to navigate to an adress or postcode, I don't get the A-Z keyboard on the screen! Any ideas?
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 'no keyboard' issue was fixed in an update. Are you running the latest version from the Tom Tom website?
Holux GPSslim
jaboker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using version 5.000 (4890) of tomtom. Great-Britain-map v562. Any links to where I can get the keyboard update?
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

er....... www.tomtom.com
Holux GPSslim
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you want is TTN5,21 as pointed out this avail from www.tomtom.com for free, the no keyboard issue is a known problem on these devices if using TTN5,0 - glad to hear you got it working though - Mike
jaboker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the help guys, finally got it sorted with the update from the website!

:D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: